I just need to ask about something....

Pandora3000

Still Fresh
Is the Pandora scene alive, and will it continue? I've been looking at one, but I really don't want my awesome piece of hardware to go to waste after a month or two + the 350$ price tag.

I also know that the scene is fairly recent, considering there are only about 1800 of them out there.

Thonk youz. :]

the scene has been around for about 2+ years ever since the planning stages I guess, Iv been following the scene since pre-order stages, got my pandora in june/july last year :) I love it.

This forum is a part of the Pandora community (the other part is on GP32X forum).

Just look at how many entries there was during the past 24 hours: http://boards.openpa...arch&do=active.

Then I'll remind you that a lot of people were waiting their pandora to find the energy to start a project for it.

And right now a bunch of them got their Pandora, and more Pandora are on their way!

My conclusion is that not only the Pandora scene is alive, but its percentage of active (like in "coding") members is expanding.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just need to ask... Are the Pandora units handmade? Lolz, probably a dumb question, but the Pandora was announced in 2008 (I think), and only about 1400 are out there (according to the website). Do they just have unsufficient funds or what?

I just need to ask... Are the Pandora units handmade? Lolz, probably a dumb question, but the Pandora was announced in 2008 (I think), and only about 1400 are out there (according to the website). Do they just have unsufficient funds or what?
Inexperienced team doing this for the first time. A lot of mistakes, errors and disasters have happened.

Some noteworthy events: bank froze accounts after preorders (few months delay), case design and especially mold creation proved to be very difficult with Chinese business partners (6+ months delay), Volcano errupted (month?), first batch of nubs weren't of high enough quality (redesign/production (+/- 6 months), etc..

If you're really patient you can find all info about this back on these boards and more importantly the boards at gp32x.de.

Assembly is done by a small team by hand in the UK. I think they do about 500 units in 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Oh go and buy a PSP.

The scene has actually been around for quite a while. The Pandora has born on the GP32X forums, which themselves were formed around the Gamepark GP32, circa 2004. As more handhelds came out of Korea (GP2X F100, F200, and more recently the Wiz and Caanoo) the community continued to grow around them.

The Pandora was first conceived on the GP32X forums in 2007. As Kodeln said, the community is now based at both forums (the official ones here and the community ones at GP32X). In terms of software development and release news, there is more activity at GP32X.

It's now a touch over two years since preordering, and with the complete first batch still not delivered, we're all still here :) Alongside all the new faces are software devs and gamers who have been around since the GP32 days. Individuals have come and gone but the community has persisted, and without it, the project probably would have failed already. I have no doubt that the scene will continue to get stronger as production goes on.

Regarding the time it has taken, Caine summed it up nicely.

Delays can and do happen, so keep that in mind if you decide to order. :)

That "Craigix" character...I think he's a troll. :p

On topic: I don't see the community dying. The people here are pretty dedicated.

Hey, don't let him push you around. If he gives you any trouble, just bring up "The Noodle Incident."

Yeah, after The Noodle Incident, I don't think the world will ever be the same again. It's a shame, really.

It's now a touch over two years since preordering, and with the complete first batch still not delivered, we're all still here :)
Well, that's a bit disingenuous. I don't see too much of Chip, dflemstr, Firefox, efegea, Otaco or Chad these days, to mention a few names (most of them good ones).

Quite a few people did leave along the way, though others came in also.

Well, that's a bit disingenuous. I don't see too much of Chip, dflmestr, Firefox, efegea, Otaco or Chad these days, to mention a few names (most of them good ones).

Quite a few people did leave along the way, though others came in also.
Woot, when did he quit? :( ...

Woot, when did he quit? :( ...
Last October. Some reading material about the reasons (from both "sides") here and here.

To boil things down very simplistically, dflemstr believed that the OP team had asked him to code an appstore site and was ticked off when they forgot that they'd asked for it and didn't use his code, while craigix didn't like that he was being told what to do by someone who he felt he had no reason to listen to.

Back