is fnes still in the works

angrypants

GP OG
I know ryle is working on fgen a bit now but is he still working on fnes? is it still coming out anytime soon? Sorry to inqure so much but of anything this is what I am really looking forward to. I just remember hearing a few weeks back that tyke was going to post a beta on his site but never did. I know that all of the sounds have been changed and it was stated that that caused a speed hit so if that has set the release back a bit by all means I understand but I just can't waite for this thing.

i can't speak for rlyeh but after watching his various "projects" in the recent past and the notes made of him, it looks like he bounces back and forth between one big one and another. And then rather than release a not-quite there version, he'll shuffle it aside and plunge wholeheartedly into whatever he fancies next.

Sure this sucks because there's been lots of hype about his recent projects, they've been rather high-profile (fNes, Mame Port, Generator port, Genesis Plus port..!) and we all keep getting scads of information and maybe a teaser screen shot/video here and there. But apparently the guy's modus operandi is to do a bunch of work on various projects, then release them all at once when he feels they're ready. Anyway, it sucks 'cause we want it NOW but it doesn't suck 'cause at least someone's doing some work for all us emu-hungry folks..

the best we can do is be supportive, and patient. It's surely no problem every now and then when someone friendly pipes up "what's up with such n such emulator that was getting all this hype last week?" but if lots of people get in a frenzy about it, it's going to do nothing but piss everyone off anyway. So-- hopefully, time will pass and shortly he'll be done! This guy seems capable of quality work from his track record so far, I'm sure we'll all get to enjoy the fruits of his generous labor in due time! In the meantime, enjoy the work of the other authors.. and be thankful that the GP32 scene has picked up the (relatively) enormous amount of steam that it has, it's so much farther along than it's ever been (in such a short amount of time)
..blah blah blah.

IIRC, the emulator is practically finished - it just runs a few games slowly (I imagine it's stuff that already does, eg SMB3 and punchout) and the PCM sound channel wasn't emulated (so you won't get speech in the simpsons, and no synth drums - a minor difference that is BIG in games like SMB3). IMO it's inconsequential if it's fixed much more because it's probably on par with ye olde nesticle by now, and that's a big step. At least it was back in 1997...hang on, it WAS 1997, right? I forget...

He said that it's going to be released soon..... check out the fGEN topic

It's agonizing, but I'd much rather wait longer for a monstrous improvement than have little updates here and there. Rlyeh knows what he's doing. ;)

Back