3rd reflashing in 2 days needed?

b_o_b

Advanced Member
Hi

I had some issues with charging my battery and I thought that could also be responsible for corrupting data (low power - continuously on / off)

Yesterday I managed to charge the battery to 92%. Today started the pandora again and shut it down to remove the battery. Then restarted the Pandora and it hang in the boot up screen - after a long time it showed a message (unfortunately forgot to write it down) . So this time it was surely not caused by the uncharged battery.

Rebooted again - same hang during booting up - after a long wait I am presented with a login cursor without graphics. 

trying to login results in this message "/bin/login: error while loading shared libraries: libpam_misc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

I can reflash again, but because it already happened a few times in a short period of time I am pretty sure that will not solve it permanently .

Last edited by a moderator:
It really could be that this is a case of NAND failure. There are no other reports of that kind yet, so far i know tho.
Guess you have to boot from SD and do a NAND sanity test.

NAND failure sounds plausible. Care to explain how to do a NAND sanity test - any tutorial on the wiki?

I was hoping an other person jumps in to go on. 

I only know theoretically and using a tool for it might be more straightforward. 

Theoretically you would have to boot from sd, write patterns to the NAND and check if they read out OK. 

Practically i know the NAND needs special commands to access it, not sure if you can even write to it above the filesystem. Also i have no idea what pattern to use, plain bunch of 1 or 0 wont work so am i told.

In the past i used this method: Take the md5 of a big yet fitting file, write it to the media you want to test, check the md5 of the file on the media.

If it mismatches it is certainly a broken drive. But this is absolutely not enough to verify that the drive is 100% OK as not every bit gets checked. 

But enough to sort out old thumbdrives...

While the NAND is a possibility.. (Don't mean to sound like an ass) But the chances of you burning through NAND to the point it's corrupting standard operation like that would only be something I'd consider after ~10-100TB (Yes Terabyte)'s worth of transfers. Unless you either fall into the rate of failure for the chips (Ultra low) or it's low quality NAND. 

You'd be better off transferring the OS to a SD Card and trying to see if the same issues persist while you run the OS off of the SD card for a few days. If it does you know the NAND is not the issue and can start looking into other things. If it runs fine, then you know you have bad NAND blocks. You could either use the "Badblocks" command and send that over to something that designates the bad blocks (So it doesn't write to them), or buying a new motherboard. OR of course, just no using the NAND at all, and using the SD cards.

I have installed supersaxxon on SD and starting from SD is not a big deal (don't need both slots) so I will try that for now. Thx.

May i asked how you did so? 

I grabbed the SD version of Saxxon the other day and it refused boot for me. I assumed it needs more steps than extracting to work. 

I have not really looked into it as i dont exactly need it, but you make it sound that it should have worked.

Ah there is a tool for, thanks.

Makes me wonder why there is a special SD version when its not an extractable ready image. 

It is basically a ready-image - just unpack it to your SD card. Only tricky bit is you need to write a boot.txt file to tell it how to boot the kernel, and that's documented on the README of the firmware folder.

It is basically a ready-image - just unpack it to your SD card. Only tricky bit is you need to write a boot.txt file to tell it how to boot the kernel, and that's documented on the README of the firmware folder.
Nope, at least the file i tried had not worked even with a boot.txt.

Maybe you can use this little Outdated SD Image:
Yes,unfortunaly need USBIT a Windows to work,
Hoëcker, Sie sind raus!

Back