Is Cubex Meant For The Blu+?

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
I've been enjoying CubeX on my GP32 FLU recently, but there seem to be a series of vertical 'darker' stripes going down the screen, similar to what I've seen when accidentally running the BLU+ version of a program on my FLU.

Is CubeX meant to be run on a BLU+? Is there any way to make it display without the vertical stripes on my FLU?

You'd know if you were running a BLU+ version of software, the screen would be barely readable. Load DrMD and change the LCD setting and you'll get an idea of what to expect. I would guess you are running a normal version of cubex but its just doing something strange with the refresh frequency of the LCD. I'll have a go later on my BLU to see if I get the bars as well.

Well I had a play on cubex and I get the flickering vertical lines as well. I've seem them before on DrMD and they appear when the cpu is overclocked. I imagine cubex is running at 166Mhz or something but it doesn't mention this in the readme. If you got hold of the source I would recommend running at no more than 144Mhz to avoid the flickering lines.

P.S. Cubex is very cool, I've never seen it before. So thanks for the heads up

Later
Reesy

I tried CUBEX v1.0, on some of my flock and found:

NLU @ 150MHZ = no vertical lines (top performer).

NLU (ex FLU) @ 150MHZ = did not get past the "Loading" screen - oh dear! (usually runs anything this NLU).

FLU @ 150MHZ = very minor momentary vertical line/glitch on the menu screens (not in game).

BLU @ 166MHZ = minor momentary vertical line/glitch on the menu screens (not in game).

BLU+ @ 166MHZ = minor momentary vertical line/glitch on the menu screens (not in game).

All the above had fresh cells inserted for the test.

12 little GP's as at this moment. I am trying to teach them to breed so I can ultimately get a "Super GP32".

Sorry, for not being more clear Reesy. I just wanted to do an across the model test. The CPU speed was given, for each unit, as the maximum stable speed obtained by me. This was just to indicate CubeX, runs on a unit that can't run beyond 150MHZ, as well as a unit that can go up to 166MHZ. This was in light of the thought that CPU speed was the concern for the vertical lines/glitches.

P.S. CubeX, is a great game. Really like the 8-bit sounding music. Had the game sitting around doing nothing for ages, sure glad jmetal88, posted. ;)

The game is running at 133 by default.
As I'm using the mirko's sdk, there is a trick to force the screen init for blu, blu+ (button R while launching or something like that).

You can recompile/fix it with the source available here: http://thor.pdroms.de/
(btw, xump3D is using the same engine)

I've done a fix in the 3D lib for the Wiz (gp32spain compo) but I don't remember where it is for the moment...

I'm pleased you like the game.

rtb7 said:
The game is running at 133 by default.
As I'm using the mirko's sdk, there is a trick to force the screen init for blu, blu+ (button R while launching or something like that).

You can recompile/fix it with the source available here: http://thor.pdroms.de/
(btw, xump3D is using the same engine)

I've done a fix in the 3D lib for the Wiz (gp32spain compo) but I don't remember where it is for the moment...

I'm pleased you like the game.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Ace game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back