I386 Games On The Pandora Via Emulation?

well i guess that ok but i was hpoing for games what would better than the ones on my mobile phone :p

Cew27 said:
well i guess that ok but i was hpoing for games what would better than the ones on my mobile phone :p
oh you can guarantee they will be, the difficulty is that with emulation its like running a computer within a computer (i stuck a computer in your computer so that you can play games whilst you are gaming! lol) but which will always take a performance hit. running a compiled open source game will be a different story and if a company decided to make a game completely utilising the pandora to its greatest potential and pushing its limits... well you can guarantee it would be impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
RajTakhar said:
There are still lots of classic PC Games which will run on a 386 platform, here a few ..
Dune II - Predecessor to Command and Conquer
Doom 1.9
Tanks
Pacman
Laser Chess
Links 386
Championship Manager
Simcity
Descent
Duke Nukem
Heretic
Hexen
Terminal Velocity

OK - Some will play good some will play not-so-good - but you get an idea of just a few of the classic MS-DOS games out there!

Hell why not go look at how office apps developed as well - supercalc, wordstar, DBase, etc - all plausable

The graphics may not be pretty - but some of these games still play as good today as they did yesterday

Just Google MS-DOS Games and then piss yourself silly with happiness
we need chex quest :p

ashdjones: I wrote some model loaders myself and I had a map-viewer (by someone else) once which had ray collision checking for clicking objects (which shows detail) and the camera with walls etc, complex lighting and more in that direction.
In theory it shouldn't be too hard, but keep in mind that CS uses a quite complex physics system (sliding / jumps / ducking / ..) and extremly skilled bots which is hard to recreate

krooked said:
RajTakhar said:
There are still lots of classic PC Games which will run on a 386 platform, here a few ..
Dune II - Predecessor to Command and Conquer
Doom 1.9
Tanks
Pacman
Laser Chess
Links 386
Championship Manager
Simcity
Descent
Duke Nukem
Heretic
Hexen
Terminal Velocity

OK - Some will play good some will play not-so-good - but you get an idea of just a few of the classic MS-DOS games out there!

Hell why not go look at how office apps developed as well - supercalc, wordstar, DBase, etc - all plausable

The graphics may not be pretty - but some of these games still play as good today as they did yesterday

Just Google MS-DOS Games and then piss yourself silly with happiness
we need chex quest :p

Chex Quest was just a doom WAD, so it should be easy enough.

I'm surprised there's no open source clone of Counterstrike yet, it's popular enough.

A quick google search nets AssultCube (which is open source) and Urban Terror (not open source, but might work because it is a quake 3 mod)

RajTakhar said:
Commander Keen - unknown
You can still purchase Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy from 3D Realms here. Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter are MIA, though.

(I never played any of the Keen titles until trying out the shareware demos of Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy recently - if they run well on DOSBox for the Pandora, I'll definitely be buying the above-linked CD.)

VERY LATE EDIT: Forget the previous link - iD Software is selling the same set for half the price here, though it is download-only.

ckblackm said:
Master of Magic
and

X-Com

and

Nethack

Ultima 1-5

If we can get those... well... there goes hundreds of hours that we'll never get back. Great negative time generators.

4 words: Rise of the Triad :D

I know there is a version compiled for the PSP, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to compile for :pandora1:

mali said:
RajTakhar said:
The bolded are open source anyway, the rest I don't know.

the open source version of simcity is the unix one, which seems to require some huge screen resolution; maybe it will just be easier to play the dos version under emulation.

Grench said:
Nethack

If we can get those... well... there goes hundreds of hours that we'll never get back. Great negative time generators.
nethack is opensource and I don't think there will be big problems with porting, since it already works on different systems (amiga and atari).

nethack is opensource and I don't think there will be big problems with porting, since it already works on different systems (amiga and atari).

More importantly it's already been ported to Linux, so should be entirely trivial to get nethack/angband/rogue and many other OS rogue likes running.

Grench said:
ckblackm said:
Master of Magic
and

X-Com

and

Nethack

Ultima 1-5

Ultima and X com have their open source variants in exult and ufo alien invasion and nethack is native as well.

RenegadeChic said:
Cew27 said:
oh you can guarantee they will be, the difficulty is that with emulation its like running a computer within a computer (i stuck a computer in your computer so that you can play games whilst you are gaming! lol) but which will always take a performance hit. running a compiled open source game will be a different story and if a company decided to make a game completely utilising the pandora to its greatest potential and pushing its limits... well you can guarantee it would be impressive.

It might just be that in the future some sort of community might spring up around the pandora aimed just at games (seperate from here), and who knows maybe some of them will be coders and might want to write a game which pushes the pandora to its limits. Or maybe someone out there might start coding demos for the pandora - remember what you could do with 512K, 1MB or 2MB, 320x256 and a 7.14Mhz 68000? Alas nobody knows yet, as outside the devs nobody has a pandora ....

ljones

Back