Installing Gentoo

rcx21000

Website
Visit site
I'm installing Gentoo on a 40GB HD that I stole from my bro's comp, and I've "cleared" 48 hours where I won't have to use the comp for anything else :D

But I can still use my laptop to access the internet, so I can still come here :p

If all my homeschooling software works on WINE, I might even switch 100% Linux :) If I decide to do that, can I just image the 40GB drive and put the image on the 80GB main drive that I have? Or will I have to change some settings telling it that I'm changing to hda from hdb? Or is it easier to completley reinstall it all on my main HD? Or what?

Thx

Grrrrr

The LiveCD won't connect to the internet. I have built in NVidia nforce2 ethernet, and a DHCP router (Linksis MR814v2 802.11b router w/ 4 port switch, I'm connected with an ethernet cable). It won't autodetect DHCP. It does show this at startup, mabye it has something to do with it:

...stuff about autodetecting stuffs...
Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP....
...stuff about soundcard...

ifconfig only gives me info about "lo". If I do net-setup eth0, autodetect DHCP option won't work, and if I manually enter the things (I don't know the nameservers, but I think that I wouldn't need them if I'm just trying to ping something in my network, at least for now), ifconfig shows correct info, but I can't ping my gateway (I guess that the MR814v2 is the gateway, and the gateway IP is 192.168.0.1, since that is what I use to access it from a browser), or any other computer on the network.

And I don't want to do a stage 3 install.

Edit: Nevermind this question, I fied it by downgrading livecd from 2004.1 to 2004.0 :p

It wouldnt detect my network card either, I had to find what it was and manually load the module.
I typed
  • modprobe via-rhine
    ifconfig eth0
And my network was up and running fine. (via-rhine is my network card chipset) Basically gentoo didnt detect what 'driver' (module) your network card required, so it didnt load any, modprobe is the command to manually load modules.

It's installed :)

Only problems is that I can't compile Firefox (segmentation fault?), and that when emerge is running, the whole system seems to slow down to .25 FPS. Does emerge normally do that, or do I have a problem? And what should I do about the segmentation fault (I'm using firefox bins right now)?

Yeah when emerge is compiling the app its normal for the PC to drop to an unusable state (most compiling will do this, with or without emerge), it usually during the "configure" part it will take a huge % of your CPU. The compiling usually only takes about half of the cpu that the configure does, but still makes it difficult to use. It all depends on what its doing exactally. I usually just go away for a bit while its doing its work.

Are you compiling firefox yourself, or did you emerge it? I emerged firefox and it went smoothly. emerge mozilla-firefox

Make sure you emerge sync so you have the latest portage tree for the newest versions.

I did emerge mozilla-firefox, and there was a segmentation fault. I'll try again after I recompile the system & world with new CFLAGS, which should be faster :)

Back