Is it possible to edit the list of CPU speeds?

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Hi generous supporters!

I was wondering if it's possible to change the list of CPU speeds presented by the configuration item in the system tray.  I'd like a quick way to set the speed to 200MHz for when I'm using it as a simple music player, for example.

FWIW, I searched the user docs wiki and it led me to http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54583-quick-change-cpu-speeds/

That mostly seems to be out of date, but it tells me all I need to know to be able to add a start menu script or desktop icon to change the speed, but it'd be nicer to use the configuration icon instead, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
afaik battery consumption wouldn't make much, if any difference between 800mhz and 200mhz when used the same way, as long as they're both on opp3. A pnd that only needs 200mhz, won't be using all 800mhz for fun

It is possible as of late:

To set custom presets, create the file cpu-speed inside ~/.config-button. Enter each CPU-speed on one line as a number in MHz. Note that the first entry in the file will be the last entry in the CPU-speed menu.
Source

You have to update your system beforehand though

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that might be the bump I need to update my system (want to sort out booting from SD first though)

DaMummy, looks like you're right - battery life at both 150MHz and 1200Mhz was the same, playing music with the screen off.  Must admit I'm still a little confused about OPP levels - it seems to get referred to as Max OPP at various points when you set it, so I assumed it scaled as needed.  Perhaps I need to do more testing to see if dropping the OPP (and reducing the max MHz at the same time, to be safe) helps save battery.

Opp is the voltage level and gets scaled when selecting higher mhz to not freeze the unit.

If you set a low opp level as max. the Pandora cannot be overclocked very high.

When the CPU is idle (even for just a moment) large chunks of it are disabled to save power, meaning that many of the unused clock cycles don't use as much power as they otherwise would (I think)

@Binky Yes, that's what I think it happening too. So if it's doing the same work in the same time, whether it's clocked low and is busy, or clocked fast and is mostly idle, it evens out.

Opp is the voltage level and gets scaled when selecting higher mhz to not freeze the unit.

If you set a low opp level as max. the Pandora cannot be overclocked very high.
Ah, so if I were to clock it low, it'd actually be applying the same voltage regardless of whether I set the max OPP to 3 or 5?

Not even clocking it low, it scales voltage based on CPU usage as well.

Basically there is no practical reason to ever clock the Pandora lower than the maximum speed you can anymore. It used to be beneficial to underclock, back before everything scaled properly, but now it's no problem.

Ah, that's good to know. I suppose clocking it higher and playing 3D DS games 24/7 would shorten the lifetime of the CPU from longer than my remaining years to merely longer than the rest of the Pandora will likely last, but for music playing and general computer use it won't tax the CPU any more than it needs to.

Back