I need a new device. What is the best choice?

slackland

Hi,
I need some ideas.
I have two Pandoras. One CC with shoulder Buttons issue (Fix with small felt pads).
The another (the best) Pandora has now the second LCD cable broke.
Now I want to use my CC Pandora very softly and rare.

But now I need a new device. And now you can help me to find my new device.
The absolute must have is that the same emulators run similar to my Pandora.
Because my thousand tons of savestates must be integrated.
I don't like android devices, because I don't want to register everything and every App in Google (I use a Sailfish OS to my mobile).
I prefer OpenSource Software. Dingoox will be a good choice. It must be powerful enough to run PS1 full speed (PCSX).
The new device should be a bit robust. I will throw it everyday to go in my bag,

Size and screen size should be similar to pandora. But not smaller than the GP2X. I prefer a non-clamshell design.
Hardware Buttons (Digi Pad, shoulder Buttons) should be standard. Analogue Sticks would be fine, but are not critical.
A better screen than my GP2X.
Price is not relevant, but not like the pyra.

My Gagets:
- GP2X, Dingoo A320, Pandora.

Edit: Sorry for my very bad english. I am a German.

Sounds like a PlayStation portable would be good for you. Can run most emulators when hacked

Are savestates plug and play portable between different versions of the same emulator?

Pyra is getting very close to being, 'real'. What is your timeline limit?

PSP is good for PS1, also recommend getting replacement battery. But terrible at other emulation i.e. snes.

I would also look into sending your pandora to Germany for a lcd cable. Did once with one of mine.

I'm in the same situation. Just reflashed an old jdx I had gathering dust at home. And indeed android totally sucks, but still seems the cheap way to go.

I really think that I would go for a gpd xd + (accepting android) or a used gpd win 1.

Sadly I only found two categories of non clamshell devices. Underpowered gp2x like devices or huge (like 7") android gaming tablets.

And for pyra I don't expect to get one within less than a year and l'm a pre-preorder.

Right now if could get a used gpd win for 200€ I would get it without thinking.

I would also look into sending your pandora to Germany for a lcd cable. Did once with one of mine.
About how much was the shipping both ways? I'm considering doing the same so I can use it again, but I thought there weren't any spare cables left.

Pyra is very expensive, I'd go with a PSP or even a PS Vita, since that thing is really good for emulation now that it's hacked. I don't think the savestates would be usable though, since those differ between different emulators.

What, haven't you heard that pyra will be shipping within two months(tm) to pre-preorderers.
Yeah, but the two months(tm) that it'll take for pre-preorders (and the first 300 normal orderers I think) to get their units is a longer type of two months (tm) than it'll take for prototype orders to get their units. Any given two months (tm) span can easily be more than a year, although I'm kind of hopeful just now that the shortest type of two months (tm) mentioned above will be less.

PSP is good for PS1, also recommend getting replacement battery. But terrible at other emulation i.e. snes.

SNES?? The only thing i have trouble emulating is N64

i have NestorJ on my PSP and not had any issues with it. mine is dated 02-06-2012 wonder if there has been an update.. prob not..
Handy psp for Lynx games,gpSP for GBA games, Snes9X Euphoris, daedalus , and Masterboy does gameboy and sega.

And for pyra I don't expect to get one within less than a year and l'm a pre-preorder.

Pyra is the device of eternal optimism. If the currently 'in the works' case revisions work out, I expect to see mine in early August. Pre-Pre-Orders would then be October-ish?

There is a lot of IF in that, but the majority of the work has been done at this point.

PS vita is easily hackable and with emulators? Didn't know and love the idea, even in my neighbourhood I can get one used easily.

I really don't like the idea of hacking/jailbreaking a device. I mean I like to support devices that don't constrain the user this way. And I guess that things like dosbox and nintendo DS won't work in the vita (at least comfortably), but need to check what are the possibilities of the vita.

Back