iphone and n900 bluetooth tehtering to wifi

maxxdoutvdub

Still Fresh
so i wasnt sure where to post this but i thought it would be of some interest now that i see alot of people opting for wifi dongles and the kernel module. but why spend the money if you can use other devices you already own for a good connection? my wifi works for the most part quite well and im currently using the patched driver notaz made on hf5. there are still some networks that it just doesnt like. i have 2 work arounds that have kept me from buying a usb wifi adapter. in addition to a pandora i also own an n900 and an iphone, both of which are good at wifi.

first approach is easy to figure out, the MYWI app on a jailbroken iphone (or a touch with bluetooth i would suspect) will bluetooth pan tether to a pandora without much fuss. works on 3g and wifi.

also with my n900 theres a pan tethering script on the maemo wiki. i copied the one for edge (im on an at&t sim) then i edited a second one for when the n900 is on wifi.

works like a charm, i know alot of people had an interest in ad hoc connections but my battery drain seems way lower over bluetooth than wifi to begin with.

this is just an overview, i could go into greater detail if there is any interest. hope this helps someone!

Also, for anyone interested, there is a thread with a list of phones that tether successfully with the Pandora here. Ther first post has not been updated, though, so you might need to search the thread for you phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup that is the wifi driver ive been using, i havent tried ad-hoc though. ive been using bluetooth pan to tether to my phones. i thought it was relevant because i couldnt find anyone else confirming that they were able to pan tether to an n900 and also the iphone app MYWI states on the website that bluetooth tethering wont work with linux (but it does with every computer i own including the pandora)im at work but i have the pandora and my n900 with me so around lunch time ill try ad-hoc and see if it works for me and post back.

Back