Is The Gp2x Obsolescent Already?

erikthecat

Still Fresh
a friend was going to buy a GP2X, but has been put off by the release of the new model.
he feels that this release will stifle development on the first edition GP2X's,
and that this will only speed the pace of the older model becoming unsupported?
as developers will have to code for different models with different hardware or something

is the new model any threat and the quickest way to kill off the GP2X?

is he right in his thinking or is he making a mountain out of a molehill?

i must add that i have a GP2X and am more than happy with it,
MAME all i wanted it for, call me narrow minded. i'm probably missing a whole lot, i did find the Vectar game, that is very gool, retro Mmmmmmmm :)

i just don't know much about the inner workings or programming:(

It's a new screen and a rotated joystick. I don't think it's gonna be unsupported, since, you know, it's the exact same hardware in both of them.

Unless he's talking about the gpx or gpx mini, you never know, thought this has been handled already.

erikthecat posted on May 16 2006 at 10:44 AM said:
a friend was going to buy a GP2X, but has been put off by the release of the new model.
he feels that this release will stifle development on the first edition GP2X's,
and that this will only speed the pace of the older model becoming unsupported?
as developers will have to code for different models with different hardware or something

is the new model any threat and the quickest way to kill off the GP2X?

Developers do not have to code for different models. From a coder's perspective it's 100% the same. The issue is nonexistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
erikthecat posted on May 16 2006 at 09:44 AM said:

Worse, he is making a mountain out of a perceived, though non-existent mole hill.

It is no different with PC motherboards, they go from revision to revision, no changes, all the bioses still work on all revisions.

It makes no difference to programs and games.

What's more, the XGP is only slightly more advanced than the GP2X, and even that conclusion is completely subjective. It's certainly not like buying a next generation handheld.

well, in terms of 3d it is, and if it realy haves a fpu it will be much faster with many other things as well, BUT if it runs linux there are good cahnces that gp2x stuff will be compatible with it and vica versa, at least as long as they dont use special hardware.

ermm... tell your friend: ITS A LINUX CONSOLE.

support from the linux codebase is *not going to go away*.

as linux gets SDL games, so does GP2X.

Regarding the XGP, it seems it's only barely a prototype at this point anyway, and we won't see it this year. If you wait long enough I'll guarantee that someday a better platform will come along.

I was kind of disappointed that the current state of those new handhelds appears to be "we hope to make some machines someday that look something like these prototypes, but the details aren't certain". All in good time I suppose.

Khatoblepas posted on May 16 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
It's a new screen and a rotated joystick. I don't think it's gonna be unsupported, since, you know, it's the exact same hardware in both of them.
where can I find that model? is it still named GP2X F-100?

and how do I see the diference in a store? (whether they have new or old stock).

is the joystick cap better? more like DaveC or would you still get a DaveC one?

the thing is, I've been waiting for this version to be out; the question now if there are already stores with it on stock based in europe :(

And wheren't the NAND chips on it supposed to be upgraded from 64 to 128MB?

Thanks for the response in advance :)

pedrocasilva posted on May 16 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Khatoblepas posted on May 16 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
where can I find that model? is it still named GP2X F-100?

and how do I see the diference in a store? (whether they have new or old stock).

is the joystick cap better? more like DaveC or would you still get a DaveC one?

the thing is, I've been waiting for this version to be out; the question now if there are already stores with it on stock based in europe :(

And wheren't the NAND chips on it supposed to be upgraded from 64 to 128MB?

Thanks for the response in advance :)

Yes, as far as I know it is still GP2X, I hardly ever hear of F100, don't know about that.

Joystick is being reported as better everywhere, DaveC no longer makes his cap at any rate.

Try EvilDragon and Craigix's stores respectively (UK and Germany), PM or email or call them up at their stores, they will let you know what is happening and help you pre-order a Second edition unit if you desire one.

The rumor was that 64mb chips are beginning to be rare and the same price as 512MB NAND flash chips, no word yet on a switch over, it may not be for a while yet, no big loss at any rate, I felt cramped on a 1GB SD.

Drak posted on May 16 2006 at 08:50 PM said:
512MB NAND flash chips

wth did I miss something. Wasnt it 128MN nand chips? o_O

I mean price-wise I heard 512 were getting as cheap, and if 64mb chips are getting rare, how soon until the 128MB chips are gone too?

I think if it doesn't hurt their bottom line, they might as well go for the 512mb chips when they change over, it will save having to upgrade again in a few months when the 128MB chips go, and then again when the 256mb chips are becoming rare.

Khatoblepas posted on May 16 2006 at 06:46 PM said:

My screen is good though (dont know why they changed it) only that friggin' joystick irritates me more every day. Although, in game I don't seem to have the "refuse to steer left" problem. But can't that be solved by software?

NoidZ posted on May 17 2006 at 05:17 AM said:
Khatoblepas posted on May 16 2006 at 06:46 PM said:

My screen is good though (dont know why they changed it) only that friggin' joystick irritates me more every day. Although, in game I don't seem to have the "refuse to steer left" problem. But can't that be solved by software?

Are you using one of the replacement caps? Those DO make a difference if they are installed properly.

Back