Which Linux Distro Should I Get?

nightwheel

Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
So here's the story. I got a got a newish dell that didn't work a few months ago. Well I tested the Dell's 40gb Hard Drive still works. But it's install of XP crashes when it tries to boot up.

But that didn't really matter to me. I was already going to use that dell to run linux if I could but didn't get to work.

So now I have a 120gb hard drive that came with my pc. And the 40gb hard drive that came from the dell in my computer. I'm going to install linux to the 40gb hard drive. And keep running XP on the 120gb hard drive.

But here's my question,

What Linux Distro should I get. I have a Ubuntu disk around here but I want your guys opinion on what Linux distro I should get? Any sugestions?

Oh yea, My PC specs can be seen here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=reg_R1002_USEN

I have been using Xubuntu (7.10) for a couple of months, As my main OS, And i am enjoying the experience so far. Baring in mind, I have only dabbled in various live cd`s, And have never actually installed a distro until now.

It`s light, Fast, Very responsive and i have no need for resource hogging antivirus and firewalls etc, My machines my own. :D

Trooper

I like Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu which in tun is based on Debian.

Mint has more codecs etc out of the box, excellent hardware compatibility and is very easy to use. If you are using GUI controls they are easier to use than Ubuntu.

The best bit is that as you get more adventurous you have access to thousands of Debian apps.

It's a good place to start and has 'growing room'.

I use Ubuntu on my desktop and Xubuntu on my EEE. I've tried a load of other distributions but I like Ubuntu the most.

I ran Ubuntu on my desktop for a few months before I could get a hold of a copy of XP after it crashed.
I liked it, and it seemed easy to use.

I also use Xubuntu. If you like Ubuntu, then try all the major desktop environments like Gnome, XFCE, KDE. And choose the one you like.

You can download live CD`s for every desktop environment.

KDE=Kubuntu
XFCE=Xubuntu
Gnome=Ubuntu

I would say Ubuntu simply because it is easiest to get help on if you need it. Stuff like Linux Mint is too far from the standard to have access to all the help available.

i dont know your linux knowledges but im Archlinux user.
fast, stable and i686 optimized :)
running on my acer laptop last 3 years.

on my desktop pc i have dualboot xubuntu and XP (guild wars + mastercam )

I dont know your linux skills, but if you are experimented linux user give a try on Debian.
Else try Mint Linux or Dream Linux, both are based on Debian/Ubuntu but with video/sound codecs and eye candy interface.

I'll add my voice to those recommending one of the Ubuntu variants, personally I like Kubuntu as I like KDE, but...

You haven't said why you are considering Linux, or what kind of Linux you want. If you want a Windows desktop replacement for technical or ideological reasons then Ubuntu is a good choice. If you need to interoperate with a Windows network and talk to exchange or similar services the Suse my be worth considering (although that's the only reason for going with any of the commercial distros IMO). If you want to really learn about Linux then you may want to install ubuntu or similar and leave some unpartitioned space on the drive for building LFS.

As for Arch, I love it and am posting this from an Arch install, but I wouldn't really say it's for newcomers to Linux. It's more for people who want a distro which is simple to tweak for their own needs and simple to create packages for.

You may want to have a look here for a list of some of the more well known distros.

Damn Small Linux :)

Just kidding. Ubuntu was OK, but I liked Linux Mint a little more because it comes with some closed source or commercial drivers instead of making you hunt for them.

I don't know about "support" because every different utility or setting is managed by different developers, if you meant support as in people generally familiar with what comes with Ubuntu, then I suppose that is OK.

Generally though with Linux, if you can get the answer right away you aren't really doing anything that requires you to ask anyone (It would be in the Man page if it was that easy.)

Arch Linux. the basic install gives you a CLI and you install everything you want, and nothing you dont :D

I've been using Slackware for the past 12 years. Yes, I'm **old school**.

It's been a good experience, but in my "old age" I'm starting to get frustrated with package management. While upgrading to Firefox 3 I managed to F some of my llbraries up good and haven't been able to fix it manually.

I'm looking to build a 6x1TB RAID back end media server for the new year, and it's going to run some variant of Ubuntu. I'm just not sure which yet. :)

I use Ubuntu with the medibuntu crap installed (for playing DVDs and stuff). It's awesome, I could do basic tasks fluently (and had all the software I needed and hardware configured) in less than a day (windows took me two days of set up after every restore session).

I've embarassingly never heard of Mint before, but it sounds like it might be better to start out with (don't have to deal with the couple lines in CLI for installing the medibuntu libs).

I've only used Fedora, Sabayon, and tried to Install Gentoo. I like Ubuntu the best (But don't use dial up.. I've never gotten it to work well with any distro).

Have fun.

Back