Is It Possible To Port Half-life?

C

Consequence_9

Hello, just wondering if it was at all possible to port Half-Life 1 to the GP2X, and i know there is a DOOM TC of it, but i've played it and it's totally not worth it. Half-Life would be able to fit on a 2 gig stick and the GP2X should be powerful enough to run it (most likely just in low-res, but hey...the min. system requirements for HL are 400mb space, 133mhz processer, and 24mb of ram, all of which the GP2x has almost double). The main problem would just be the actual coding of the port. Most of you already know that Half-Life is based on a modified Quake engine. Quake 1 has already been ported, with 2 on the way. With someone who knows what they're doing code-wise, it seems possible to me. What do all of you think?

Hello, just wondering if it was at all possible to port Half-Life 1 to the GP2X, and i know there is a DOOM TC of it, but i've played it and it's totally not worth it. Half-Life would be able to fit on a 2 gig stick and the GP2X should be powerful enough to run it (most likely just in low-res, but hey...the min. system requirements for HL are 400mb space, 133mhz processer, and 24mb of ram, all of which the GP2x has almost double). The main problem would just be the actual coding of the port. Most of you already know that Half-Life is based on a modified Quake engine. Quake 1 has already been ported, with 2 on the way. With someone who knows what they're doing code-wise, it seems possible to me. What do all of you think?

ARM Processor MHz != Pentium Processor MHz

'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main problem is that the GP2X has no FPU, so it would be ridiculously slow. And recreating Half Life would be no easy task.

Quake 1 has already been ported, with 2 on the way. With someone who knows what they're doing code-wise, it seems possible to me. What do all of you think?
I'm optomistic to a fault so why not, if your volentering to do it good on you. I'm tired of people saying things are not possible because there is no source available. Valve spent about 3 years adding very advanced technology to the quake engine - skeleton animation, advanced team AI, scripted sequences, true colour lighting, transparency and other brush effects, advanced sound effects, ect. but I dont see any reason why a determined individual shouldnt try to port half-life even if that means just backporting it to the quake engine (using existing bsp tools etc.) with minimal modifications to the engine. I say good luck to anyone who wants to try.
But personaly I would rather see origanal games that I can buy for the gp2x and linux, ports of established games will only take us so far...

I'm tired of people saying things are not possible because there is no source available. Valve spent about 3 years adding very advanced technology to the quake engine - skeleton animation, advanced team AI, scripted sequences, true colour lighting, transparency and other brush effects, advanced sound effects, ect. but I dont see any reason why a determined individual shouldnt try to port half-life even if that means just backporting it to the quake engine (using existing bsp tools etc.) with minimal modifications to the engine. I say good luck to anyone who wants to try.

While reverse-engineering it and trying to build it up from scratch will theoretically produce a usable result, I seriously doubt you'd be done before the GP2X is outdated or the people who care moved on. And even then there's some questions about the feasibility of using the GP2X for this; while it is based on the original Quake source there's a whole lot of floating point math going on in the HL engine.

I'd say it's still best to spend your effort producing new content rather than trying to violate the DMCA reverse-engineering all of HL (though it's probably exempt under the compatibility rules).

It seems vastly unfeasible to replicate 3 years of work spent by a team of professional software engineers, the combined experience of which would outstrip nearly half the Internet at once. ;) Good luck if you do the suicide attempt, though. It might as well be impossible, and anyone who's looked at the source code for a shipping commercial game would be able to figure that out. That's why we say it's "impossible".

It's not impossible, it's just that nobody will do it, and it's a significant time investment to do so.

Makes sense to me, i figured that it would probably be an extreme pain in the @$$ to do *sigh* I guess i'll have to continue my search for Half-Life on the go satisfaction :D

Back