Half-life

Alright guys,

I'm not that in-the-know when it comes to programming and such, so please don't crucify me if this idea is completely retarded. I would love to see Half-life on the Wiz. Anyone know if it's possible? After playing some Doom and Quake on the Wiz, I can't help but feel like it would be abso-fuckin-lutely amazing.

I ran a search in google for "half-life" and "gp2x" to see if there were ever any previous attempts at trying it for the GP2x, and I saw some forum chatter about how it would be awesome if the GP2x were powerful enough to run Half-life at decent speeds.

Since the focus of the conversation was around getting decent speeds on half-life, I assumed (which may very well be wrong, and so I apologize if it is) that it is POSSIBLE to get Half-life running. I also figure, with the increased performance of the Wiz, that maybe it's something that could run, even if it's somewhat laggy.

So can anyone tell me if it's possible? And if it's impossible, would that be because it would be too intensive for the Wiz's CPU? Or because it simply can't be ported?

Cheers,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2x and any of these other open source hand helds, need the source code to port anything, just as the description of this forum section you posted in states.

No source code, no port. Give up the source code is basically giving the game away for free for anyone to do what they want with the game, so Valve giving up the game means they don't care what's done with it and won't make the money off of it anymore.

Give up the source code is basically giving the game away for free for anyone to do what they want with the game, so Valve giving up the game means they don't care what's done with it and won't make the money off of it anymore.
Incorrect.

Opening the source code does not stop any possible revenue stream - what good is the game engine without any of the data that it runs? There's music, graphics, 3d models, level layouts etc that do not tend to be included in a source release. You still have to buy those.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an engine released by Avirox which allowed you to run Half life stuff. don't know much about it though I'm sure it could be ported.

Okie dokie, sorry for wasting everyone's time with this. I knew about the source code thing, but what I couldn't figure out is whether Half-Life had an open-source adaptation or not. I searched half-life and open source on google before posting this and all I could really find was information about the source code to half-life 2 being leaked. I figured if hl2 source was leaked and valve was worried about that, that the source to hl1 was probably available then. I guess I was wrong. Plus the way the people were talking about the possibility of HL on gp2x, I figured it was available.

My bad guys... :(

I shall hang my head in shame.

Back