I see Purple...

Grench

Forum Addict!
My screen just started going purple at 1/2 open last weekend. It clears up when I open it all the way - for now.

It sounds like ED is buried in getting things set up for continued production - and I don't want to be without my Pandora for an extended time.

A few weeks ago I ordered a whole set of case plastics, a few extra styli and two LCD cables from CraigIX - they haven't arrived yet, but I still hope...

So...

Does it void my warranty if I try to change a bad LCD cable on my own?

I understand this can be a bit tricky - is there a 'how to' video somewhere on the web for just this operation?

Are the LCD cables that CraigIX is selling the 'new-fancy' or the 'old-purple_screen' style?

Thank you.

Craig should also have some of the newer ones.

The ones with the silver shielding are the new ones.

Craig should also have some of the newer ones.

The ones with the silver shielding are the new ones.

Thank you both for your quick response!

I realize you're busy - and I would like to save you repairing yet another and the shipping costs and the time of not having my Pandora.

If I do this myself, does it invalidate the warranty on the device? After watching the video I'm fairly confident I can do it.

Thank you.

If I do this myself, does it invalidate the warranty on the device? After watching the video I'm fairly confident I can do it.

It will only invalidate warranty if you break something else while replacing it.

It will only invalidate warranty if you break something else while replacing it.

That is a more than fair response. Thank you!

Now to see which happens first - will my screen go all-purple or will I get my new cables form CraigIX - and will they be the new style...

If it goes all purple before I have the parts I ordered weeks ago - I'll be sending it in to you.

If I get the parts before it goes all purple - I'll give it a shot, and not hold OpenPandora responsible if I muck it up.

Thanks!

Still no sign of the parts that I ordered from CraigIX on October 1st. They must be on the royal mail slow boat.

My screen is pretty much always purple now except when opened all the way.

Am I doing any harm to the unit by using it in purple mode?

^ As far as I'm aware, it won't do any harm, short of offending your eyeballs. :p

It's now alternating between green, purple blitzing horizontal lines and 'normal' depending on where things fall out when I tilt the screen.

Still no sign of the parts I ordered well over a month ago. I have travel coming up - I don't want to be without it - even if the screen is wonky.

Conundrum.

My ~$90 cables & case parts order from CraigIX's store still isn't here (Omaha, Nebraska, USA). My shipping notice from Open Pandora Sales dates October 1. I can't get a reply back from CraigIX's store email on what to do about it.

EvilDragon hasn't read or replied to the PM I sent to him over a week ago requesting to get an LCD cable sent to me - I even volunteered to pay for the part & shipping even though the unit itself would be eligible for free RMA repairs. None of that matters if he doesn't read it though - which he likely doesn't have time to get to.

My screen is freaking out more by the day. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can actually get possession of a new-type LCD cable (preferably with speakers on it) sent to me?

This isn't meant to be a slam to either of them or their businesses. I realize they're all very busy. CraigIX is ramping down his Pandora side, EvilDragon is building a whole new work flow. I've already paid CraigIX for a pile of parts. I'm willing to pay EvilDragon for the part & shipping. If I can't get a response from either one, though, I'm pretty much stuck.

Is there any magic way to actually -getting- an LCD cable to the middle of the United States? Any help?

Thank you.

My ~$90 cables & case parts order from CraigIX's store still isn't here (Omaha, Nebraska, USA). My shipping notice from Open Pandora Sales dates October 1. I can't get a reply back from CraigIX's store email on what to do about it.

EvilDragon hasn't read or replied to the PM I sent to him over a week ago requesting to get an LCD cable sent to me - I even volunteered to pay for the part & shipping even though the unit itself would be eligible for free RMA repairs. None of that matters if he doesn't read it though - which he likely doesn't have time to get to.

My screen is freaking out more by the day. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can actually get possession of a new-type LCD cable (preferably with speakers on it) sent to me?

This isn't meant to be a slam to either of them or their businesses. I realize they're all very busy. CraigIX is ramping down his Pandora side, EvilDragon is building a whole new work flow. I've already paid CraigIX for a pile of parts. I'm willing to pay EvilDragon for the part & shipping. If I can't get a response from either one, though, I'm pretty much stuck.

Is there any magic way to actually -getting- an LCD cable to the middle of the United States? Any help?

Thank you.
Hate to say it but you are just going to have to sit tight and wait. Royal mail can be some, but you should get it in another week or so. Also there is a huge back log of emails for both ED and Craig so response might be slow

I will send you a cable, I'm just terribly busy right now so I'm way behind my mails (got about 600 eMails to reply right now!)

I'd love to split myself into four clones, but it doesn't work yet, sadly.

CraigIX's store re-sent the package and it arrived. Thank you for the offer ED - I'm set for cables now.

Using the ED video earlier in this thread the night before last I replaced my LCD cable. I also replaced the majority of my case plastics. I had a cracked corner on my lid and a gap under the screen. The new case plastics fit better - no gap. The hinge has some friction again so it will hold any position. It's like having a new unit.

Thinking of how this improved my Pandora - we don't need a new hinge with more stops. We need a way to regulate the friction between the lid and base plastics. As the interface between the lid and base plastics gets broken in, the lid becomes floppy. I'm using the same old hinge from my floppy screen one with new plastics - and it now holds any position again.

I'm not sure what form this adjustable friction bit would take.

Anyway - thank you CraigIX for getting me the parts! Thank you ED for making the LCD changing video!

Back