Idea Of Making Games Is As Cool As Emus...

junker

i'd love to make something that'll run on a gp2x sometime! is learning to make a simple game too hard and time consuming? if not, any advice on how to get started? thanks

I would not call the games most people play on emulators simple most of the time.

It depends what you call too hard and time consuming. How much time would you want to spend on the game?

I'd like to see more things like VNS that can help us non-programers create something. I've just finally started work on a VNS game and it's starting to feel as easy as HTML.

now i think it may be possible, gamemaker on GP2x! with its greater processing power it might work, at least possible to port GM games to gp2x, i had a post or few about GM on the gp32, but with the gp2x's greater abality it might work, i know a guy working on porting GM to DS, just a thought

no no, i didn't mean to call the emulated games simple, just that i'd like to create something simple. i don't have much programming experience, very very little in C.
what's gamemaker by the way? hmmm, i just realized i could do a mod of BOR and be able to play that on gp2x sometime(that is if BOR gets ported, but that's very likely, right?).

edit
gamemaker is pretty cool! the sonic clone on the site looked not too bad.

I wonder if Fenix will be ported? That would a good place to start if it does..

If you would like to become a programmer then learn C first (it's quite a small language) so at least you have basics (Use either Dev Cpp or Codeblocks since they are both free IDEs and come with the minigw compiler)) then move on to SDL or other APIs.

cool, ill think ill devote my spare time to something like that. i tried to in the past, but was just too lazy heh
oh yeah, i already have dec cpp since it's a cool free one

I had PHP and Dark Basic Pro as previous experience (and some other similar stuff) and I found out that using Dev-C++ and SDL was easy enough for me to understand. If you can make the graphics then coding a simple game isn't much of a problem once you get the basic idea. Go check out some tutorials:

http://sol.gfxile.net/gp/ <- started with this one, some basics and develops a game stepp by stepp

http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl...ls/gfxsdl/index <- covers loads of game related stuff, never tried

I dunno after awhile I feel like all I'm looking at is a bunch of innitials with no referance point. DSL IDE PHP CPP C ACDC BVD LMONP... Why can't we just have good ol' basic back?

10 print "I can't program"
20 goto 10

>run

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 24 2005 at 08:53 PM said:
http://sol.gfxile.net/gp/ <- started with this one, some basics and develops a game stepp by stepp

http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl...ls/gfxsdl/index <- covers loads of game related stuff, never tried

I have been playing around with coding for the GP2x and would definately also recommend the before mentioned sites, they have been very helpful for learning about SDL... a good C++ book too would be helpful too, although coming from C to C++ is less of a change than from Delphi (object Pascal) to C++ like I have...

I use linux on my laptop so have just been using gnome-edit with syntax highlighting and line numbering turned on, but might look into a proper IDE?? Do many of you use an IDE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for all the links, last programming I did was in commodore basic, and then mostly just from a magazine.

found a good site for learining how to program in C, step by step tutorials and animations

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/c1.htm

if anyone needs a farenheit to centigrade converter I think i can just about manage it now, maybe I will just carry on with the tutorial a bit longer

ooh, hey I totally forgot about Zot! I ment to look into it a while back Was that before or after Fenix? It seems like everyone forgot about Zot to focus on it.

joele posted on Sep 24 2005 at 08:04 PM said:
I use linux on my laptop so have just been using gnome-edit with syntax highlighting and line numbering turned on, but might look into a proper IDE?? Do many of you use an IDE?

When I program on Windows I use an IDE. Which one depends on what I'm programming, though. I haven't touched Windows in a looong time, though.

As for Linux, Eclipse seems to be the best all-around IDE, but be warned, it's a bit of a resource pig. It's great for Java stuff, though. Netbeans is also good for Java. But none of that really applies to the GP2X. For C/C++, I'm personally just using gcc and gedit with syntax highlighting right now. Anjuta and KDevelop are supposed to be pretty good, but I found them to be a bit of a pain in the ass to actually get shit done in. Eclipse has C/C++ plugins available (and I think Netbeans does, too) but really, I haven't found them to make me more productive for this sort of thing. If you've got a decent machine, you may as well give Eclipse + the CDT plugin a shot. You may like it, and if you don't, since you can just run the executable from your home directory it's pretty easy to get rid of.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 24 2005 at 11:53 PM said:
I dunno after awhile I feel like all I'm looking at is a bunch of innitials with no referance point. DSL IDE PHP CPP C ACDC BVD LMONP... Why can't we just have good ol' basic back?

10 print "I can't program"
20 goto 10

>run
put a ; at the end of line 10 and see the power of the ;

10 print "I can't program";

yes...do not forget about Zot! guys. I am working on a game in Zot! right now and also learning C. Zot is pretty simple to make a good game with, and since skeezix is getting a GP2X it will most likely be ported. If you start working on a game now, and test it with pc/mac/linux version(s) of Zot! you could have something coming along by the time it's ported.

skate2live92 posted on Sep 26 2005 at 12:30 AM said:
yes...do not forget about Zot! guys. I am working on a game in Zot! right now and also learning C. Zot is pretty simple to make a good game with, and since skeezix is getting a GP2X it will most likely be ported. If you start working on a game now, and test it with pc/mac/linux version(s) of Zot! you could have something coming along by the time it's ported.

Hey maybe Im being stupid but I cant seem to find a download link for this on google. :blink: Can you post the url thanks.

Back