I just need to ask about something....

Now I'm just rambling randomly about OT stuff, so skip rest of this post, it propably doesnt contain anything useful.

Just didnt want to delete it, so spoiler'd.

.... that's sad, I'd have used The Box over the current appstore any day. TBH I dont use the current appstore (too much a PITA for my schedule).

But regarding dflemstr's reasons, quote: "The Pandora project doesn't embrace open source. They haven't allowed any major contributions from the community to the core image at all." I think they've been easier to work with than some others. OTOH I dont know what is a "major contribution" in his context. If you've middle clicked on your pandora with the nubs, it is a proof that something somebody non-OP did has gotten in, or ran at OPP5, or... (sorry, my bias is inevitable :p ). Of course these have been minor feature additions. But to do something

major and get it in takes a lot of time, iterating & testing on many open source projects, and you often need to do it all on your own.

eg. I spent about two months ("a summer", cant remember more exactly) on getting a simple documented (open source) external serial port based flasher protocol driver into flashrom. I'm still pretty proud of my design TBH, but it was a big task to get it in, and took a lot of ping-pong

on the mailing list (on that note, I think openpandora should get one for OS development, could boost collaboration, but YMMV...), etc...

On the other hand I think craigix was a bit over when he said that we would have been in trouble had the box been adopted as the official appstore and then (for some other reason) dflemstr had quit. It was (/would have been?) open source (AFAIK) anyways, and propably run on ED's servers, so what would the problem have been?... This is all sad & useless drama if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's a bit disingenuous. I don't see too much of Chip, dflemstr, Firefox, efegea, Otaco or Chad these days, to mention a few names (most of them good ones).

Quite a few people did leave along the way, though others came in also.
By that I meant that the community is still here. I did follow it up with "Individuals have come and gone but the community has persisted".

People coming and going is the natural ebb and flow of things in any community I guess.

Chad is an interesting inclusion on your list :D

Chad is an interesting inclusion on your list :D
He was hard to forget. B)

I don't think he was a bad sort really, just a bit too involved than was good for anyone when there was so much bad news coming out.

You're right, I didn't read your original post carefully enough. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigx! ATTACK! It's super effective! Gruso uses reason! It fails. Craigx uses quip! He stuns the noob!

Sig'd
tongue.gif

Hmmm. I missed that incident with dflemstr.

It's a shame he quit as he was a very valued community member, but I understand his reasoning and have to agree with him on some points. He will be missed.

Nevertheless, this is the natural flow of communities. Members come and go. I do think the Pandora community is quite alive right now and with all the Pandoras arriving this week there will be both more developers and more incentive to develop.

Oh go and buy a PSP.
Yes they are assembled by hand, all parts are top quality, best d-pad i have ever come across ever. Best screen quality nice and sharp, perfection at its best, Thanks Craig, ED and the rest of the forum for everything they have done, only the best is yet to come for many years.

Ta

007JAWS

:( do you think there would be anyway we could get dflemstr back?

No idea. I also don't know what the problem was, really.

I wanted to setup thebox on my servers, it was a bit more complicated so I didn't manage to do it at the beginning.

Then a lot happened (went to UK for assembling Pandoras, nubs broke, etc.), so I completely forgot to send him a mail about that.

When I did, he said he stopped working on it and that was basically it. Pretty sad.

About contributions:

We're happy about any OS contributions - and we have included quite a few patches already.

urjaman did some nice bugfixes which have all been worked into the OS.

The GIT is fully open and patches put on the Bugtracker are usually being tested and checked and then included in the OS if they make sense.

No idea where that came from...

On the other hand I think craigix was a bit over when he said that we would have been in trouble had the box been adopted as the official appstore and then (for some other reason) dflemstr had quit. It was (/would have been?) open source (AFAIK) anyways, and propably run on ED's servers, so what would the problem have been?... This is all sad & useless drama if you ask me.
As a matter of fact, source for The Box is still available. Anyone could run it on their own server if they wanted, and I would be excited if they did. Then again, I'm not sure what more work is needed on the code to make it production-worthy, though it seemed pretty solid when dflemstr was demoing it before.

But I don't think we'll be able to get dflemstr back. As he said, he didn't like the way things here were organized, but that's not the only reason he left: also, what he wants in a handheld has changed. He had a strong interest in Android for a long time, and I think he's moved onto communities around that. But he also said he'd be open to collaboration on software designed to be multiplatform.

But he also said he'd be open to collaboration on software designed to be multiplatform.

aww well I hope we can get him back in some form or another. :)

also in regards to the box I am writing a php version of what he started basically (i know most people already know) I would pick up his work if I knew how to code with the language he used plus I dont think my isp would be able to host it. It requires to be compiled right?

aww well I hope we can get him back in some form or another. :)

also in regards to the box I am writing a php version of what he started basically (i know most people already know) I would pick up his work if I knew how to code with the language he used plus I dont think my isp would be able to host it. It requires to be compiled right?
What he used is scala, it's using the same virtual machine as Java, but the code is cleaner and shorter than with java.

So if your hosting has a java server (glassfish), it'll be able to host websites written in scala.

I also don't understand his comment that Android phones are more open than the Pandora - after all, while source may be available for almost everything, you have to have root access to do anything interesting with the system, and isn't the jailbreaking process completely unsupported and discouraged (i. e. the carriers try as hard as they can to prevent it)?

What he used is scala, it's using the same virtual machine as Java, but the code is cleaner and shorter than with java.

So if your hosting has a java server (glassfish), it'll be able to host websites written in scala.
Ah Scala... An OO developer's wet dream.

Back