Is it possible to have micro-switch d-pad for P2?

xiongxioi

Micro-switch is kinda like the switches that can be found in arcade joysticks, but much smaller. 

The only handhelds I know of that are using it are SNK's neogeo pocket color and neogeo x.

It feels great, you know exactly in what directions you are pushing the stick towards and it has much much better force feedback than those silicon pads.

Micro-switch d-pad will be such a great addition for P2. However, I'm asking the possibility and necessity of this proposal. 

So, feel free to comment.

Wouldn't the nice tactile dome layer being used for the iCP2 do?

36e76c1f6a0bd77c1601520dc9c5f968_large.png

I'm not sure there would be any kind of microswitch that would be thin enough to do this. If one could be made, would it be durable enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are really small ones. I think I saw them on a dslite pcb?

Am I the only one who really like the click sound it makes? It feels like popping bubble wraps.
Sometimes some audible feedback would be pleasant. Other times I want to be as silent as possible. Since "clicking" would just be aesthetic I'd prefer it to not be there at all vs having it during the times when I'd prefer my Pandora be quiet.

Would it be possible to have 8 actual switches (micro or membrane) all round the D-Pad NSEW & diagonals.

Reason being that you could enable/disable the diagonals and have a 4 or 8 way d-pad?

Not even sure this would work.

Before I typed it up it seemed a realistic idea now it sounds a bit mad.

Why not just disable diagonals in software? And for that matter simulate the clicking sound in software.

To be honest, I quite like the neo-geo pocket d-pad and I'm quite used to clicking joysticks.

I would love having a NG pocket d-pad, but I'd rather have a silent one, aren't there silent microswitches?

I mean, I'm playing on my pandora when I'm in bed and my girlfriend is at my side, so I don't want to wake her up with *CLICKLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK* 

Micro-switches would be a bad idea. They have hysteresis meaning that the opening of the switch is in a different position than the close. You would end up pressing the button longer than you intended every time.

Dome switches don't have this problem.

The other issue with these kinds of switches is that they are either on or off, they do not have any pressure sensitivity, and some games depend on pressure sensitivity.

It is the usual problem that controls ideal for one game are completely wrong for another.

You know we were talking about replacing the d-pad, not the left nub…

Oh, and there is a reason why many people like the neo-geo pocket "d-pad" it's really accurate and reactive ;)

I love the Neo-Geo pocket D-pad but can't find any internal shots of it, anyone got a link?

Definitely, we should. It just enhances the retro and physical control aspects that we all love so much.

I wouldn't mind if the unit even got a little bigger if we had nice reliable switches that felt good. Never held a NGP but its "D-pad" looks delicious to me.

Back