I Need A Gadget To Tide Me Over Till The Pandora!

Gotta admit I am quite anti apple myself though, I tunes is a steaming pile of shit masquarading as a music player... and don't get me started on real player!
But the I phone does look nice dispite all that :D

DS is probably your best option, plenty games available for it. I would be getting one, but the Pandora has already eaten a sizeable chunk of my bank account.

As far as iphone/ipod touch goes, I think it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. It is a nice piece of kit, but it's also a very expensive one!

Time for a topic clean up. Some posts removed, some edited.

Karel Jansens, your off-topic and insulting posts are not wanted on here. Even when this is pointed out to you, you just reply with arrogance. Enjoy a 24 hour post-free period.

lubidog said:
Karel Jansens said:
lubidog said:
Iphone. The best gadget I have ever owned. Now with over the air Podcasting.

I don't care what any of you say, as a very experienced gadgeteer, with enough debts to bear witness to this, nothing has given me so much pleasure in so many ways! Heck, it's my guitar tuner, ipod, tells me when speedcameras are approaching, plays great games, plays my movies, emails, internet, ebook reader, dictaphone, portable piano (essential for my job!), camera, photo viewer

Etc etc etc! The list is endless!

And it is a very good phone.

And it keeps my little girl happy in the car!
So does hard liquor.

See the point?

No, and neither do you!

While you are gnashing your anti-apple teeth the rest of us are just enjoying one of the greatest pieces of kit ever made!

Who's the clever one here?

Back on topic. I just want to second the Eee pc. I have now the 1000h. And it's lovely. Just lovely!

I hate nearly everything that apple makes but they really got the iPhone right- maybe not the implementation (at least in my opinion, I dislike using the phone itself to a large degree) but they definitely got the technology and the marketing. i don't use it as a phone, i just use it for the cool applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
Yea, I should mention that I haven't actually tried ScummVM with Monkey Island. I'm just going by the compatability list.
It's perfectly usable with Day of the Tentacle. I have tried that. (The edges of the screen get cropped slightly, however.)
I have played Monkey Island on my DS, with ScummVM. Works really well. It's one of the apps that is made for the touch screen. :)

There looks to be pretty good emulators for the DS now. When I was playing with this a couple years ago, much of the emulators were primarily for the GBA. But now there are SNES emulators and the like, which makes it a much more worthy homebrew and emulation platform.

migo said:
MDave said:
This might be something to keep you going ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=224246

Not a bad little thing for £30.

I got one of those, it's complete crap. Typical asian rip-off.

How can it be a rip-off when its officially licensed by Sega? :p Besides, I think its TecToy or similar that makes them, a Brazilian manufacturer.

Didn't think they were that bad though. Still, the price is pretty impressive for what you get.

Stumbled across this without really looking for it, and somehow ended up splurging £30 on it and another cart with a further 118 games on it :D

I'd imagine its one of those Nes on a chip things with a couple of roms... and I know I've actually got a perfectly usable NES in the house already.... I also know that any of the games I don't have I could play on the PC..... grudgingly Im even willing to admit that 200 of those games are going to be steaming piles of cack....
But its semi portable, the pads have gotta be more comfortable than NES ones, and everyone likes playing duckhunt :D

Heres a review: http://www.gadgetspeak.com/gadget/article....91/article.html
Its cheapest here but they don't have the carts... >Link removed because I have no faith in either comapny in the UK selling them<

AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDD I've just discovered the company I placed my order with is a semi fraudulant one, and have had to spend 40 minuites contacting my bank, and them and paypal informing them of my decision to cancel my order within the 24 hour cooling off period, and that Im more then sad enough to take this to Trading Standards if they don't confirm it within 5 days all as described in the terms and conditions I had to agree too.
:( that sucks I really wanted that..... And now I nackered and need to sleep :(

(Haven't linked the site I ordered from... not sure if its slander or libel tbh, but lets put it this way, run a search on the customer review site Ciao before placing any orders for one of these!)

I recommend anyone get an Ipod Touch, you can get the G1 model for £100-£150 now.

My experience with it went like this:

"What's the point exactly? It has no bloody buttons."
(In the Apple Shop) "Oh wow this interface is so lovely!"
(Over the next few weeks) "Good grief, I have the techno-lust... I simply have to get one now."
(After getting one) "Woah, it's way to posh for me. I don't feel worthy enough! Hang on, why should my gadget make me feel like a peasant?"
"Argh... bloody fingerprints!"
"They call this sound quality?!"

-I enjoy a lot of accelorometer games with some cool design
-The gloss of the device wears off.
-It's still a well designed interface so I carry on using it.
-I find myself using it every day for:

Reading my Wikipedia dump (£5 application called 'Encyclopedia'), Reading Ebooks (Free reader called Stanza which includes over-the-air downloading from various repositories), Podcasts (I've never owned an Ipod before and i've never done Podcasts but i'm really enjoying them), Chiptunes (Free chiptune player called SC68 player with over-the-air archive of 3000+ Atari St tunes), reading saved webpagees (free program called Instapaper which can store pages from any computer which you download over-the-air with your ipod later), and live internet browsing with Safari (which is actually really nice to use despite the low resolution because: The font rendering works really well at any size, it has a double-tap zoom feature to any element of the page such as the main block of text which mostly cuts off... the adverts!).

The games i've played so far have impressed and delighted me. The iTunes app store really is a level playing field for anyone to get a free or commercial game out there... and it shows!

Check out a site like http://toucharcade.com/ to see what sort of stuff is coming out.

Wibrain B1. Great machine, can do most office stuff, almost all emus work (including n64, psx, mame, etc), lots of full PC games work nicely (warcraft III, nwn, deus ex, counter strike, etc.) great for browsing, reading etc, and currently quite cheap, very nice alternative until Pandora arrives. If you want to play kof, I've tested kof2002 and kof98 and they both work well with 2df and ggop online services, so if you have wifi, you can beat the crap out of the whole world online.

ashdjones said:
I recommend anyone get an Ipod Touch, you can get the G1 model for £100-£150 now.

My experience with it went like this:

"What's the point exactly? It has no bloody buttons."
(In the Apple Shop) "Oh wow this interface is so lovely!"
(Over the next few weeks) "Good grief, I have the techno-lust... I simply have to get one now."
(After getting one) "Woah, it's way to posh for me. I don't feel worthy enough! Hang on, why should my gadget make me feel like a peasant?"
"Argh... bloody fingerprints!"
"They call this sound quality?!"

-I enjoy a lot of accelorometer games with some cool design
-The gloss of the device wears off.
-It's still a well designed interface so I carry on using it.
-I find myself using it every day for:

Reading my Wikipedia dump (£5 application called 'Encyclopedia'), Reading Ebooks (Free reader called Stanza which includes over-the-air downloading from various repositories), Podcasts (I've never owned an Ipod before and i've never done Podcasts but i'm really enjoying them), Chiptunes (Free chiptune player called SC68 player with over-the-air archive of 3000+ Atari St tunes), reading saved webpagees (free program called Instapaper which can store pages from any computer which you download over-the-air with your ipod later), and live internet browsing with Safari (which is actually really nice to use despite the low resolution because: The font rendering works really well at any size, it has a double-tap zoom feature to any element of the page such as the main block of text which mostly cuts off... the adverts!).

The games i've played so far have impressed and delighted me. The iTunes app store really is a level playing field for anyone to get a free or commercial game out there... and it shows!

Check out a site like http://toucharcade.com/ to see what sort of stuff is coming out.

If you have an iPod touch (or iPhone), be sure to grab MotionX Poker, its $0.99 now, and grab MotionX Dice (FREE!)... which yours truly was the lead developer on.... :)

Argh, don't orfer from that otherplace I listed on that grey market snes emulator, even more fraudualnt than the last apparantly!
I wonder what it is about shoddy chinese pirate NES consoles that attract unscrupilous traders? :huh:

Anyway, found one of these going on Ebay (This time from a trader with 100% possitive feedback, my journey is finally at an end :D), never seen it before anywhere... probably really shit....
Exact same thing, only one of the pads is an ARCADE STICK!
And the gun looks like a toy:
2221_1.JPG

I'm really hoping the games aren't repeated too often :D
(Incidently, how come they don't just release one of these things with a Sega and Nintendo SOC (is that right?) and a CD drive?

I know its cack, but like £12.... that'll do till I can decide on what I really want.
Since we now all know we aren't seeing a Pandora till 2009 sometime, looks like more gadgets are in order :D

Oblivioner, don't suppose the wibrain has TV out?
I remember considering one of these a while back, but I was alot poorer back then.
Seems to me if it can run all that stuff, I might be better off maybe canceling my Pandora and getting that, rather than getting a Pandora AND say an I-pod touch.

Not saying I will of course.... but Im really getting a gadget itch :D

At the moment I've narrowed it down to one of everything suggested on this thread lol.
(Although a DS phat is seeming a really good budget option to hold off the pangs).

Night Wind said:
If you have an iPod touch (or iPhone), be sure to grab MotionX Poker, its $0.99 now, and grab MotionX Dice (FREE!)... which yours truly was the lead developer on.... :)
If it's the one i'm thinking of (the dice simulator), I enjoyed it a lot (especially the different rolling sounds). I noticed it was advertised on telly with the iPod Touch, or am I thinking of a different app?

lubidog said:
[the iphone] is a very good phone.
relatively, not at all. And in terms of hardware design and OS choice, it's an awful portable PC too.
maxSteiner said:
Ok, first off, I know this isn't really a useful post, but if I can't tap the collective wisdom of likeminded geeks in a forum, where can I do it?

I honestly don't mind waiting till January, or maybe even feb to get my Pandora, and I can just about get by without whatever interest my bank would give me on it in that time :D
BUT I've realised alot of my christmas plan this year was involving a dinky little high tech gadget.

Im gonna be working pretty much all of christmas (6.30 AM start x-mas eve, no freaking over time!>!?!?!.... ah well at least the place is heated thats one better than my first job :D), but still hope to spend some time with friends I never really get to see dispite living in the same town (I quite like giving gifts so its a good excuse lol), and I was hoping to play some king of fighters (Im guessing Im not unique here, but the only time I get to play 2d fighters with willing opponants is round the hlidays).

And therein lies my problem.
I had some intricate fantasy, of me standing behind the counter at work, pandora proped behind the screen, monkey island running, solving puzzels between customers, finishing work and walking with my entire music collection on a couple of SD's, getting round a friends house and aweing them with the bleeding edge emulation tech in my hand, then dissapointing them when all I use it for is 80's arcade machines and Neo Geo games :D

Now Im gonna have to accept that it isnt gonna play out that way.
More likely is that I go to work, it drags and I want to actually die there and then.
I finish, and to deaden the pain of my deadend existance I drink enough alcohol to poisen my slender frame.
Wake up, sit around doing nothing, then the next day go to work, and repeat the cycle.

Obviously noone wants that, so Im gonna need to buy a shiny bit of grey/black plastic clad gadgetry to keep me ammused.
Now, dispite working in a deadend job, I am actually quite good at saving money, Im not Richie Rich or nothing, but I do have something approaching a disposable income, and a small stack in the bank (Was planning on running off to india for a year and living in Manili under the pretense of writing my book :D), so clearly I need to find something to spend some of it on too keep me happy over the most depressing time for service sector workers!

I had considered a Wii at some points, but honestly, I don't have time to play games at home these days, and I live about 2 miles from my friends (who for some reason think nothing of getting me to walk to theirs and back, but would never think of returning the favour...).

I also find myself considering a 360 or a PS3, don't get me wrong, I think they're completly cack, but they do have KoF12 coming out...

An Iphone? A bit pointless really...

An MP4 player.... gonna get dumped as soon as the Pandora arrives (although that said I've been without a dedicated player for months now, keep telling myself the Pandora ships soon, but its always gonna be like that till it arrives in my hand...), also, not exactly exciting.
Originally before I decided on a Pandora I was thinking something like a Gemei x760+ or SmartQ T5-II they seem like the happy middle road, but living in England I actually get raped if I try and import something electronic (And then I have to repay my postage so royal mail can get a slice...), added to that theres the fact that it will get absolutly NO use once I have a Pandora...

Um.... one of those T-shirts with a touch pad drum kit.... Not quite the same league perhaps, but could well keep me giggling till the Pandora arrives...

Or.... a massive Hunter S Thompson style drugs cache to keep me sedated till the Pandora arrives....

Ultimatly though I reach the same conclusion, with the possible exception of a novelty noise making Tshirt, I won't really get much use out of any of them :(

And so I turn to you, my fellow geeks, and ask what suggestions you may have to tide me over these long winter months?

so you need a cheap portable geek toy that won't become obsolete upon receiving a pandora...

get a cat.

Back