If Only The Sources Were Avalable....

SnipaMasta posted on Feb 13 2006 at 05:14 PM said:
I don't see why LBA2 can't happen - if Yazor gets it working like he has with LBA1 then it's quite possible. The technology of it may become an issue - but there's built in features that dramatically drop the required specification (draw distance, for instance). Plus the fact it only has to work at half the resolution...
Do you have any idea how long it will take yaz0r to reverse-engineer a whole game from scratch on his own, consider that it has custom formats for loads of things.
Now consider that his reverse engineering of LBA has been going on for the last 3 or so years and he is still not finished - I believe he also has a job and a life.
Welcome to the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanz™ posted on Feb 13 2006 at 09:09 PM said:
Do you have any idea how long it will take yaz0r to reverse-engineer a whole game from scratch on his own, consider that it has custom formats for loads of things.
Now consider that his reverse engineering of LBA has been going on for the last 3 or so years and he is still not finished - I believe he also has a job and a life.

Even though the LBA2 engine is heavily based off the LBA1 engine meaning that a lot of stuff would have already been written - and the fact that Yazor was learning as he was working on the LBA1 engine. A lot of the formats have already been cracked - including the island files, models and animations, and the main data archives were cracked years and years ago. Substancially less work the second time round.

nickspoon posted on Feb 14 2006 at 07:13 AM said:
Don't start that again.

I like you, Spoony.

As for AGS, Khatoblepas, it'd be freaking slow and very hard to port games to it since they reside in an executable that holds most of the game data.

I'll still drop him a line, though. :)

Allan.

PSyMastR posted on Feb 14 2006 at 07:53 AM said:
What is fallout?
You should buy it. Nobody will see you for months and months :D

There was an inde RPG released not that long ago that was heavily fallout influenced, perhaps that would be a better place to start.

SnipaMasta posted on Feb 13 2006 at 11:14 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Feb 13 2006 at 09:09 PM said:

Even though the LBA2 engine is heavily based off the LBA1 engine meaning that a lot of stuff would have already been written - and the fact that Yazor was learning as he was working on the LBA1 engine. A lot of the formats have already been cracked - including the island files, models and animations, and the main data archives were cracked years and years ago. Substancially less work the second time round.
Not enough is finished on twin-e for us to expect this anytime soon. I knew that, I think I mentioned it in the twin-e thread on this board.

Deed posted on Feb 13 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
Kyrandia !!!
It'll make my day if someone say that it is possible :)

Turambar posted on Feb 13 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
The Legend of Kyrandia is possible and its being worked on by DJwillis in the form of a scummvm port.

Try the Alpha 7 build of ScummVM for the GP2X, Legend of Kyrandia is not a finished engine but it is playable and can be completed in its current state.
LordHoto has done wonders on RE'ing this engine into the ScummVM framework.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 14 2006 at 08:46 AM said:
Not enough is finished on twin-e for us to expect this anytime soon. I knew that, I think I mentioned it in the twin-e thread on this board.

Well, Twin-E is playable at the moment - it just has bugs. Suitable enough for porting, to be honest.

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 13 2006 at 04:42 AM said:
X-Wing
Tie-Fighter
X-Wing Vs Tie-Fighter

:)

Seconded... oh, seconded. It would be mighty hard with the button setup, but oh... My pants would become slightly soiled.

For me, I'd take Dark Forces. Wonderful game. Or the last three episodes of Keen.

Rayek posted on Feb 14 2006 at 08:48 PM said:
Or the last three episodes of Keen.

Oh yeah I forgot about them ;)

Wow, lots of good ones already mentioned... here's my additions:
  • One Must Fall 2097 (Old DOS 1-on-1 fighter with mechs. This is the best fighting game DOS ever got in my opinion)
  • Traffic Department 2192 (Obscure DOS overhead view shooter, great storyline)
  • Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 (Same engine as System Shock, so we'd get three for the price of one! :D )
  • Alpha Centauri (I'll settle for a port of FreeCiv though)
  • Grim Fandango (I'm surprised the ScummVM folks haven't done anything with this and Escape from Monkey Island... or maybe they have and just haven't released anything)
  • Ultima V and VI (There are projects attempting to reimplement both these games... VI is getting close, but V is a long way off)
  • The "Unlimited Adventures" engine that runs all the SSI AD&D Gold Box adventure games (It always amazes me that we have stuff like FreeSCI and ScummVM working so good, yet no one has tried to reimplement the engine that runs such classics as Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness)
  • Dungeon Master (Actually, there IS source code available, although it's not terribly friendly... I wish I had more time to attempt a good port of this game rather than to rely on Amiga/Atari ST emulation...)
"Mr Doctor" said:
Oh and may I add, STRIFE! Awsome lil game that beat crappy Deus Ex at its own game years before Ion Storm even existed :D
There is some hope for this actually... Strife is just another game that used the Doom engine, although for some reason (proprietary source code modifications?), very few of the Doom source ports support it. I think ZDoom has some amount of Strife support, although I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it's playable or not. Hopefully this is just a matter of time....

On a similar note, I'd be very happy if someone managed to get Shadow Warrior and Blood working, but these are kind of in the same boat.

--Zero

Ze_ro posted on Feb 14 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
[*]Grim Fandango (I'm surprised the ScummVM folks haven't done anything with this and Escape from Monkey Island... or maybe they have and just haven't released anything)

It's not a SCUMM engine game (or even a 2D point and click) but rather a 3D game based on LucasArts Grime engine.

There is a sub-project of ScummVM to rework both Grim and Escape called Residual (http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects.php) but it is a very CPU heavy beast and needs H/W OpenGL. Don't ever expect to see this on the GP2X, it's not even really usable on a PC yet and is not under massive amounts of development at the moment.

Ze_ro posted on Feb 14 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
The "Unlimited Adventures" engine[/b] that runs all the SSI AD&D Gold Box adventure games (It always amazes me that we have stuff like FreeSCI and ScummVM working so good, yet no one has tried to reimplement the engine that runs such classics as Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness)

Wow these games would be class... :D

Back