Bluetooth interference w. Wifi?

vandyswa

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, paired up nicely with my rebirth Pandora.

I can type and also use the mouse in the usual way. However, if I turn on Wifi and start

a 128k music station playing, my bluetooth devices stop working, and the bluetooth icon

disappears from the bar. Disabling/enabling BT does not make the icon come back

(nor bring back use of the BT keyboard/mouse). Looking around with "ps", I find that

the BT process is in D state, locked up solid. It stays that way until reboot.

I know that the Nokia Internet Tablet team had to put in a lot of work to get BT and

Wifi to play together (I believe they both use the same frequency spectrum). Has

anybody had better luck than this with combined Wifi+BT operation?

Thanks,

Andy

BTW, if someone is trying this scenario out, and they also have the external USB Wifi dongle, can you verify that the problem is absent with external Wifi? Thanks! I really need a workaround here as I'm hoping the Pandora can become my ultimate road warrior machine.

Andy

Never tried that, but I think I've read something about problems while running both. You might want to search the forum a bit.

Never tried that, but I think I've read something about problems while running both. You might want to search the forum a bit.
I searched before I posted, and just searched again... I can't find a thing about it.

Let me know if you can find a pointer to the content.

In the meantime, it's a pretty important limitation that Wifi and Bluetooth are mutually

exclusive! At least Google is now popping this thread up in searches on the subject.

Thanks... Andy

I myself use wifi + bt mouse regularly, and never had an issue.
Have you ever used combined mouse+keyboard? I just tried keyboard solo, and when I kick on the 128k stream the keyboard gets really balky for 10-20 seconds, then gets better. I'm guessing the "getting better" part is the AFH kicking in, and I'm also guessing that BT connectivity drops out before AFH maps out the occupied spectrum when there's more than one device on the BT air.

If I have to choose one BT device, keyboard would definitely be it! Thanks for the note.

Maybe you'd have better luck if you put your router on a different channel, to try to separate the frequencies of wifi and BT a bit. The combined modules like Pandora uses are supposed to have anti-interference algorithms but this module hasn't exactly proven to be quality :/

The hard lock looks like a software problem (either with the Pandora's drivers or the module's firmware) no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you'd have better luck if you put your router on a different channel, to try to separate the frequencies of wifi and BT a bit.

(Note I'm USA based, thus my channel selection is skewed a bit.)

Bluetooth is frequency hopping, thus in theory channel selection shouldn't matter. Of course, in practice it does!

Channel 11 makes it drop on the floor, keystrokes delayed by seconds. Channel 1 is better, still jerky but more

like 1 second delays. Channel 7 seems best, slight hesitations bus usable.

Unfortunately, this won't help in the most common mobile situation--sitting at a Cafe. But it's good to know.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi, i am using my Pandora together with a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse.

When i am browsing the web and open a new Tab in the Browser, the Mouse Cursor gets extremely laggy or freezes completely until the most data of the site has been loaded.

Unfortunately this is the situation where iam using the mouse mostly. Longer surfing sessions with the Nubs is a pain in the ass.

Perhaps this could be fixed someday.

I've tested/used the mouse on many other devices, there were no Problems. Unfortunately i dont have a second/different BT-mouse or know anybody who owns one to do a test with it.

Back