Irrmaple

Cloudef

Maple Story clone project,

Basically it all started when i stumbled into Maple Story media files and check out how they were arranged..
Then i found out the structure and got them loaded into c++ application and thought "This is pretty good way to handle characters and npc's"
So i started to create 2D Engine that supports media formats similar to Maple Story and AngelScript for scripting..

Currently doing Rev3 rewrite of the engine. It uses Irrlicht for 2d/3d, IrrNetLite for networking.
More info and old videos here:

Header File - Blog

Nice, would be lovely if you could get this to pandora and get a server up and going :p

Interesting Concept. I've read a little bit about this MMORPG and I like the idea to try such a Game in 2D Siedeview.
So what can we expect from that port? Compatible online Play with PC Users? A own Server structure? Simply an offline-Game that looks like the MMO or just a rough proof-of-concept?

Butterman said:
Never played Maple Story. I imagine it's full of that anime crap that I hate. :D

Good luck getting it onto the Pandora.
You haven't seen the RIGHT Animes ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So what can we expect from that port? Compatible online Play with PC Users? A own Server structure? Simply an offline-Game that looks like the MMO or just a rough proof-of-concept?

Since it's not a port, it's a flexible 2d engine so developing this may take time. You could expect first a offline demo, but i already have some basic networking going on.. So online in this engine is a priority. It is not restricted who you can play whit. It already compiles under Windows, Linux and Mac.. It should also compile already under Pandora, but i don't have one yet :p

Cloudef said:
Since it's not a port, it's a flexible 2d engine so developing this may take time. You could expect first a offline demo, but i already have some basic networking going on.. So online in this engine is a priority. It is not restricted who you can play whit. It already compiles under Windows, Linux and Mac.. It should also compile already under Pandora, but i don't have one yet :p

:wub:
Maplestory is grindy as hell but it has had me in its clutches for years.

Mapleglobal likes to demand cease and desist on anything even remotely related, so I'd advise you not to use graphics or anything else from it, but to get them from other versions.
Also add a disclaimer stating that all the art is from other versions to any videos and screenshots.

Mapleglobal likes to demand cease and desist on anything even remotely related, so I'd advise you not to use graphics or anything else from it, but to get them from other versions.
Also add a disclaimer stating that all the art is from other versions to any videos and screenshots.

Yeah, I don't have the plan on using any of the media in releases. They are just for reference, as how they handle all the characters and such.. Its a efficient way for a 2d game.
As for actual Maple Story, it kind of sucked.. Well to put it into together all MMO's currently suck :/ But the idea of 2d mmo is good.

Yeah I agree, but the problem is that I absolutely love the idea of a side scrolling beat-em up + mmo and Maplestory has had no competition for quite a while except for some clones.
Dungeon Fighter Online looks like something that beats Maplestory like a redheaded stepchild but its ip blocked for Europe.

Editor.png

GUI, NPC and Level editor. The UI for the editor is done by the editor itself <_<
Also integated AngelScript into the engine, so whole editor is mainly powered by the scripts also.
You can handle UI with the script, or do some useful addons to boost your creativity or many other intresting stuff.

Some scripts:

Editor.gui/Main.as
Code:
#include "../editorConstants.as"
#include "../keyConstants.as"
#include "../scriptConstants.as"

void init()
{
	print("This is the default UI for the Editor.\n");
	editor.Load("ScriptEditor.gui", 1); // Script Editor addon
	editor.Load("MapleEdit.gui", 1); // IrrMaple Editor addon
	script.registerEvent(EVENT_ONKEY, "void onKey()");
}

void main()
{
	if( editor.getMode() == mSELECT )
	{
		gui.getElementByName("Status").setText("Select Element");

guiItem @selected = editor.getSelected();
		if( gui.exist(selected) )
		{
			gui.getElementByName("eName").setText(selected.getName());
			gui.getElementByName("eText").setText(selected.getText());
		}

if(editor.getMouseState() != LTOGGLE)
			gui.getElementByName("Status").setText("Element Locked");
	}

if( editor.getMode() == mCLICK )
	{
		gui.getElementByName("Status").setText("Click Mode");
	}

if(editor.creatingElement())
		gui.getElementByName("Status").setText("Create Element");
}

void onKey()
{
	if( gui.exist(editor.getSelected()) && editor.getMouseState() == mNONE && editor.getMode() == mSELECT )
	{
		if (key.isKeyPressed(KEY_DELETE))
        	{
            		editor.getSelected().delete();
            		editor.selectElement(0);
        	}
	}
}

okDialog.as
Code:
#include "editorConstants.as"

void okDialog(string message, string title)
{
	guiItem @okDialog = gui.getElementByName("_okDialog");
	guiItem @okDialogText = gui.getElementByName("_okDialogText");

okDialog.setText(title);
	okDialogText.setText(message);

okDialog.show();
	okDialog.setFocus();

editor.setMode(mCLICK);
}

I'm here to lend my moral support! because I love the MapleStory concept, just kinda hated the grind...
Just to be on the safe side, though, you might want to think of some alternative names for the project. I have no idea how possessive Wizet is about their trademarks, but it's possible they could catch wind and try applying some pressure for a name change anyway.

Wheels said:
I'm here to lend my moral support! because I love the MapleStory concept, just kinda hated the grind...
Just to be on the safe side, though, you might want to think of some alternative names for the project. I have no idea how possessive Wizet is about their trademarks, but it's possible they could catch wind and try applying some pressure for a name change anyway.

Well I don't use name Maple Story anywhere, and don't include nor host the Maple Story original Media (It can be used with the engine tho, but all of it must be converted to usable format):
So I guess there is nothing they could say. MS Media is kinda good placeholder, I love how they handle all equipments, animations etc. But some stuff is pure weird.

This looks really cool as a game engine for an offline game. I'm not gonna lie though, I never did stick around MapleStory. Their 2d vertical approach to an MMO leaves out an important dimension, imho... I like top-down 2d, shame there isn't anything like that MMO-wise.

If it was gonna be an MMO though, it could still be cool. I actually would have hung onto MapleStory for at least a little while longer, but I got pissed off at it for wanting me to pay real money to go through a cutesy little marriage quest with my sig-o.

Back