I'm considering a buisness venture & would appreciate your thoughts

Garrett

Advanced Member
I have an extensive vinyl collection, the vast majority of which is Northern Soul/60s 'garage' but I have quite a few of pretty much all genres even the ones I don't care for too much (go figure!) It's been said quite a few times recently by family & friends that they would be perfect fodder for some of the public houses that have dance areas. I've never considered anything like this but the more I think of it the more it makes sense, quite a lot of the stuff I own is pretty rare & can't be found now (even via Ebay/Mp3 DL's) without paying astronomical prices.

I find the prospect of introducing folk to my music intoxicating, particularly if I was paid for doing so (a few pubs I visit occasionally have expressed interest) but I struggle in situations where I'm dealing with the public/strangers these days. I also have no experience of digitizing vinyl, which I would have to do as there is just too much of it to deal with otherwise.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a great idea! A friend of mine does something similar in two pubs in Hannover. He has some good old ska and soul music on vinyl that he actually brings a selection of each time. That could work as well, no need to digitize it. It's all about the hanging out and bringing actual vinyl that I enjoy about these events. In Dortmund there is an event at a bar where everyone can bring their favorite records and play them once a week.

In my experience, never try to turn your people into your music. You'll have a much better time turning your music people into your people. Find people who are already fans of the same music you like, and get to know them, not the other way around.

Sounds good mate.

Should probably take up the offer from your local pubs who've expressed an interest ... I'd imagine they know their regular punters, so the fact they suggesting it makes me think it would probably appeal to at least a decent amount of the people who frequent there.

I use this to convert my vinyl collection, as it's super easy

[look down the page at the ION turntable]

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/audio/convert-vinyl-records-cd-mp3-or-flac-3417319/

Was around £30 only.

I used to use a PC hookup, but I found it a bit long and never actually bothered to get on with it.

This turntable is much easier, as it has a USB port on it and one touch button to start recording straight onto the USB stick you plug in ... proper simple and quick.

You can also play your 33's and 45 speeds and the software will sort it out, so you can whizz through some of your old plates quicker if you wanted... but I've not actually done that.

As easy as it is ... I still have only done a small portion of my collection ... but I'm generally a bit slack ... start many projects and tasks and end up with them all half done

If you are going to convert, do it the right way.
Plate-washer, good deck, rip to 24bit FLAC, you don't have to do click-removal, that is mostly only possible if you have two versions to pick from.

Playing at local venues is nice, but preserving culture lets more people enjoy. Could do both.

Once you have a real nice setup with a quality ADC you could offer the service to others.

Last edited:
Back