I Hate Ebay

carlgeorge

Website
Visit site
I have purposely stayed clear of ebay for a few years now because I was buying too many old games consoles that I could never have dreamt of owning as a kid. :)

Anyway, I have just sold my old laptop and desktop on ebay. Because this is the first time in years I have used ebay, I was surprised by the amount of scammers that kept asking to buy the computers outside of ebay for about half my expected price, not how I remember it.

My desktop computer was bought by someone who had just created a fake account giving the contact name of James Bond. Why is it someone would do this? Are people that bored with their lives?
So now I have had to offer the computer to the second highest bidder, but because of how ebay works it is offered at his highest bid not the point that the knobhead's bids started to take affect. If the second highest bidder decides not to buy anymore then I have to re-list the item and somehow persuade ebay not to charge me for the first listing.

I just can't understand why anyone would do this. My experience of ebay has been much different to how I remember it from about 4 / 5 years ago.

Rant over.

Just stress in/on your auction page that you will NOT accept bids from members with less than +10 feedback (Or what ever minimum limit best suits you), And/or request them to email you BEFORE placing a bid, Else their bid will be void and PROMPTLY REMOVED.

Trooper

Friend of mine just had this happen when trying to sell his Blackberry. The buyer claimed to be in the USA (we're in the UK). When requesting payment, my friend was then asked "Oh, can you ship it to Nigeria?". Lets just say he ended up having to relist.

I generally avoid eBay and whenever I look on there for something I want, there are normally 9000 fake ones or ones from places like "China, UK", yeah, because China is a county in the UK... or are more expensive than buying the damn things from the shops. Utter waste of time.

File a grievance with ebay, ask them to investigate. A couple years back, a friend of mine put a really good video card (for the time) up for auction. First few bids brought it up to $10, and then someone bid $300. At the last minute, that $300 bid was retracted, knocking the price down to $10. The second place guy then proceeded to harass my friend over shipping the card. My friend requested an investigation, ebay did their thing, both accounts got banned, and he was refunded all fees.

Thanks for the responses.

The second highest bidder has offered to buy it, which is good because it saves a lot of messing about.

I have also put in a complaint to ebay about the fake buyer.

I think I'll just stay away from ebay in future.

carlgeorge said:

The second highest bidder has offered to buy it, which is good because it saves a lot of messing about.

Amazon.com is they way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like craigslist, no fees no bullshit. of course there a smaller audience.

but seriously, fuck ebay - right in the pooper. They are on the same level as telephone, gas, and cable companies in my book.

beavith said:
carlgeorge said:

Amazon marketplace is almost as bad.

Enverex said:
beavith said:
carlgeorge said:

Amazon marketplace is almost as bad.
I really haven't had any problems with it. Then again i'm only buying.

Enverex said:
Friend of mine just had this happen when trying to sell his Blackberry. The buyer claimed to be in the USA (we're in the UK). When requesting payment, my friend was then asked "Oh, can you ship it to Nigeria?". Lets just say he ended up having to relist.
This happened to me with my a psp I was selling, only I was dumb enough to actually ship the damn thing. Least I didn't give any account info or anything. Probably one of my biggest facepalm moments, but a lesson well learned =/

Consequence9 said:
This happened to me with my a psp I was selling, only I was dumb enough to actually ship the damn thing. Least I didn't give any account info or anything. Probably one of my biggest facepalm moments, but a lesson well learned =/

Happened to my friend's iPod, not cool.

Not only eBay.. In Holland we've got Marktplaats.nl, same shit happened to me when I wanted to buy a Dreamcast. I paid, he didn't send anything. The company doesn't do anything accept that they tell you to go to the police. And the police says Marktplaats will do the job.. Really frustrating how no-one seems to know who's fault it is.

Back