Inside The Box : Issue 2 : May 2012 Release

The 1st edition totally went under my radar because I had been waiting for this e-zine to surface in PND form.

Good read!

The 1st edition totally went under my radar because I had been waiting for this e-zine to surface in PND form.
Yeah, I never got around to the "diskmag" edition. I didn't even get enough time to write an article for this issue :( Only just found enough time to cram in the editing; didn't even get chance to fix up the website, logo or anything.

lol, that's eager! :) I was going to post a poll in a couple of days to see if people were interested in a 3rd issue. Depending on the response, will probably look for a August release date.

I've posted a poll now here.

lol, that's eager! :)
That's logical. Now is the best time to ask for contributions, because it gives possible contributers time, and you an early overview over possible contributions.

I also think that the poll is doing it the wrong way around and unlikely to yield usable results the way it is, because:

• People don't contribute by answering a poll, they contribute by contributing. Many people might be double-minded about contributing as long as it's not clear that there will be another issue. If you are willing to release another issue even in case there will be only one single contribution (that is, if you think it makes sense to release a single-contribution issue, or if you would be willing to add own content to the issue), then it's now the best time for telling people that there will be a next issue and for specifying a deadline for contributions. When giving people a platform for publishing information, the clearer that platform is specified, the better.

Not to be mistaken, this does not mean that the future you specify should be be a bright love, peace and harmony utopia -- that would be dishonest as you cannot see the future. For instance, if you would not want to release a single-contribution issue and would not -- for whatever reasons -- add own content, then in addition to specifying a deadline for contributions as well as a scheduled release date, say that there won't be another issue unless there will be at least N contributions (for instance, at least 2 contributions).

• People cannot tell whether they are interested in the next issue, because that next issue is not available yet. They can only tell in which regards they would like another issue to be similar to, or different from, any existing issues.

edit: My personal gut-feeling suggestion by the way is to release the next issue in TWO MONTHS™, July 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's logical. Now is the best time to ask for contributions, because it gives possible contributers time, and you an early overview over possible contributions.
Yeah, but I was going to give it a couple of days so they can read it

I also think that the poll is doing it the wrong way around and unlikely to yield usable results the way it is, because:
Actually, it worked pretty well last time. People had read the first issue, they new what kind of things to expect. There were many more people saying they'd contribute than actually did (as by there being 5 articles). True, a poll before the 1st issue would not have been useful, but with 2 issues to refer to, I think most people know the score.

edit: My personal gut-feeling suggestion by the way is to release the next issue in TWO MONTHS™, July 1st.
Both previous editions have provided a 3 month period to write, sure, most of them leave it until the last minute, but I don't see a point in changing that at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both previous editions have provided a 3 month period to write, sure, most of them leave it until the last minute, but I don't see a point in changing that at this point in time.

Upholding a fine Pandorian tradition?

It seems that the resurrected "Inside The Box" zine is the replacement for the Unofficial Pandora Weblog/Pandorapress, since it's last update was in January? :)
Kind of, I will try to gather an official statement regarding the state and future of PandoraPress soon.

@Binky:

Well, originally it was supposed to be StreaK's thing, but I guess he gave up pretty early on after introducing the idea? Maybe 2 years ago?

I for one was surprised that pmprog picked up on StreaK's idea, but that's a good thing.

@foxblock:

That would be great. Probably many RSS subscribers like me are also scratching their heads as to what's going on.

For me the PandoraPress blog was for many months the prime source of Pandora related news.

That's why I see the new "Inside the Box" as a possible successor :)

Back