Introducing - Equilibrium

FYI, there is a broken link on the Outlander Studios site.
screenshot5-1.png

The "About us" link on the sidebar links to http://outlanderstudios.squarespace.com/the-team/ instead of http://www.outlanderstudios.com/outlanders/ which is the correct link at the top of the page.

Keep up the good development work that you've started. You've got some great concept art.

Tenuki said:
My name is Kestutis Tauckela.
Hm, your name caught my eye, nice to see you here :) It's easy to find our country of origin by just reading the names. Good luck with this project!

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
Tenuki said:
My name is Kestutis Tauckela.
Hm, your name caught my eye, nice to see you here :) It's easy to find our country of origin by just reading the names. Good luck with this project!
indeed it is :) first I thought that I am only Lithuanian preorderer, but today I saw Kestutis' posts and now I noticed that notaz is Lithuanian too :) small world

The graphics in the demo already looked pretty good, the concept is also great for a quick fun round (or depending on how big you are going to make the tech-tree even for longer games).
Also I can see you put a lot of thought into this (a design document - makes me notice the professional approach).

Looks very promising, keep it up!

foxblock out

Hey guys!
I'm a music freak, and would love to help with the soundtrack etc. Just let me know where I can start :D

Amigo Bandito Crujiente said:
Also, I'm having trouble starting the demo on windows 7

This is the error info I got, not sure if it will help.
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: equilibrium.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4c02396f
Problem Signature 04: Equilibrium
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4c02396f
Problem Signature 07: 15
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I'm having a similar error:

Code:
Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:	equilibrium.exe
  Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:	4c02396f
  Problem Signature 04:	Equilibrium
  Problem Signature 05:	1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:	4c02396f
  Problem Signature 07:	15
  Problem Signature 08:	0
  Problem Signature 09:	System.TypeInitialization
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033

-God Ginrai

Regarding WindowsDemo problems there are two solutions:
1. Make sure you have OpenAL installed or reinstall it from official website here.
2. Quite unlikely, but you might want to try Run in compatibility mode with WinXP.
Quick search on Google for "clr20r3 windows 7" reveals that it's quite generic Win7 crash. Hope this helps.

Regarding music I find myself in unexpected situation that there are more people willing to help us than we can accept. I hope I will not offend anyone by choosing one person.

Regarding depth of the tech-tree, challenge will evolve around positioning of buildings, specific building combinations and proper timing more than actual complexity of tech tree. Something like Starcraft and very unlike earlier Civilization games. There should be easy choices and skill should come from subtle precision of execution and sequence of choices.

If you want my opinion, go with nick.

He's doing the music for Panjoust, this little project I'm doing graphics for, and it all sounds absolutely top notch. He's studying music somewhere, I forgot exactly where, but he knows what he's doing for sure.

Tenuki said:
2. We are developing using Mono/C# and OpenGL 2.0 ES. We have people with considerable experience in closed source games development - Linux (and all open development) is still very new field to us. We are looking for a fearless programmer who could be confident to deal with any unpredictable OpenPandora specific problems we might face. This can be from issues compiling Mono for OpenPandora up to OpenGL driver quirks.

hi Tenuki,

http://www.mono-project.com/Maemo

Mono does run on the Nokia n900, which has essentially the same processor / SoC as the Pandora, and similar hardware (e.g. same size touchscreen display). Those mono packages should also run or recompile for the Pandora with very little porting effort needed. May I suggest that you will be able to port Equilibrium to run on the n900 also, with little extra effort.

regards,
Sam Watkins

Tenuki said:
Hi dear everyone,

My name is Kestutis Tauckela. I'm professional games developer, developing games since 1994. Together with several other talented developers we have decided to create a high quality game to demo our skills and possibilities as a team. Cheers!

Looks like a nice game. Welcome to the forums here. I think you will find it a good place to be.

Good luck!

Tenuki said:
Regarding WindowsDemo problems there are two solutions:
1. Make sure you have OpenAL installed or reinstall it from official website here.

That fixed it, thanks. ^_^

-God Ginrai

It looks like you have somebody to do the music already, but I sent you an email about doing the sound design (sound effects + implementation). I have a lot of experience doing this plus a huge library that I can use royalty free.

-mrTlikesRobots

In case you want some ideas about how to go about doing the Pandora port, I just ported a very simple GL ES 1.1 demo to the Pandora, *using the Pandora itself* .. no cross-compiler, no toolchain needed - everything built with PandoraOS-native tools, on the Pandora machine itself ..

Details on the port and native tools setup are available here ..

In short, if you want to get things done as quickly as possible, use your Pandora itself! :)

Hi,

I'm Stuart Fox - a Pandora fan and a TV composer - latest work I did was for History Channel's 'America: The Story Of Us'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQiLyl_KOyI (all the music from 3:16 is mine)

Lots of examples on my website as well... www.goodsounds.co.uk

If I'm free when you need it I'd love to help out with music - all my contact details are on my site.

Stuart

Big thanks to everyone who offered to help with audio for Equilibrium. I was not expecting to find so many talented composers in OpenPandora forums. I have decided that Nick May fits our team very well and I would like to give him a chance to promote Pandora as well as his name by composing music and creating audio effects for the Equilibrium game. I'm looking forward to the day when Equilibrium will demonstrate Nick May's potential and I'm counting on your honest and constructive criticism to help push that even further.

It is good to hear Mono working on Maemo. Before starting the project, I've done a bit of research and I've seen that Mono does work on Arm devices. Knowing that there is MonoTouch (for iPhone) and later this year - MonoDroid (for Android) I was confident that we do have fall back options for very worst case scenarios. Trying some actual experiments with Mono (and OpenTK) I was astonished by how easy it is to port a game from Windows to Linux. I could literally copy-paste compiled game from Windows to Linux and everything, including OpenGL would simply work! I'm expecting more trouble to get Equilibrium to work on Pandora (because of Arm architecture), but I'm quite confident that we can do this.

For now we are targeting Pandora only and later we are likely to port the game to Android devices. It is a tough question about other platforms (iPhone, Maemo, others) as we are yet to discover a practical business plan for our development. I would wish to combine Open development and high quality, but those two values must be supported by funds to become sustainable. Novell, Mozilla, Canonical are good examples of companies who are building businesses on Open development. Games are just making first steps out of closed source development. There is no clear proven way how to do business in this area. Let's see if we will manage to be among the first companies to do so.

torpor, it is interesting to see your experiments to compile code on the Pandora device itself. I would expect CrossCompiling to be more complicated, but I'm not sure which way is best considering speed advantages of CrossCompiling. I must also say that compiling itself is minor concern to me. Players (and judges) don't really care how you compile your game. All they care is how fun your game is, how enjoyable it is to play it. We have a good start, but we are yet a long way from finish. I will get back to your experiments once I'll get actual Pandora device. Yet I appreciate your efforts to help everyone, including us.

Lastly, thanks to DaveC and others for warmly welcoming me to the forums! It is encouraging to read all your positive feedback and wishes of good luck. Thank you!

I must also say that compiling itself is minor concern to me.

It helps with the Open nature of things if one huge barrier to using your source code is removed. I mean, its quite easy to read peoples open source code, but not as easy (usually all cases) to just get up and start running the code yourself, after an edit.

Compiler-on-board provides a base to move from. If, at least, the code for the platform can be built on the platform, the open nature of the device is enforced.

Things need not be absolute, and that is why, in the storm of hot CrossCompiler topics, I wish to remain relatively humble about the point: an open device builds its own code.

Back