I just need to tell someone about this, I feel awful

j0e

I ordered a replacement screen for my gp2x wiz (been cracked since 2010) since I found them online, and in the process of replacing it I snapped off the top part of the holder for the ribbon cable, meaning the cable doesn't sit tightly in the holder any more. When I tried turning it on I think I short-circuited something because all I've managed to get out of the new display (and now the old one for that matter) is plain white. So in trying to fix the display I inadvertently broke the whole unit. I was so excited to try out qtopia again too. :c

I wanted to develop a new yeti3d-based game for the wiz in my spare time but it looks like that plan is no longer to be. I've tried to get over it but I still lament over it late at night.

Worse still, I wasn't supposed to let myself fix the screen until after my last exam as an incentive to do well on it, so I put the parcel away when it arrived, but a couple of days later I gave in and unpackaged the screen, tried to replace it and broke my wiz. In the end I got 42% on my exam because I didn't do any revision.

I'm an awful person :(

You've got to live and learn. It is not the first time, and will not be the last. Also, you are not the only one. (God, lemme see: blown up a car engine (do not ignore security lights, eventhough your dealer says all is fine, still need to buy ODB cables and check it with the pandora), speakers (did not put volume to zero before connecting a mic), a zx spectrum (the expansion port does NOT work with everything), killed a new C64 in less than 5 minutes(not sure how I did that, it just stopped working), A CRT screen, with a rollercoaster demo (I think it was from FutureCrew), I used an unsupported color depth (14 bits).... it sparked, then did poof, screen to a dot, including that little smoke puff). Ah, and once an XT, you see, they did not have asymetric connectors like nowadays, no sir ....  you REALLY needed to look for the 1 (first pin).  Does that make you feel better?

Now, in your state of mind you got 42%, imagine if you were up in high spirits! You did poor because of the noscivo effect. Try placebo effects, they work too :) ie: put on your favourite shirt, your supersocks, or your magic pen. Of course, first you got to believe they work, then they really work...

and learn to NEVER give in again...

also, now you have some extra free time. Do something useful with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
uhm... maybe comb it once in a while?
CucyN5y.png

Hmm you know... I´d better not get started..

But my psychopath (or how that doctor is called) tells me that you have to go up a Hill and jum.. look down once in a while just to appreciate how little all those things matter :)

I´m sometimes still not shure if jumping would not be better, but thats another story :D

I killed a Japanese Dreamcast (maybe only the power supply inside ?), by plugging it to the French electricity network, forgetting it needed a 110V adapter (that I did own and use with my Saturn...).

A few months ago I killed my iPod Classic. Even though it was 7 years old it still worked perfectly, I had also installed Rockbox on it. Only thing that failed was the battery. So I ordered a replacement battery from iFixit. Unfortunately the whole procedure didn't work as supposed (it looked soooooo straightforward on the website), so I ended up with the iPod open, but the display got a crack and the case got bent. So... if you ever want to have the battery on your iPod (I think that counts for most iProducts) changed... hand it over to the professionals. :-/

your magic pen
I don't rely on mine.  I have an old space pen I love, and it makes me feel good to have it for some reason.  I was taking a class I was really no good at and just after it started I misplaced my pen.  I made it through the class, with a final grade much higher than I expected, but every day I walked to class I wished I had my pen.  I found the pen after I finished the class.

So... if you ever want to have the battery on your iPod (I think that counts for most iProducts) changed... hand it over to the professionals. :-/
I may need to swap the battery (and replace the drive with something that will not suffer mechanical failure) in mine.  I don't want someone else working on it.  If I kill it I will just replace it with a SanDisk Clip Sport, as they were recently recommended to me, or something else that is durable, reliable and cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back