Is Open2X Worth Using? + Missing Nand Space.

christo930

Does anyone use open2x and if so, is it worthwhile? What are the advantages of using it over the stock firmware and are there any disadvantages over the stock firmware? I use 3.0 with a 2.0 loader screen although I am not sure how that happened.

I accidentally formated the built in flash space and now is it only 32mb instead of 64. Would open2x give me that space back? Is there any way for me to get it back otherwise? I remember way back there was a problem with the firmware marking parts of the nand bad and it bricking units because of a bug in the firmware. Is there a workaround that will give me my 64mb back?

Chris

Lot of advantages, just look at the first post in this thread. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47311-open2x-dr7-for-f100-and-f200/page__hl__open2x

I love the faster booting time.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Faster booting time.
-Better picture viewer, file managers and other utilities built in.
-Access to plenty of extra settings.
-If you have a cradle, the additional USB functions are fantastic (such as mapping a USB pad to all GP2X buttons, activated on boot).

These are just off the top of my head, there are many little things. The guys set out to build a superior firmware; they met that goal and then some.

Open2x is a great firmware. Don't hesitate to flash it.
The most advantages are pointed out already. I like the feature, that you can use the new Giana's Return beta and a new GMU version with the GP2x.

Regards,
Stephan

I flashed the Open2x FW and must say I am a bit dissapointed.
Some points: boots longer then the original FW, the Gmenu2x is awful (IMHO), no Media I tried played (avi and mp4).
Games (airstrike) worked flawless.
Maybe something is / went wrong during install. When I find some time I will investigate further.

BR
paines

PS: Using F100.

Appenidx: I checked again and found out that indeed the booting is quicker. Videos work too know. I guess
my SD card was faulty which lengthened the boot process and fucked up video playback. Now everything is great.

Some specific things makew it worth it ..

On an F200, many of them have a huge speaker volume problem; in the normal FW on my F200, it is _ALWAYS_ LOUD. The minimum volume is loud enough to wake a sleeping baby across the house, its brutal.

Open2x includes an audio scaler. That alone was huge.. th F200 was useless without it :) (I ended up cutting the 1/8th inch plug off old headphones and leaving it in the f200, so it was silent.. wtf. Open2x to the rescue! :)

jeff

skeezix said:
On an F200, many of them have a huge speaker volume problem; in the normal FW on my F200, it is _ALWAYS_ LOUD. The minimum volume is loud enough to wake a sleeping baby across the house, its brutal.

Open2x includes an audio scaler. That alone was huge.. th F200 was useless without it :) (I ended up cutting the 1/8th inch plug off old headphones and leaving it in the f200, so it was silent.. wtf. Open2x to the rescue! :)

jeff

Definitely! Completely forgot about that highly annoying aspect of the F200. Open2X surely fixed that.

christo930 said:
Does anyone use open2x and if so, is it worthwhile? What are the advantages of using it over the stock firmware and are there any disadvantages over the stock firmware? I use 3.0 with a 2.0 loader screen although I am not sure how that happened.

I accidentally formated the built in flash space and now is it only 32mb instead of 64. Would open2x give me that space back? Is there any way for me to get it back otherwise? I remember way back there was a problem with the firmware marking parts of the nand bad and it bricking units because of a bug in the firmware. Is there a workaround that will give me my 64mb back?

Chris

Thanks to those who replied. I wrote to the guy who wrote the nand blanker and he informed me that it's supposed to be 32mb, it's the entire nand that is 64mb. Of course, the built in games won't fit in the 32mb so I can't put them back. Does anyone have a dump of the value pak so I can put it back? I'd like to have the built in games back.

Back