I Have A Few Questions About My New Unit

2nice4u

Still Fresh
so yeah, I just got one a couple days ago
one thing I noticed is that it isn't back lit, so there's a light in the front but only at the bottom
so some of the colors look distorted (as in kinda dark and over saturated) when I hold the unit pitched back a little
it doesn't bother me much but is this normal?

also, I tried looking every where but I can't find much info on the breakout board
how many usb pheriphels can it support without the need for extra drivers?
like can it support my external harddrive and Logitech Gamepad?
and if they do need drivers, where can I find supported ones?

thanks

• It is backlit, but unfortunately the MKII screen has that weird angle issue .. try adjusting the LCD slider in the settings screen. It may help.
• The BOB needs no drivers.

• It is backlit, but unfortunately the MKII screen has that weird angle issue .. try adjusting the LCD slider in the settings screen. It may help.
• The BOB needs no drivers.
thanks for the reply, but is really looks frontlit to me, looking down at the gp2x screen it looks very bright
and its much darker darker when looking upward
and I read that the LCD slider is for adjusting refresh rates, which seems fine
so about the breakout board, is there any emulators supporting it, I read that cps2emu now does

Last edited by a moderator:
Picodrive and MAME both use it .. I think a couple of other emus as well, but since I don't have one yet, I don't know for sure.

And trust me, it's back-lit. :)

I find that if the software supports gamma correction, ramp it up a bit. 1.0 gamma is standard. Go up to 1.6 or so and you will notice that the screen becomes significantly more visible from what I would call a normal usage angle.

Picodrives supports hardware gamma correction, so give that a go.

In an earlier thread there was a discussion that the viewing angle of the screen being better when you hold the GP2X upside down. Try this out.

one thing I noticed is that it isn't back lit, so there's a light in the front but only at the bottom
so some of the colors look distorted (as in kinda dark and over saturated) when I hold the unit pitched back a little
The only normal thing that might bother some people and is not solvable is the viewing angle, if that is what bothers you, am sorry to tell you that there is nothing to do about it, I found it very annoying at first but now I got used to it, guess you will too.
If you have any other difficulties with the screen, you can try adjusting the settings either with the built in settings menu in the firmware, or using an application that is called the LCD Tweaker that can be found in the archive.
also, I tried looking every where but I can't find much info on the breakout board
It has 4 USB 1.1 ports, support for game pads, dance mats, keyboards, and mice depends on the application you are using.
Hard drives are supported natively, but they have to be self-powered or by powering the BOB through a PSU, for example, if you had a normal external hard drive, that doesn't have a power adaptor for it, you should have two PSUs (one for the GP2X and the other for the BOB).
Some devices can work without the need for powering with the PSU, we refer to them here usually as low voltage devices, of these devices card readers and flash memories.
Some devices might need working around to get them to work, for example there are drivers available to have wi fi sticks working on GP2X, but those need to be of specific chipsets, check before you buy any.
welcome to the community, enjoy your time here and with your GP2X, remember that if you faced any trouble that you have several steps to follow:
1) Reading the read me files that come with the application you are having trouble with.
2) Checking the wiki, on the GP2X newbie websites.
3) Using the search feature on this site, or google to search within this site for answers.
4) If all this didn't solve your problem, post it here, ask nicely, made your question clear, and you are likely to get a response quickly (less than an hour ago, I asked a question in one topic and recieved a reply after less than 4 minutes), if it took more than a day or two it means that either your question is not clear or have been answered zillion of times.

Thanks again to the community, enjoy :)
Edit: Beaten to this one, anyways, the emulators that support gamepads are Pico Drive (Mega drive), MAME (Arcade), Alexx Kid (Master System) and the lates test 5 of the CPS2 emulator (what is CPS2? arcade again, but capcom's arcade: Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel vs Capcom games and so)

The only normal thing that might bother some people and is not solvable is the viewing angle, if that is what bothers you, am sorry to tell you that there is nothing to do about it, I found it very annoying at first but now I got used to it, guess you will too.
If you have any other difficulties with the screen, you can try adjusting the settings either with the built in settings menu in the firmware, or using an application that is called the LCD Tweaker that can be found in the archive.
It has 4 USB 1.1 ports, support for game pads, dance mats, keyboards, and mice depends on the application you are using.
Hard drives are supported natively, but they have to be self-powered or by powering the BOB through a PSU, for example, if you had a normal external hard drive, that doesn't have a power adaptor for it, you should have two PSUs (one for the GP2X and the other for the BOB).
Some devices can work without the need for powering with the PSU, we refer to them here usually as low voltage devices, of these devices card readers and flash memories.
Some devices might need working around to get them to work, for example there are drivers available to have wi fi sticks working on GP2X, but those need to be of specific chipsets, check before you buy any.
welcome to the community, enjoy your time here and with your GP2X, remember that if you faced any trouble that you have several steps to follow:
1) Reading the read me files that come with the application you are having trouble with.
2) Checking the wiki, on the GP2X newbie websites.
3) Using the search feature on this site, or google to search within this site for answers.
4) If all this didn't solve your problem, post it here, ask nicely, made your question clear, and you are likely to get a response quickly (less than an hour ago, I asked a question in one topic and recieved a reply after less than 4 minutes), if it took more than a day or two it means that either your question is not clear or have been answered zillion of times.

Thanks again to the community, enjoy :)
Edit: Beaten to this one, anyways, the emulators that support gamepads are Pico Drive (Mega drive), MAME (Arcade), Alexx Kid (Master System) and the lates test 5 of the CPS2 emulator (what is CPS2? arcade again, but capcom's arcade: Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel vs Capcom games and so)

are you some kind of prodigy around here?

well anyway, I've actually been looking around a lot and learned quite a bit on my own
I do have one other problem I couldn't solve
I tried SquidgeSNES which is supposed to be the best SNES emulator yet far
but I'm having some trouble getting the games to work
super mario all stars loaded but couldn't get to the game select screen
super mario world, nothing
the only game that worked fine was
shadowrun, I just tried that as a control because the wiki site said it ran fullspeed
any ideas?

Regarding games not working in SquidgeSNES, both of those work for me, with SMW running almost fullspeed and SM All Stars running fullspeed. You might make sure your roms are good or use an sd card reader instead of the gp2x + cable, as it has been known to cause problems when copying files.

Regarding games not working in SquidgeSNES, both of those work for me, with SMW running almost fullspeed and SM All Stars running fullspeed. You might make sure your roms are good or use an sd card reader instead of the gp2x + cable, as it has been known to cause problems when copying files.

... I'm not going to mention NK's emu, because no one cares. :p

Back