Intel Planning On Buying Imagination Technologies?

Intel probably reacting to Apple buying some in the last week or so - they still own less than Apple and less than 7% between them. Shouldn't have thought it would affect Pandora.

They would probably would like better graphic cards for themselves, which would probably mean open source linux drivers in the short term.
In the long term however, we would probably not see PowerVR cores in ARM packages.

We'll see, but I think it's unlikely that anything so spectacular will happen.

Pandora and SGX is out of the question anyway. I'm just thinking about the future. Imgtech is not the only one who makes efficient GPUs any more. That multicore mali is really interesting. Maybe someone will license it for a Cortex A9 SoC :)

Racemaniac said:
since they got a contract with TI to provide drivers, not much i assume?
You'd presume correct. Moreover, it might end up that we have FOSS drivers at that point as Intel's already indicated that it's not changing from it's current driver position any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
Pandora and SGX is out of the question anyway. I'm just thinking about the future. Imgtech is not the only one who makes efficient GPUs any more. That multicore mali is really interesting. Maybe someone will license it for a Cortex A9 SoC :)
Contrary to what people might believe, Intel buying ImgTech would be the best thing ever. Not only about FOSS, but maybe they could mix hot ImgTech patents with their Larrabee monster.

Anyway, TI has more than enough money for investing in the GPU world with ARM Ltd. Probably that's why mali is there...

I'm really tired of all the closed source drivers, it doesn't makes sense even in propietary operating systems at all. I hope Gallium3D will make driver development lots easier too.

(I found quite funny your nickname being the same as the name of the ARM's GPU :D)

timofonic said:
I'm really tired of all the closed source drivers, it doesn't makes sense even in propietary operating systems at all. I hope Gallium3D will make driver development lots easier too.

(I found quite funny your nickname being the same as the name of the ARM's GPU :D)
I :lol:ed when I first heard about the GPU called mali :lol:
ARM seems to have a nice software suit for its mali GPUs, so that's a good sign. If ARM wants some serious market share, they will do everything that is needed to put ImgTech under pressure, including good open drivers. The discussion about the Linux MBX-driver for OMAP2 made me think twice about PowerVR chips.

Back