i have to reflash pandora every days or 2 days...

When it fails, have you tried booting with any of the other boot options?  (eg boot to 2.6 kernel or boot to CLI?)

- Neelix

just tryed.

the boot 2.6 kernel shows a black screen with many things written.

the last line is "starting kernel"

and the screen becomes totally black and nothing happens. (it should?)

the CLI mode do the same, but rather than the black screen of the precedent mode, it loads many things in the black screen

and the loading process stops with this thing:

networkmanager: ************** START ***************

starting pandora pnd seamon: pndnotifyd

[ 38.779083] ubi: scrubbed peb 3169 (Leb 0:1951), data moved to peb 1980

[ 39.104034] ubi: scrubbed peb 3339 (leb 0:1574), data moved to peb 3169

[ 39.178802] ubi: scrubbed peb 3338 (leb 0:1575), data moved to peb 3339

(here an "ANgstrom" text written in ascii-art style)

the angstrom distribution mynick-openpandora tty1

angstrom 2010.4-test-20121016 mynick-openpandora tty1

mynick-openpandora login: [ 41.236236] ubi: scrubbed feb 3586 (leb 0:139), data moved to peb 3338

[ 41.388427] ubi: scrubbed peb 777 (leb 0:16), data moved to peb 3586

networkmanager: 0x403c5c64 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

networkmanager: ************************end*********************

here i typed my login and password

and it indicates:

mynick-openpandora:~$ failed to open connection to system bus: failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: no such file or directory

[ 200.078857] uncorrectable error :

[ 200.078979] ubi warning: ubi_io_read: error -74 (ECC error) while reading 284 bytes from peb 2763:18712, read only 284 bytes, retry

i understand abslutely nothing at all in all this.

have i to type something to continue the loading?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting because it means you successfully booted to the CLI mode.

As for what happened with 2.6, that seems to be an issue that sometimes occurs on reboot but not on boot from power-off.

at the prompt, type sudo poweroff  and press enter

once it shuts down could you give it about 30 secs then try to boot the 2.6 kernel again?

- Neelix

EDIT:

[ 200.078857] uncorrectable error :

[ 200.078979] ubi warning: ubi_io_read: error -74 (ECC error) while reading 284 bytes from peb 2763:18712, read only 284 bytes, retry
wtf?   the filesystem  on NAND is read only?    What would cause that?   -  Sounds like what my netbook does when it detects a journal error on my SD card. (auto re-mount as read only,  reboot needed to mount as read/write)

at the prompt, type sudo poweroff  and press enter

once it shuts down could you give it about 30 secs then try to boot the 2.6 kernel again?
I have tryed it. after the shutdown, i've waited 1 min and powered on the pandora but it does the same thing than what i described above.

(black screen with nothing and no loading)

wtf?   the filesystem  on NAND is read only?    What would cause that?   -  Sounds like what my netbook does when it detects a journal error on my SD card. (auto re-mount as read only,  reboot needed to mount as read/write)
according to your reaction, i guess it is not a good news. :(

Well,  I don't really know enough about how the NAND works and how UBIFS works to really understand what underlying problem that symptom is indicating.   It might be something easily solved once diagnosed, or it might be a hardware issue requiring a replacement unit.  I'm hoping someone with a better understanding of the way these work will chip in soon.

- Neelix

some news.

i have installed superzaxxon 1.52, and upgraded the OS.

after the upgrade was complete i've rebooted the pandora.

the 1st screen (with the progress bar and 1.53 superzaxxon text) displays normally, then appears the black screen normally, and instead of the splashscreen that should display just before the desktop, there is a window message: "unable to load a failsafe session. the spacified failsafe session ("failsaife") is not marked as a failsafe sessionontisessions/(null)/Count"

and there is only a "quit" button.

when i clic on the "quit" button there is again the black screen with the "bufferclass_ti.ko file not found" error message.

BUT this time this screen stays 2 sec or so and the loading continue until a screen appears and asks me my login and password (even if i choosed the "connect directly to the desktop" option during the installation of the os).

when i enter them the window message "unable to load a failsafe session etc..." re-appears.

i can only clic on the "quit" button, which reloads the login screen etc... etc... undefinitely.

i noticed just after i installed the OS, when i entered the desktop (before the upgrade) the 1st thing i've done is searching for the bufferclass_ti.ko file in its location (/lib/modules/3.2.30/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/) but it was not present.

i specify that i have not used any sd card after the os installation.

Speaking of SD Card installation:

You could try to run the OS from SD Card.

If this error doesn't happen then, it's most likely the NAND.

Speaking of SD Card installation:

You could try to run the OS from SD Card.

If this error doesn't happen then, it's most likely the NAND.
i don't understand.

how can i run the os from the sd card please?

the sd card contains the superzaxxon files needed for the installation, not the installed os.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sd-install-2011-03-10

The SD can also be done manually with a linux pc - if you have problems having the pandora run the OS at all, but someone else will have to write the step-by-step instructions for that...

And IIRC you need two SDs with that utility, one with the sd-installer pnd and a rootfs package and the another as the SD install target.

It is also possible to clone the OS from NAND to SD manually, but if you have NAND problems that is propably not wise.

thanks for the link.

i've finally installed it on a SD card. i will test it and tell how it works after some sessions on it

thanks again

i noticed just after i installed the OS, when i entered the desktop (before the upgrade) the 1st thing i've done is searching for the bufferclass_ti.ko file in its location (/lib/modules/3.2.30/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/) but it was not present.
One thing worth noting here is that failing to load that module is actually normal. The module in question is a legacy of the old version of the kernel, and is still needed if you boot with the old one and does no harm if you try and fail to load it with the new one, so the OS tries and fails to load it anyway.

thanks neelix for explanations.

up to now and during last night and all this day, i've noticed nothing abnormal. all works normally, the pandora have been booted many times.

i prefer test a more time to be sure but according to what has been said this conclude that there is a problem with the NAND...

i continue to use the unit with the os installed in the card to be sure.

If you do try booting from NAND again,  Could you try something when PNDs stop launching but before attempting a reboot?

See if you can open a Terminal  (I suspect this will work even if you can't launch PND's)

If you can do so,  type this:

Code:
free
dmesg |grep UBI

Then post the results of each (preferably on pastebin.com or behind a spoiler tag for the latter)

- Neelix

i will try, but it is not easy because often i don't notice  any pnd problem before the next boot crashes.

so it's hardly predictable but i will try

Ahhh... how to the crashes normally present themselves?  What do you see and what (if anything) can you do when it has crashed?

- Neelix

when the problem arrives, i can notice it only during the boot of the pandora. and i can't access the OS.

it is what i described at the 1st post of this topic.

i should not call it a "crash" because generally when i am in the desktop all is ok. it is at the next boot that the os refuses to load.

for example, there is 5 minutes ago i rebooted and the loading process has stopped during the progress bar screen.

just before i reboot, all was good when i used the pnds.

so now the os can't loads anymore, and i can't do anything else but reflash or load the cli mode as you asked me to do here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11725-i-have-to-reflash-pandora-every-days-or-2-days/page-2#entry218688

Were you able to reproduce the problem while booting from SD?

no.

when i boot from the SD card (where i installed a copy of the OS with the sd installer application) the system loads and run without problem. i use it during almost 3 days without problem. so i am nearly convinced that there is a problem with the nand.

something is not clear for me:

when i boot from the sd card: i power the pandora on, with the R shoulder button pressed and i choose the "boot from sd card" option.

but even if i power the pandora on, without pressing the R shoulder button, the pandora loads the sd card containing the OS if it is inserted.

is it normal?

next question:

when i reinstall superzaxxon in the nand, the first steps are messages like:

"...[don' remember what is written here]... already installed -> skipped

...[don't remember what is written here]... already installed -> skipped

..."

maybe there is a way to force the reinstallation of what is already installed, and not skip them.

it could maybe be a solution to reinstall completely the os and not skip some parts of it?

does someone know?

That Skipped-messages are fine, it just checks whether you got the latest bootloader and kernel installed.

Whether it boots automatically from your SD Card depends on whether you name the boot file on the SD Card 'boot.txt' or 'autoboot.txt' :)

It really sounds you got a bad NAND, so we should replace that at some time.

aaaahhh finaly all my problems will go. thanks!!!

what have i to do for this? and when?

Back