Investors...

^ Yeah I wish I didn't know that feeling ;)

^^ ED they do owe you at least a helluva lot of that alien concept of sleep and a real holiday :p

I wish I had cash to put down on this but have had a crap financial year and its gonna get worse in the new one

Really interesting! I consult it with my wife and check savings. 1000 € is acceptable and I would like to kick Pandora to reach more users.

Count me in. I'll invest EU1000,- as soon as its set up and properly contracted and documented.

I'd be interested in investing, however there are of course a load of questions that would need to be answered before money changed hands.

Disclosing the current corporate structure of Open Pandora Limited and it's relationship with ED's company would be a good start.

I'd be interested, too. I would be willing to invest up to 5000 CHF, even though I think it's a pity in a way.

Let me explain: I have always been impressed with the self-funded nature of this project. In my opinion a purely debt-based economy is a Bad Thing, so the perseverance and determination of all the creative people involved in the Pandora project against all the ridiculous obstacles they encountered is really admirable. The project was able to stay debt free all this time which is mind-blowing. Of course it would also not have been possible without the patience of the majority of the buyers and especially the developers.

I have two concerns:

-The possibility of hostile takeovers that could change Pandora from what it is now.

-The reaction of the community to the transformation from a community project into a business.

What I mean by the second point is that the enthusiasm to work for free on the Pandora operaing system and drivers could be lessened by going commercial. The work that DJWillis, notaz, vimacs, Squidge, cpasjuste, Skeezix and Pickle have put in the Pandora OS (and the work DaveC put in the case design, of course) would have cost a fortune in salaries for a commercial product.

Of course I do not know all their motivations, but I believe at least a part of it is motivated by the belief in the open/free software. I think it should be made sure that this openness can not be threatened by going commercial.

What do you think about the following:

-It's only possible to sell shares back to Openpandora, not directly to someone else. This would prevent someone buying up everything behind the scenes. However, I don't know if this could be legal at all.

-Some contractual rules that limit the influence of investors (i.e. explicitly prohibit a move away from open source). Again I don't know if this could be legal.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be interested and wouldn't have a problem with the size of the investment. However, I'm a 100% techie (programmer, engineer) and have zero talent in handling anything else. The things Neko listed, I would have no idea. So, for example, I'm in Europe but not in the UK. Is it even possible, in practice, to be a shareholder in a UK company without getting into a complete mess with my local tax authority? I don't have the faintest idea.

I too am very interested. I have been following the pandora project since the beginning and would love to see it go from strength to strength. It makes me proud to own one and proud that I had a say, albeit a small one, in how the final product ended up. Obviously like others here, I'd like to know more details before committing but I have faith in Craig. He and the rest of the OP team are so passionate about the Pandora that I think some of that has rubbed off on me over the years.

Disclosing the current corporate structure of Open Pandora Limited and it's relationship with ED's company would be a good start.

Basically, there is no real relationship. We've been working together all the time, and each one of us paid for various parts needed for the production.

As said, I paid the LCDs from the preorder money.

But there are no contracts between our companies.

hiya ... beancounter here!

If I understand the objective here, it is to raise funding to further the "cause" (which I love btw) and to improve and develop better things. Craig also would like feedback, ideas and user literal "buy-in".

The potential investors are nervous and are looking at some very onerous reporting requirements.

So here is an idea (I have them occasionally) ....

Rather than sell share holding - sell debentures. Debenture Holders pay money in, and get paid interest amount to the value of what they have invested (over a predefined long term)! they have no ownership rigths BUT more importantly are more protected (than shareholders) in a situation if things go south.

A side affect is that they will want things to go smoothly and as such will still contribute ideas / feedback etc. Another positive it that you can lower the debenture amounts to say £500, as reporting is no that onerous. And from a OPT point of view you do not dillute your current shareholding to achive the same thing

Just an idea ..

Basically, there is no real relationship. We've been working together all the time, and each one of us paid for various parts needed for the production.

As said, I paid the LCDs from the preorder money.

But there are no contracts between our companies.

ED, I hate to point out that I'm a lawyer by day and Neo by night. My point being that even though there are no written contracts between your two companies, the fact that you are "working together" and that parts paid for by one company are being used by the other company (and vice versa) means that, at law, contracts between the two companies will be implied, even if not reduced to writing.

In fact, any investment in one of the companies without knowing the exact terms of the implied contract is risky unless the contracts are now reduced to writing and their terms properly negotiated.

I have seen far too many cases in my own work where handshake arrangements lead to disputes because evidence has to be adduced of the what the terms of the relationship are. If Craig's company receives cash investments and grows, what will happen to your company? Will you share in any of the investment or profit?

The other complexity is conflict of laws. Craig and yourself are in different countries - what would be the governing law of any implied contracts? This is important because one of the countries is a civil law country and the other is a common law country.

Just my two cents. I'll bill you later. :D

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my potential interest as an investor. I've been watching with great interest the whole Pandora saga and whilst I await (very patiently, I might add) my Pandora arriving on my doorstep to see the end product in the flesh, I too feel along with others here that the iCP could be big news in the future.

Either way, and to reiterate, I'm certainly interested in putting some investment in.

Thanks - and keep up the sterling work folks,

Beanhed

I might be interested. But, not without more information as already requested and certainly not before OpenPandora can get their production act together.

The record of the company so far is NOT very convincing.

How come there are so many people who have €1000 just laying around? I have to work at least 2.5 weeks for that!

How come there are so many people who have €1000 just laying around? I have to work at least 3 weeks for that!
Maybe you should get a better job and/or save up some more money? Once you have some, it actually generates more :D

Maybe you should get a better job and/or save up some more money? Once you have some, it actually generates more :D

Once I have more I've seen it flow back into taxes, general upkeep, transportation (damn you dutch train system) and vinyl. I've never seen it generating more :D I would like to get a better job if I could.

(oh and I changed the number a bit)

Back