Is the pandora open hardware?

ripkirby

Still Fresh
I'm just wondering if the pandora hardware blue prints (haha i don't really know what it's called) open for anyone to see?

I'm just wondering if the pandora hardware blue prints (haha i don't really know what it's called) open for anyone to see?
yes i believe m weston released it.Not sure where it is though.It is available though.edit What wizardstan said.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it isn't. There is not enough information for you to be able to build one yourself, as would be required of open hardware.

There is, however, enough information and support about all the contacts for you to cut and attach and mod pretty much anything to it.

No, it isn't. There is not enough information for you to be able to build one yourself, as would be required of open hardware.

There is, however, enough information and support about all the contacts for you to cut and attach and mod pretty much anything to it.
Ah, really? Darn. They should release blueprints. If not now, then eventually. Two Months?

and craig would be the first to buy those knockoffs, besides, not even GPH wanted to take on a handheld so complex, so why would some no name even bother to try, tho im sure theres money in it on the ebay side of things, and i would be all for releasing some case schematics so 3rd party companies can create something for us

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm asking 'cause I had an idea about a tablet app but have no real handle on development on an ARM device except (well not yet 'cause I'm still waiting) the pandora. I was thinking it would be neat if I'd be able to make like a tabletized version of the pandora.

Actually thinking about it now, maybe I can do it on the beagleboard.

But yeah once I get my pandora I'm gonna really ramp up the development.

Thanks for the info guys.

Actually thinking about it now, maybe I can do it on the beagleboard.

But yeah once I get my pandora I'm gonna really ramp up the development.

The Beagle Board is a pretty good place to work until you get your Pandora. The controls aren't there, but if it compiles and runs on the BB, it shouldn't take much to make it compile and run on the Pandora. If you make your code generic enough, adding in the extra controls for the Pandora shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

The Pandora is not open hardware and will never be, and there is no way OPT can change that. For it to be truly open hardware, the chips it uses would have to be, too. See for example the discussion of the open pandora wikipedia entry :)

Back