I Need A Gadget To Tide Me Over Till The Pandora!

MilanC said:
Actually a Jornada 720 is form-factor-wise more suited to my needs than Pandora. Alas, I guess I can't use it to edit photos over 1024x768...

----------------

I found something quite cool today: Zipit Z2.
For $50, you get:
312MHz ARM processor, 32MB RAM, some small flash memory, MiniSD slot, WiFi, QVGA screen, full keyboard, no touchscreen or mouse.

The included software is no use, but http://www.openzipit.org/ seems to have a modified openembedded tree for it and some instructions...

If I can't find a cheap Jornada, I'm buying this.

Don't bother with a Jornada, I have one from about 3 years ago, it really isn't good for anything. All the accessories needed to make it useful are no longer produced or very expensive, and the battery life sucks even with a new battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
my plan is to buy a ds lite w/ broken screen on ebay. its very possible to snag one for 30 or 40 bucks. a replacement screen can be bought for 15 bucks w/ free shipping. and the repair appears relatively simple, there are short youtube vids on how to do it, no soldering needed. so ill buy it, fix it, get a dstt, and then use it until the pandora comes or I get bored with it. then ill prolly sell it again. it sounds like the best and cheapest plan to me, i suggest you look into it too. i dont expect to pay more than 60 or 70 total, and i may even make a slight profit upon selling the fixed ds again.

dockthepod said:
MilanC said:
I found something quite cool today: Zipit Z2.
Hmmm, this looks pretty fun. If I could get emacs + wifi on a $50 device...

Well there were only two on Ebay, and one entry in Google shops. I'm in the UK and I don't think they sell them here anywhere...

<_<

edit:

Okay, there's one in Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-%252d-Z2A/dp/B00115PR2O) but I bet the shipping will double the cost!

Preliminary research suggests there's not much ported to the platform (Linux-wise) but if it's ARM surely there's stuff out there? I bet it could run most of the Zaurus software, the specs seem to be in the same area.

Damn you guys, i just bought a ZipIt Z2 because of you :-||

I'll report back when i have OpenEmbedded + kdrive + XFCE running on it.

Than i'll stick it in a fake pandora shell and lord it over you guys. Mwhahahhaaa

parag0n said:

I'll report back when i have OpenEmbedded + kdrive + XFCE running on it.

Than i'll stick it in a fake pandora shell and lord it over you guys. Mwhahahhaaa
Careful... i'm *this* close to buying one now! Keep me updated.

B)

I broke down and ordered some NDS flash stuff :ph34r:
Went with the Cyclo and EZ3in1.
Still have to get the Onyx NDS lite though, I will get that retail.
The NDS will be my first Nintendo purchase since I got the original Game Boy back in 1989.

Game-on!

Spectator said:
will continue using my UX1XN, oh wait, I haven't touch it for 3 months!
That thing looks pretty cool but it seems like they made all the mistakes the pandora didn't.

It costs like $3000+ , the battery only lasts 160 minutes and they went with Vista --yikes!

I can't imagine spending that much money on something and then not using it for months at a time.

It must really suck.

ashdjones said:
parag0n said:

Careful... i'm *this* close to buying one now! Keep me updated.
Also close to buying one, I would just like a little more feedback on how much progress has been made. Sounds like there -might- be an X server working, which would at least give a good shell. If I can get confirmation that SSH runs on the thing, I'll purchase :)

Right, finally broke down and bought something other than a grey import pirate NES (Although incident;y I am loving that too, never really played too much centapede, was always more of a missile command kinda guy, but Im amazed at the speed it runs at!).

Got myself a GP2x F100!
Wasn't gonna get one, and I know the general consensus is that pads are better, and touch screen is nice, but I figure if Im gonna get something to tide me over to the Pandora I at least want something with some features missing :D
And for £66 I got one with a TV cradle, all the cables and 2 power supplies... which is everything I need, well in time for christmas, for about the same price as a DS.

At least now I'll have something to read about online other than slipping shipping dates and spurious speculation :D
And I can play arcade perfect MarsMatrix!!!!! yay me!

I just got a text message saying I am due an upgrade on my phone. So I'm guessing a g phone will keep me busy...and get me started on coding on the move for embedded devices once more!

Back