Blu!

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
I have received my BLU just today: Samsung LCD.

I have played for a few minutes and found that the LCD is not as good as I expected: if I play under the sunlight it is horrible! There are a rainbow effect and vertical lines as if I was playing DrMD in taiwaneseLCD mode on my old GP32 non-lit! Anyway, in the dark it is wonderful :)
I will use the old GP32 when I go out, and the BLU at home <_<

I noticed another difference: when in DrMD I selected taiwaneseLCD mode on the non-lit GP32 I only noticed that vertical (a little darker) lines appeared on the screen, while on the BLU the top part of the screen swaps with the bottom part.

Anyway, I repeat, in the dark it is wonderful :lol:

I also noticed that when I turn off the light the image quality is worse than on the non-lit GP32: darker image, vertical lines and rainbow effect. I think that turning off the light is totally useless, unless you do it when you transfer big files to the SMC. The BLU is made to be played indoor only.

An easy demonstration:

BLU with light turned OFF - flash ON
nolight-flash.jpg

BLU with light turned OFF - flash OFF
nolight-noflash.jpg

BLU with light turned ON - flash ON
light-flash.jpg

BLU with light turned ON - flash OFF
light-noflash.jpg

Result : Classic VS BLU ---> 2-1

Your comments?

xSlipKoRnx posted on Mar 4 2005 at 06:44 PM said:
If it wasn't by the crappy dust... the FLU would be the winner. Without light it's perfect on the outside, and with light on too.

Yes, the FLU keeps the reflective layer, so it is identical to a Classic GP32 in the sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
xSlipKoRnx posted on Mar 4 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
If it wasn't by the crappy dust... the FLU would be the winner. Without light it's perfect on the outside, and with light on too.

I hear ya.
Thankie spray for the wonderful gp32_console

I :wub: it

~Paul

Nova posted on Mar 4 2005 at 05:54 PM said:

I hear ya.

~Paul

My FLU will come soon gp32_console :D gp32_console

The reflective part is the plastic screen (some have modded to glass screen), right?

Did anybody tried to use that old plastic screen for the blu+?

Would that give a better image/no rainbow effects?

Um, no. The FLU is crap with the light on, I had one. The colors are VERY washed out, it can't do blacks, the lighting is very uneven. The contrast in general is horrible.

The only thing it IS better for is non-lit viewing.

Quiest posted on Mar 4 2005 at 07:18 PM said:
The reflective part is the plastic screen (some have modded to glass screen), right?

The reflective layer is behind the LCD, it is not the plastic/glass screen.

The flu is the perfect cameleon, it works great in the daylight, and still lets you play those late night games for a fix.

Really, washed out colors are only an issue if you play at night all the time. Usually you can solve the problem by just turning on a light, and turning off the flu light.

I wish the blu screen didn't turn off, there are some games where pushing select is necessary, like smash gp, and then your light turns off if you hold it too long.

Is there some way to disable the light off thing on the blu, other than in code. I know Dr. MD disables it in code.

greven posted on Mar 4 2005 at 09:38 PM said:
where have you bought it ? is there still normal blu in shop ?

I bought it from Aiken of GP32Games (www.gp32games.com): it was on eBay.
I think there are still BLUs in some shops, but most shoppers ignore the existence of the BLU- (please don't call them BLU+!).

spaceboygp32x posted on Mar 4 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
Nova posted on Mar 4 2005 at 05:54 PM said:

I hear ya.

~Paul

My FLU will come soon gp32_console :D gp32_console

you wont regret it.

played gloop for 5 hours on her last night. a memorable experience indeed.

~Paul

GiG posted on Mar 4 2005 at 07:28 PM said:
Quiest posted on Mar 4 2005 at 07:18 PM said:

The reflective layer is behind the LCD, it is not the plastic/glass screen.

I see...

There must be some difference in manufacture among some BLU's... even among only the BLU+'s... I have a BLU +.... and I have no problems playing it outside. It is very easily visible in daylight conditions with the light off. Though, because of the tint of the plastic screen cover, the picture has a easily noticeable yellow tinge to it. Otherwise, it works great for me in ALMOST any conditions... there have been times, I guess depending on the angle of the sun... often when I'm driving in the car and can't turn any direction I want, then sometimes it's hard to see.

I always found my FLU to be a bit low on light in the day time and washed out at night. My BLU is far better however I haven't given it the 'abroad in the sun playing on a balcony' test yet.

Back