Idea: Include Pandora Case's Cad Files In The Box

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
We could have a version-control CAD system. People could modify the case designs to provide extra space or weird shapes (or control layout changes), etc.

Then they could rapid-prototype or machine it in whatever design they wanted.

There wouldn't be any "hardware piracy" because you need the innards to make a real Pandora. :p

How's it sound?

atomicthumbs said:
We could have a version-control CAD system. People could modify the case designs to provide extra space or weird shapes (or control layout changes), etc.

There wouldn't be any "hardware piracy" because you need the innards to make a real Pandora. :p

How's it sound?
OpenMoko ppl also put CAD files out openly but I believe you need very expensive equipment to actually build that stuff from CAD files. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
randomhack said:
atomicthumbs said:

How's it sound?
OpenMoko ppl also put CAD files out openly but I believe you need very expensive equipment to actually build that stuff from CAD files. Correct me if I am wrong.

All you need is a CNC router. You can go to your local machine shop and ask to use theirs.

Or you can go the expensive route and use a 3D printer.

randomhack said:
I believe you need very expensive equipment to actually build that stuff from CAD files.
That depends on what you mean by "very expensive". With the proper CAD files you could have a fairly serviceable replica case CNCed out of a block of plastic (or aluminum!) for anywhere between a couple hundred bucks to a couple cold beers (if you know a guy). This is not a likely option for a lot of people, but if you do have access to the requisite equipment, then the CAD files could be useful. I don't know if it's worth bundling them in with every Pandora, but I would hope they would be available on request.

And before anybody even asks, replicas made from increasingly-popular 3D printers would not be a good option. They tend to be very brittle and would not stand up to everyday use.

We are trying to come up with some solutions for exactly this and will probably post something soonish (closer to release), we do want you to hack the pandora and come up with interesting mods so we will support you as best we can.

good to know Craigix.

Is there a link where you could get the materials from online? Or are they also available at a local machine shop?

Well, my school's engineering unit has a CNC router, and I'm taking that program next year. Woot!

Maybe I'll make a metal pandora and everybody will be jealous.

craigix said:
We are trying to come up with some solutions for exactly this and will probably post something soonish (closer to release), we do want you to hack the pandora and come up with interesting mods so we will support you as best we can.
Neat!

"You" meaning the community or me personally? :lol:

craigix said:
:blink:

Of all the unusual aspects of the Pandora, THAT is THE most unusual. Even the outer casing is going to be "open source." :D

atomicthumbs said:
Well, my school's engineering unit has a CNC router, and I'm taking that program next year. Woot!

I have yet to see anything come out of a school workshop that didn't look 'chunky'. If you made a metal case at school, I bet it would weigh a ton.

Orkie said:
atomicthumbs said:

I have yet to see anything come out of a school workshop that didn't look 'chunky'. If you made a metal case at school, I bet it would weigh a ton.

By "coming out of a school workshop", do you mean handbuilt, manually built with ordinary tools, or machined?

Because we've got probably the most advanced engineering program in the area, as well as the aforementioned machining equipment.

Machined, hand built stuff actually seems to be closer in quality to a company doing it.

Prophet said:
craigix said:
:blink:

Of all the unusual aspects of the Pandora, THAT is THE most unusual. Even the outer casing is going to be "open source." :D

Well, Openmoko has done it as well so I kind of expected the Pandora team to do the same. B) I hope someone will mold green cases. Or black/pink. :ph34r:

atomicthumbs said:

Or you could think one step further, mod the casing so that you can fit stuff in it and it looks really cool etc, make a metal model (do some touch ups) and then use plaster and create a mold and do as many as you like? ;)

Man, I would so like to have the .stl files of the case: I've got access to 5 3D printers right now, just waiting for me to prototype the case in different colours!

Lobo said:
Man, I would so like to have the .stl files of the case: I've got access to 5 3D printers right now, just waiting for me to prototype the case in different colours!
Could you print me a 3D printer while you're waiting? :p

(If it's a Darwin printer, you could actually do this)

Back