FF13 Review

richiz

Basically I'm 15 hours into FF13 and so utterly shocked it's untrue. FF12 was boring as hell and I completed FF10 even though the story was mad crazy and two of the main characters had personalities comparable to your average wooden plank. But at least you cared about the characters. Tidus was a minge - but at least he had a back story and you cared what happened to him.

I've played 15 hours of this bullshit and I've now got my Xbox musix playing in the background as I'm so freaking bored!

I started writing a review about FF13 here until literally 3 mins ago when I stumbled across this review...and I can't help agree with every single fecking point!!

I honestly believe that this single moment right here is when my childhood ends and I have to start playing Oblivion or Fallout and give up on Square. Or maybe it is just actually a really terrible game.

Anyone else played this crap?

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/games/ff13-is-shit-83917/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this needs to be moved but I have to say I agree with you. For me everything past 6 is just not worth playing for me. I hear 7 was good, bought it, but it made me nauseous. I've tried 8 and 9 but I thought they were getting a little too weird and the graphics were not that great. I have friends obsessed with FFX so I don't even feel the need to play it I heard so much about it and 11 and 12 I hear were really boring.

I don't think I'll ever play another Final Fantasy game, it has moved too far from 6. I don't even like the remakes, we don't need animated sequences, the sprites were good enough back then so they're good enough now.

FF13 is not that bad… I mean it's far worse than most of the final fantasy, but I found it better than the 8 and the 12 that was more like a test for their next MMO
laugh.gif

At least there are some like-able characters in 13 (but there are Vanille and Hope
dry.gif
), while in 8 I couldn't stand any of the characters… at all.

Hopefully right after the 8 they made the 9 which is a little gem.

To be honest I think they should drop the whole Final Fantasy name and start something anew.

Even more if they try new fighting/level systems.

I hear that a lot, they should drop Final Fantasy, but I don't see the point, they are not connected in any way anyway. I think nothing worth playing will ever come out of Square Enix every again. While the tried and true formula of the console RPG that those two companies pioneered still works they want to do something completely different just to be different, all the while screwing up everything they make. Everyone gets pumped when they hear of a new FF game and I just always know that they're going to be let down big time. I don't see the reason on getting excited for a new FF game anymore.

square enix publish dragon quest series, give that a try?

Dragon Quest is everything that Final Fantasy isn't; people say it manages to "somehow" keep its retro charm. The "somehow" can be explained quite easily; it doesn't bloat itself with annoying characters, incomprehensible stories, flashy cutscenes, etc, etc...

Judging by that review, sounds like a horrible game. All the way up to point #3, which made me question the reviewer. I mean, "I gave up on Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess after two hours because the only thing I had done that was even slightly exciting was herd goats."? Does this guy have any patience? The point of the slow start in LoZ:TP was to familiarize people with the controls and give a sense of what Link's normal day is like. I understand if Triggerhappy McTwitchfingers find it boring, but I think it gives nice contrast to the story. Anyway, he couldn't possibly think the entire game was like that, so he discarded the potentially awesome game because it didn't gratify his needs in the first few moments.

Okay, FF13 is a different case, because 25 hours is an entirely different story from ~2 hours. That's bullshit. But the thing that annoys me here is that the reviewer obviously did not even play the game after the insanely long tutorial. He isn't reviewing the game, but only a part of it. I have not played the game myself, but I'd guess that if the first 25 hours is a "tutorial" of sorts, the characters could maybe open up and develop a bit afterwards. He gave the game a fighting chance by playing it as long as he did, but can't really, in my opinion, review the game without seeing what it has to offer after the painstakingly long tutorial sequence. He just discards the game and judges it based on the first area, like saying there's three NPC's in the game, while he obviously only means the first area.

I have not played this game (and probably won't) and the first 25 hours and the battle/equipment system sound like crap. I have no doubt this could be the worst FF ever, but given that the reviewer only played arguably the worst part of the game and reviews the entire game on that, I find a good half of this review to be based on nothing. If the review was explicitly on the first 25 hours I could forgive that, but this is only implied in the review. I don't blame the guy for not playing past the tutorial as it sounds like a chore, but please make it clear that you haven't, and don't stretch your feelings for the first part of the game over the entire game.

To make this clear, the above is criticism of the reviewer, not the review itself. If accurate, the review itself is fine.

Judging by that review, sounds like a horrible game. All the way up to point #3, which made me question the reviewer. I mean, "I gave up on Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess after two hours because the only thing I had done that was even slightly exciting was herd goats."? Does this guy have any patience? The point of the slow start in LoZ:TP was to familiarize people with the controls and give a sense of what Link's normal day is like. I understand if Triggerhappy McTwitchfingers find it boring, but I think it gives nice contrast to the story. Anyway, he couldn't possibly think the entire game was like that, so he discarded the potentially awesome game because it didn't gratify his needs in the first few moments.

Okay, FF13 is a different case, because 25 hours is an entirely different story from ~2 hours. That's bullshit. But the thing that annoys me here is that the reviewer obviously did not even play the game after the insanely long tutorial. He isn't reviewing the game, but only a part of it. I have not played the game myself, but I'd guess that if the first 25 hours is a "tutorial" of sorts, the characters could maybe open up and develop a bit afterwards. He gave the game a fighting chance by playing it as long as he did, but can't really, in my opinion, review the game without seeing what it has to offer after the painstakingly long tutorial sequence. He just discards the game and judges it based on the first area, like saying there's three NPC's in the game, while he obviously only means the first area.

I have not played this game (and probably won't) and the first 25 hours and the battle/equipment system sound like crap. I have no doubt this could be the worst FF ever, but given that the reviewer only played arguably the worst part of the game and reviews the entire game on that, I find a good half of this review to be based on nothing. If the review was explicitly on the first 25 hours I could forgive that, but this is only implied in the review. I don't blame the guy for not playing past the tutorial as it sounds like a chore, but please make it clear that you haven't, and don't stretch your feelings for the first part of the game over the entire game.

To make this clear, the above is criticism of the reviewer, not the review itself. If accurate, the review itself is fine.

I totaly agree with you there. This guy seems like he's just out on a hate trip! Can't say much about the game except that I've played it for about 2 hours, and then I got bored. But he makes a lot of sence, the game is really bad, not worst, but bad. And hating on LoZ!? I thought Twillight princess was one of the greatest Zelda games ever since OoT! Btw, two hours in TP? He should have been in the forest temple at the time :D

I totaly agree with you there. This guy seems like he's just out on a hate trip! Can't say much about the game except that I've played it for about 2 hours, and then I got bored. But he makes a lot of sence, the game is really bad, not worst, but bad. And hating on LoZ!? I thought Twillight princess was one of the greatest Zelda games ever since OoT! Btw, two hours in TP? He should have been in the forest temple at the time :D

Maybe he sucked at the herding part :) . Also "A Link to the Past" is still the best Zelda, though many have come close :) .

[…] I don't see the reason on getting excited for a new FF game anymore.

That's why I said they should drop the Final Fantasy name.

Some FF ago, Final Fantasy meant "high quality JRPG" now it means "really high overhyping from hardcore fans" before release and "loyal hardcore fans VS disappointed hardcore fan turned to haters" after release.

And it leads to cruel deceptions.

If FF13 was called "Fabula Nova Crystallis 1" (since that's the name of the series of games it starts) the hating would probably have been less violent.

Because most of the FF fans want some kind of turn by turn fights with a lot of strategy to combine the attacks.

They're used to it, they always played FF that way.

That's also one of the reasons why FF Crystal Chronicles got a lot of hate from FF hardcore fans.

It's a multiplayer action RPG with nearly no story to support it. Not what they're used to.

If it was called something else, the critics would probably have been better (even if the fact you needed 4 GBA to play with your friends was probably the biggest problem of this game
laugh.gif
).

It is always painful to see a Final Fantasy Fanboy/Fangirl finally understand that the game series they so much loved really crumpled after FF7. I've seen it in my room mate. It can be seen in this review. Often, that is when they understand that they've been living a lie, blinded by the joy they felt when playing FF6 and FF7 (or if they're a bit more hardcore, the older games too). Truthfully, there are a whole lot better modern J-RPGs out there.

You see I disagree. For me, FF8 was the best. Character development and maturity in it was amazing and the storyline was kick ass. FF9 was good but I can't remember much of it. FF10 was amazing as well, great story even though I hated a few of the characters and combat system was spot on.

I do love 6 and 7 but I don't think it crumpled after those 2.

What I can pinpoint that is absolutely horrific about FF13 is that your just going through a tunnel and in 15 hours it hasn't changed. ALL other FF's broke up the first linear 5 hours by giving you places to explore every now and again. You could wander off to shops, talk to NPC's which gave you a "vibe". You can't talk to NPC's either, they don't exist! This is xbox graphics yet you don't care about the tunnel youre going through because NOTHING happens. Because the shops are just a menu at save points and NPC's are non existent it's basically been 15 hours of pressing auto attack

Ah well, back to Oblivion and waiting for Elder scrolls 5!

I wish they'd bring back stuff like Secret of Evermore and other awesome, forgotten RPGs.

Back