Visit site
Ok so I saw this list on GP32eu...

Loom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1,2, and 3
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Day of the Tentacle

Which games are supported by SCUMM, do any of these not work?
Are there any more which DO work? What versions of the games work
the best? I know there are FLOPPY, CD, 256 COLOR (VGA), 16 COLOR (EGA), TALKIE, etc...

Please help.

If you have any information on a good place to buy such games, that would also
be appreciated.

I have also wondered this previously. People say get the games off Ebay -- but in what format? So I have never really bothered with Scummv myself, although I would like to.

I know that some developers allow you to download their old
scumm games for free. (don't remamber the name)

Maybe someone could make a list of these game (i think that aren't much)
and say if they are running on the gp...

EDIT: Yes i've found a site with google.
there you can find some freeware scumm games
Don't know if it's possible to give you the link...
But some names of these games are:
Beware of Aliens, Teen Agent and Monster Manor...

yes but some old commercial games are available for free too,
because their producer are so nice....
i have to find out which one i meen...

EDIT: or do you meen, only games produced from
Lucasarts can be used with scumm gp?

Loom : Works (iirc).
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade : Works, Floppy version.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis : Works.
Monkey Island 1,2, and 3 : 1 & 2 work, 3 does not (iirc) : 1 needs a bit of hex editing to get saves to work.
Sam & Max Hit The Road : Works up until the wack a mole part, Just use a pc save file to get passed that bit.
Day of the Tentacle : Works

Trooper

Monkey Island 1,2, and 3 : 1 & 2 work, 3 does not (iirc) : 1 needs a bit of hex editing to get saves to work.

You mean you know how to fix this saves problem? Damn it, I've been tearing my hair out (metaphorically) for WEEKS because my saves kept randomly dissappearing!

How do I fix it? :blink:

Since when has a solution been found, and is it only in MI1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh... that... thanks trooper, but that's not what I was talking about.

I use the newer version of Scummvm, you know, the one by DJWillis with Ogg support.

Basically, sometimes I'd find after playing for a while that all of my saves were deleted.

DJWillis said he might look into it about half a year ago, but I haven't heard anything from him since.

Is the "older" version more stable? Also, is there music in the older version? It's just that I could never get music to work when I tried the older version once...

are you guys talking about scumm on the GP or scumm on the PC?

So far I've had bad luck with scumm on the GP :(

I think I have the latest version, I got it from here, anyways, so it's the latest version they have here. It came with two .fxe's packed in the zip, a regular scummvm.fxe, and scumm132.fxe. I tried running DOTT first... runs great, speach, music... but likes to lock up a lot. Anyone know what speed this one runs at?

So I swapped to the 132mhz version, and the lockups seem to have stopped, but now sound and music is HORRIBLE, very staticy.

I've gotten monkey island 1 and 2 working, with no speach at all, but music. Haven't played enough to know if the saves are having problems. I'd be interested in that hex edited version of Scumm if you wouldn't mind sending it to me :)

i got sam and max working but with NO sound at all.

Loom I can't get to work whatsoever. And that's all I've tried.

All these games are the floppy versions.

So.. what speed does regular scummvm.fxe run at??? Odd it locks up all the time... I can get other apps running at 156-166 stably.

If anyone knows how I can get Loom running I'd be eternally grateful :( Sound in sam and max would also be sweet.

EDIT: okay just tried to save on monkey island 1, and yeah, it gives me that error too. I'll try to hex edit it later today, but, Trooper could you post the one you use as well please? I read in that other thread the guy tried to hex edit it and wasn't able to find the right string... so just in case I have the same problem.

The regular SCUMMVM runs at 133Mhz. Apparently some GP32s (a very tiny amount) cannot run at 133Mhz properly, so DJWillis released a 132Mhz version.

Anyway, the original monkey island games never had speech in the first place. How are you getting the music, BTW? Did you have to convert all of the music files to OGGs (that's what I did)?

Also, it's funny that I'm not getting any bug when I try to save in Monkey Island 1 (I have a legitimate CD VGA version). It's only after I play for an hour or so that all of my saves suddenly get deleted, even the autosaves!

I think that problem is that nobody did a long-term test on ScummVM to see if it worked; people mostly just popped in a game, played for a few minutes, and said "this is great", without bothering to actually try and finish a game... <_< :(

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea what's wrong, but the trick may be to simply never play for a very long time (like I tend to do in adventure games) without rebooting your GP32. Turning it off once every 30-45 minutes may guarantee safety... but really, who knows? :( Is DJWillis still around?

well... I have several versions of scumm now... all with 'issues'.

Original version: plays great, sounds great, but wouldn't save monkey island 1 (easily fixed with hex edit, tested and verified and works fine for me). Plays music in all games except Sam and Max, and no I didn't convert anything... just inserted the monster.sou file for DOTT, Monkey 1 and 2 played music fine as they were. Loom would not play at all. Biggest problem was that in DOTT (only game I've played for lengths of time) it seems to lock up every 15-30 mins, and loves to do this while I'm saving, corrupting the save.

Original version, 132mhz: all same as above, except, the music is MUCH worse, very scratchy and staticy, BUT, it doesn't lock up anymore

DJ Willis version: Loom works perfectly, sound in Sam and Max works perfectly, already worked with saving Monkey Island 1. However, the speed of the cursor movement is VERY slow in Sam and Max and in DOTT, taking some 10 seconds to cross one side of the screen to the other, pretty much unplayable IMO. I only use this version to play Loom now.

DJ Willis version, hacked to 166mhz by Hooka: Seems to be the same in every respect.

I've never had the save bug you describe, and have never had to convert anything to OGG.

I've also been told by a couple people here that the original Scumm actually does run at 166, not 133. I'm trying to get someone to tell me how to change the clock speed that it runs at so I can experiment around with it.

May I remind you of the ORIGINAL question:

Blah posted on Dec 18 2004 at 01:53 PM said:
Ok so I saw this list on GP32eu...

Loom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1,2, and 3
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Day of the Tentacle

Which games are supported by SCUMM, do any of these not work?
Are there any more which DO work? What versions of the games work
the best? I know there are FLOPPY, CD, 256 COLOR (VGA), 16 COLOR (EGA), TALKIE, etc...

Please help.

If you have any information on a good place to buy such games, that would also
be appreciated.

I just want to know which versions of games run the best. I'm sure there are people with multiple versions. Not which versions of the emulator are best, not which games are free, not how to hex-edit the fxe, and not about how much the games cost or who made them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean run the best? they should run the same if they are on floppy or CD. Obviously the 256 colour VGA versions look better and some games like LOOM or DOTT will have speech if you have the CD versions so you will have to encode the audio tracks to OGG.....

I don't know where to buy them but I wouldn't recommend buying floppies as they will probably be well old, and the CD versions will be the most recent I reckon...

anything else I can help you with?

Yes, floppy or CD versions will run the same, the only difference is how you handle the audio file (usually, the monster.sou file). On the CD versions, this file will tend to be very big... you either have the option to not use it (will get rid of speech and possibly some sound effects) or minimize it (convert to OGG). The monster.sou files on the floppy versions, if there is any, will be smaller and easily fittable onto your SMC. The actual games are exactly the same, otherwise... oh like he said though do get the VGA versions of course.

Sam & Max Hit the Road: there is one part of it (the whack-a-mole game) that you can't complete on the GP32 & will have to finish on your PC (or d/l a save that bypasses it).

And anyway, I was still answering your question, in broader terms. Wouldn't you want to know if there is a chance that all of your saves will be deleted?

Back