Cross Emulation On The Pandora

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
Has anyone with a pandora,devboard or beagle board given any thought to cross emulation?

i.e. Emulating a system and then using that to emulate another.

So for example there are shedloads of emulators for DOS that will run on DOSbox. Now obviously there will be no way we can run stuff that needs a pentium PC but I can remember playing around with 8bit emulation with great results on a 33Mhz PC years ago.

Just a thought.

ToaD :)

Ignoring any performance issues, and jumping right to the important part. You could run a NES emulator in DOSbox. Or you could run a standalone NES emulator on the Panda. The later will use less power playing your game, and let you play longer without a recharge.

Other then that, yes, most none hardware speciffic code will run in DOSbox just fine, and as sutch emulators would work, i imagine.
B!

Might be useful for any systems that we dont have emulators for yet (or just because we can).

zx81 stated he will port blueMSX I think he will if you check his page you see the guy does a lot of porting of nice emulators I think he will do it for the Pandora as well.

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/

Its one of the oldest gags to do with an emu -- run another emu in it, and then run an emu in _that_, and so on; the joke is always.. how many layers can you go before you just run out of options, or cpu cycles ;) I used to do .. PC running Atari ST emu running a DOS emu running an Atari XE emu, thought that was pretty amusing. Back in the GP32 and Gp2x early days, a few sick bastards thought it would be useful to run the ST's DOS emu, so they coudl fiddle with DOS stuff on the go. The result was not good :)

But yeah, they are viable options for this sort of thing..

jeff

I was under assumption that you could only cross emulate simple interpreter like emulators. Emulates that have dynamically recompiler might have trouble cross emulating.

aaronson911 said:
I was under assumption that you could only cross emulate simple interpreter like emulators. Emulates that have dynamically recompiler might have trouble cross emulating.

I doubt there are many, if any Dynarec emulators for 8 bit systems on DOS and I doubt we'd be able to cross emulate anything from the 16 bit era very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a dynamic recompiler, it should be able to do it; static recompiler, not likely. But anyway, this is too esoteric for most people ;)

jeff

The most I've done is PC->GBA->GBC->NES. Was doing fine until the NES part.. then even > 20x speed wasn't enough to emulate Donkey Kong at even half speed.

I'm skeptical that any console emulators work that well on a 386.. probably would need a load of frameskip even for Gameboy.

Wow, I had this thought a while ago... Dreamcast>PSX>NES
I always wondered how this would work out.

Wow starting the emulation cascade off with Dreamcast? Jourdy doesnt p*ss about!

Exophase said:
I'm skeptical that any console emulators work that well on a 386.. probably would need a load of frameskip even for Gameboy.

I remember Gameboy being fast and playable on a 486/25

My 40Mhz Amiga can easily handle Gameboy,SMS,Nes,c64 and Spectrum to name but a few. I know you can't compare the architecture of an Amiga with a PC but it does show you don't need a shedload of processor power to emulate 8 bit consoles and computers.

aaronson911 said:
If the emulator is compatible it should run anything the system can run, including other emulators, regardless of their complexity.

I don't even see why a static recompiler would fail to convert an emulator, actually.
Certainly it would be a likely failure case, but unless they're using self modifying code it wouldn't be impossible?

Back