Your thoughts on a custom PC build?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've replaced/installed parts in a few of my systems over the years, but have never assembled a rig from scratch.

My brother has tasked me with building a system for him, he has about £1000 to spend & this is what I've come up with:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Miseryguts/saved/V2mQzy

It will be primarily used for gaming/multimedia (hopefully it will get him off mine when he visits) & I will be overclocking.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of folks here, is there anything you'd change?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done mock builds (given a budget and shopped for the parts and created a list of everything I would use and why) many times for fun and educational reasons.  That kind of budget for real would be great.

I dont think you need full ATX, try Micro-atx (24cm=) or mini-itx 17x17cm

Dont know who produces the PSUs for corsair anymore, but there is room for improvement there.

Hitachi and western (red or black series) have less errors on their spinning drives than seagate.

I dont think you need full ATX, try Micro-atx (24cm=) or mini-itx 17x17cm

Dont know who produces the PSUs for corsair anymore, but there is room for improvement there.

Hitachi and western (red or black series) have less errors on their spinning drives than seagate.
Size isn't really an issue.. what would you suggest in place of the Corsair, Seagate?

Looks like an awesome system.

A couple of minor thoughts :

Is a Blue Ray player required for multimedia?

Perhaps go for a 512GB SSD

I would recommend getting a better looking case.

That one is just boring. If you are spending close on 1000 pounds on a build you should get something more exciting and flashy.  Also spending more on a case now means chances are next time you won't buy another case.

Digital tv tuner cards are cheap enough that you can add one almost as an afterthought

Looks like an awesome system.

A couple of minor thoughts :

Is a Blue Ray player required for multimedia?

Perhaps go for a 512GB SSD
In the age of streaming media not sure if a blueray player is at all that important anymore, plus they're still overly expensive. Personally I don't own a single Blueray movie and my PS3/PS4 can play them.

About the 512GB SSD, it may be more cost effective to by the 256GB now and another one the same size or larger down the road if needed. Having a 3TB traditional drive in his build, I don't really see the need for anything larger than 256GB right at the moment.

whats the difference in price in the UK between the hyper212 and say corsair H100 water? would reduce noise a bit and enable more of an overclock on the 4690K.

If you dont plan to overclock then save a few quid on the non K version.

Back