Idea: Combining/helping/sharing Maemo community

HtheB

Still Fresh
Hi all!

I created this thread because I want to give you guys an idea about combining/sharing ideas with the Maemo community (http://talk.maemo.org) and helping each other if this could be possible, and if so: how?

Mr_Loon pointed me to create a new thread, so.... here it is.

The Nokia N900 has almost the same hardware as the OpenPandora. I'm pretty sure that if we could help each other with great stuff, I'm sure were can get the most of our hardwares.

For example:

The N900 lacks of a Nintendo DS Emulator. Since "DraStic" is already running on OpenPandora, it should also run on the N900 (with very small changes).

And even Yappari, Whatsapp for the N900, could run on the OpenPandora (correct me if I'm wrong). Sure the OpenPandora doesn't have a simcard slot, but that doesn't mean that you can't use wifi for connecting it on the internet ;)

What do you think guys?

(You can also join our board to share thoughts about this at http://talk.maemo.org)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea! I don't use my N900 anymore but it has very nice, friendly and supportive community around talk.maemo.org. Very similar to Pandora one.

Getting PND format to N900 would be cool although I have no idea what it means technically. There is a lot of interesting software available for N900 but I'm afraid the OS differences are too big. On the other hand I was able to port SunVox from Maemo just by collecting required libs, taking the original bin file and wrapping it together into PND. So there might be a way to achieve something.

Also, I don't think that full merge of the two communities is feasible but some inter-cooperation could bring benefits for both sides.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Has anyone tried porting software between the N900 & the Pandora?

How difficult would it be to get PNDs running on an N900?

I did have ported a N900 game for pandora. The work was kinda easy : remove all the OS integration requiered for maemo. (for ref: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gweled-gweled)

Porting the other way around is way more complex : The N900 doesnt have nubs or d-pad, so you need to create virtual one (like those thingy you see on android), beside the integration code for maemo have to be writen (support for pause and a few thing like that).

Getting a support for PNDs would be even more complex. Something like ginge should be written, SDL should be patched and the N900 kernel will need to receive patches to support UnionFS, fake the NUBs etc...

On the other hand, if an N900 dev come here and request for help to port a pandora PND to N900, I bet he will receive a warm welcome and all the help he needs (IRC is even a better way to get help). At least, if it concern one of my PND I'll support as much as I can. Anyway, 99% of our stuff is opensauce like in the maemo community, so code sharing shouldnt be an issue.

Cheers

I guess you wouldn't get PNDs running on Maemo. Would be easier to unpack the PND and repack it up in whatever format the N900 expects, no?

IIRC the N900 has a keypad with a 4-way controller built in, so it sort of has a d-pad. No nubs though.

I guess you wouldn't get PNDs running on Maemo. Would be easier to unpack the PND and repack it up in whatever format the N900 expects, no?

IIRC the N900 has a keypad with a 4-way controller built in, so it sort of has a d-pad. No nubs though.
Now that would be amazing

And yes, the N900 has a 4way d-pad

1251371259.jpeg

Back