Panel Widget To Adjust Cpu-Speed

HackModford

I was thinking it would be nice to have a Panel Widget that could adjust the cpu speed. Is it possible for anyone to make this?

HackModford said:
I was thinking it would be nice to have a Panel Widget that could adjust the cpu speed. Is it possible for anyone to make this?

I know it's possible to do presets and add them to the panel. How's that?

Last edited by a moderator:
yyyyeeaa--no.

I was hoping for the slider kinda like the brightness widget.

But I guess if it was setup like this...

click icon
dropdown menu (drops up because my panel is on the bottom)
in drop down menu 500mhz 600mhz 700mhz 800mhz 900mhz etc.

I guess that would work just grand.

What we need is some kind of daemon running that can detect if we need more speed out of the cpu and dynamically change it based on the cpu load. Would something like that be cool or what?

SomeGuy99 said:
I know it's possible to do presets and add them to the panel. How's that?
yes please :)

HackModford said:
What we need is some kind of daemon running that can detect if we need more speed out of the cpu and dynamically change it based on the cpu load. Would something like that be cool or what?
I thought this was advertised behaviour already, MAX_CPU_MHZ is the upper limit, and it will auto-scale to account for load. Seems not to be the case though, since adjusting MAX_CPU_MHZ does affect the idle battery runtime indication.
Having a daemon clock down to 200MHz on low load would be easy - how do we know to increase MHz quickly? It might be worth having a delve into the ubuntu arm development to see if there is anything existing which can be re-used.

The ARM devices I have (Nokia n810, HTC Magic) let you set an upper limit, lower limit and a CPU usage threshold to switch between the two. I'm not 100% sure how the switching works though. If it's a low-speed and CPU use goes over x% then it steps up to the higher speed but I don't know when it drops back to the lower speed.

Setting the low speed to low can negatively affect battery life as the CPU usage will go over the switching threshold too often.

I think Pandora would have the same type of frequency switching but I don't know if the lower limit and threshold are exposed to users.

Not exactly what you guys are looking for, but if it's any help I made a PND which will add some preset CPU speeds to the System menu.

Pleng said:
Not exactly what you guys are looking for, but if it's any help I made a PND which will add some preset CPU speeds to the System menu.

Haven't tested yet but great idea. Should be very useful, at least until emulators start having cpu speed settings in their menus.

Pleng said:

Yep. All you need to do is install these scripts (or similar) onto your NAND and then then link to them from the bar. Alternatively you can just use the method I demonstrated for Hotkeys and search-link to the these PND menu entries.

Pleng, are these using the no-root method suggested by Notaz?

SomeGuy99 said:
Pleng said:

Yep. All you need to do is install these scripts (or similar) onto your NAND and then then link to them from the bar. Alternatively you can just use the method I demonstrated for Hotkeys and search-link to the these PND menu entries.

Pleng, are these using the no-root method suggested by Notaz?

Yea they've been updated based on Notaz's feedback. The PND doesn't need to be installed to the NAND, it can be put on an SD Card in the usual way.

Back