flicker and purple stripes

Gabriel Weber

Still Fresh
I just replaced my Pandora's LCD cable, and I still get flicker and that damned purple stripes. Do I have a hardware problem,  could it be that the cable was not properly inserted in the connector, or what?

While it's not impossible that you received a faulty cable, I would go ahead and check the connections to make sure.

Sounds to me like your LCD cable was damaged during the replacement process, i'd suggest sending it away for a professional repair, thats what i did when my cable failed. Those are definitely symptoms of either a cable from a faulty batch, or a damaged cable (in my experience). But yes check the connections just to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now I tested two new cables, and did not close the case, in order to avoid cable damage. And the connectors does not seem to be damaged. Now, what?

Regards

http://youtu.be/l8GfjAsbmK8

or as youhad problems replacing the cable yourself in the past you could send your unit away for RMA by contacting Askarus and filling in this form:

RMASheet.pdf

but i guess  that defeats the point of buying the cables yourself, so if i were you i'd just CAREFULLY follow the video tutorial, at least if it fails again you have a fresh cable for a new attempt. Good Luck!

Attachments

• RMASheet.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
I beg your pardon for the insistence (stubbornness ? ) , but FoxGod wrote  somewhere :"sounds like the connector is loose, ED might be able to talk you trough on how to fix it easily, it depends on which connector is loose, if its the one attached to the screen its easy, if its the one connected to the motherboard, then it aint easy, and you might be better off to send it to ED. " . I opened the display's aluminium case (for the record, I didn't broke it, and the purple tint did't got worse when I reassembled it), just to discover that the connections go deeper than that. So, is the above quote just a pipe dream, or did I miss something?

I beg your pardon for the insistence (stubbornness ? ) , but FoxGod wrote  somewhere :"sounds like the connector is loose, ED might be able to talk you trough on how to fix it easily, it depends on which connector is loose, if its the one attached to the screen its easy, if its the one connected to the motherboard, then it aint easy, and you might be better off to send it to ED. " . I opened the display's aluminium case (for the record, I didn't broke it, and the purple tint did't got worse when I reassembled it), just to discover that the connections go deeper than that. So, is the above quote just a pipe dream, or did I miss something?
Looking at the "LCD cable replacement" video from ED I would say that you were already gone too far, the LCD cable from OP connects to another ribbon cable that is soldered directly onto the lcds pcb, which should not be the problem has this is outside an area of moveable parts (except that it was damaged from the beginning).

But I'm having a problem connecting your quote of FoxGod to the rest of your post, according to you foxgod was writing about two possible causes, either the connection to the lcd or the connection to the Pandoras pcb, but you just refer to the metal casing of the LCD.

There are no other options left even for ED, he can rule out some sources of error due to thorough testing, but if it turns out to be pcb there isn't much he can do about it.

As you even disassembled the LCD casing I'm guessing that you already tried to make sure both connections are ok, there are three options left:

• LCD is broken,
  • Pandoras video out is broken
  • LCD cable is broken
If you have already tried three different cables I guess option three is not likely, which leaves two options to act.

• order / borrow another LCD - Screen or connect your LCD to another source, to rule that out
  • send it in for repair, so someone with more testing capabilities can have a look at it.
Do you remember wether the amount of flicker/purple stripes changed with the opening angle of your display lid ?

Looking at the "LCD cable replacement" video from ED I would say that you were already gone too far, the LCD cable from OP connects to another ribbon cable that is soldered directly onto the lcds pcb, which should not be the problem has this is outside an area of moveable parts (except that it was damaged from the beginning).

But I'm having a problem connecting your quote of FoxGod to the rest of your post, according to you foxgod was writing about two possible causes, either the connection to the lcd or the connection to the Pandoras pcb, but you just refer to the metal casing of the LCD.

There are no other options left even for ED, he can rule out some sources of error due to thorough testing, but if it turns out to be pcb there isn't much he can do about it.

As you even disassembled the LCD casing I'm guessing that you already tried to make sure both connections are ok, there are three options left:

• LCD is broken,
  • Pandoras video out is broken
  • LCD cable is broken
If you have already tried three different cables I guess option three is not likely, which leaves two options to act.

• order / borrow another LCD - Screen or connect your LCD to another source, to rule that out
  • send it in for repair, so someone with more testing capabilities can have a look at it.
Do you remember wether the amount of flicker/purple stripes changed with the opening angle of your display lid ?
Indeed, I have a tendency to explain things in an incomplete and frequently confusing way, assuming that the rest of the answer is so "obvious" that everybody understood it (must have something to do with ADD) . I tried to "resolder" the board's connector ,with no effect, for better or worse. Also, I assumed that the external connector on the display was not a likely source of trouble. So (mis?)guided by FoxGod's post, I tested the very improbable hypotesis of the existence of another connector inside the display's case.

And about the angle of the lid, I Didn't even reassemble the case. I connected the two latter cables externally from the mainboard to the bare display, to assure that they would not be bent/squeezed/torsioned... in any way. So I'm pretty sure that I didn't mess up with the cables.

The strange thing is that the symptom is exactly the one of PTOD. Weird coincidence ,to break exactly the green signal at the mainboard or the display... So, just out of curiosity, any hypotesis about possible reasons for that?

Anyway, I intend to go to Europe next February. With a really huge amount of luck, maybe I'll be able to send my Pandora to ED from London, and get it back in Paris,  saving a substantial amount of money with shipping costs :p .

Back