I Have A Gp2x...

Jarska333

What do you want?
Website
Visit site
I've pretty much given up on completing the installation of a D-pad on my 2X. Just don't have the skills. :( So, I have a otherwise fully working 2X, but without a stick, and a great big nasty dremelled hole where it used to be. :blink:

What can one do with it? There seems to be cradles still available, how is the support for USB pads, mice and keyboars, in general? How about external storage? For a tv-top system. :)

Or, should I try to sell the bugger? Who would need such a thing? :huh:

Or, should I try to seek up a more skillfull installer... :rolleyes:

How much would you like for that thing? maybe I could take it off your hands. If you don't decide to keep it that is.. purely guessing it ought to work as a set top box with the cradle??
(it's probably beyond me too to fix the dpad/stick but what the hell if it isn't too expensive it's something to play with until the new machine comes out) That is, if you think anyone may be able to knock something useable up in the slightest, never mind the looks.

And part of me always wished I got a 2X earlier.. regardless if you'd consider it I too would like to see a pic or two :)

Ooo, a pic... From 1.3 mpixel phonecam, no less.

img0013wb3.jpg

As you may see, there is indeed a circular hole where the pad used to be, about the same size as a NES-pad with corners filed down. Wires are connected to the proper holes; I can navigate by shorting the proper wires, doubtfull I could play Mario like that. Currently, soldering the wires to an old Game&Watch d pad board I have, would be the next step. Then, I'd need to find a way to get the pad-assembly to stick together, and stick in the same place. Perhaps a plastic card, cut to size... :unsure:

But, I have, to my disappointment, noticed, that this really seems to be beyond my soldering/dremeling/DIY skills. :(

And I managed to find that out by wrecking a 180€ game console... <_<

Jarska333 said:
Ooo, a pic... From 1.3 mpixel phonecam, no less.

img0013wb3.jpg

As you may see, there is indeed a circular hole where the pad used to be, about the same size as a NES-pad with corners filed down. Wires are connected to the proper holes; I can navigate by shorting the proper wires, doubtfull I could play Mario like that. Currently, soldering the wires to an old Game&Watch d pad board I have, would be the next step. Then, I'd need to find a way to get the pad-assembly to stick together, and stick in the same place. Perhaps a plastic card, cut to size... :unsure:

But, I have, to my disappointment, noticed, that this really seems to be beyond my soldering/dremeling/DIY skills. :(

And I managed to find that out by wrecking a 180€ game console... <_<
LMAO!!!! wire it to an old atari joypad or something...but seriously u should be able to do something
with it m8... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind putting myself down, if you don't have the skills it's not likely I will either. Having done no kind of modding and very little soldering before it's probably not the smartest idea I ever had to take this over :D good luck whether you keep at it, sell it or try for help :)

Saying that it seems tidy enough for someone with a bit of experience to be able to sort out if willing, and aware of it.

I can imagine when your heart sank realising this expected improvement ended up wrecking it, at least for now, feel for you there :)

Come on Jarska, don't give up! It's not like you need to make it look good, just make it work. Good luck! :)

MiL0 said:
how much does a 2nd hand mk2 sell for these days?

mine has the dave-c d-pad mod (including the button on the back to replace the stick push)
i would say a lot more than a touch wire version... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude... don't give up! There has to be someone who can help you with this. There's got to be a way to make this work. PM bacteria. His mods are not always the nicest looking but he's gathered tons of experience with stuff like this. Infact, I think he fried one of his gp2xs in the process. I am sure he can give you some good tips on how to rescue your handheld. Damn, this is why I never made the move to actually put a dpad in mine. Laziness and being scared I'd end up with some half done mod. I will try on my F-200 though if the dpad sucks as much as everyone claims.

Ah, that's a thing I've been meaning to check out. Would need some sort of epoxy, that could propably be molded on top of the d-pad for perfect fit, then attached to the hole... I feel, I'd actually need to make it even bigger!

Not going to give up, just... A bit on the backburner... Always looking for small joypads from thrift stores, what have you... Though, I do dread the thing.

Bought a proper camera, been meaning to for a long time... So any faults in pictures I take are because of me, not the camera... :)

img0114co7.jpg

A bit dusty, can't say, if that's dust proper, or plastic residue.

Biggest hindrance, I feel, is my lack off proper working place ATM.

tHANKS FOR THE PIC. Damn caps.. anyway that looks like a nasty wound now!
but still there's not too much lost to clean it up as well as make it playable it seems.
Not impossible just a bit of a job, with hard work, a bit of luck and a few tips you'll get it together I hope. I'll wish you luck again and stand by :)

So, how toxic are those sprayfumes, anyway?

The pad area looks nasty, I was hoping the paint would smoothen it a bit. Thinking about a copper paintjob, will see how it goes.

Back