I Feel Down

Sarlix very kindly posted me a video of some of the stuff I would run if I had a Pandora so that I can see how they currently run.

As I was typing a reply saying many thanks and about never getting my Google checkout reply, would you believe it it came through (I did have to send a 2nd message but what the hell)

I am now off to get my credit card and put in my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian_J said:
Sarlix very kindly posted me a video of some of the stuff I would run if I had a Pandora so that I can see how they currently run.

As I was typing a reply saying many thanks and about never getting my Google checkout reply, would you believe it it came through (I did have to send a 2nd message but what the hell)

I am now off to get my credit card and put in my purchase.

That doesn't mean this thread's about to close, does it? I was having so much fun!

EvilDragon said:
I'll try... I hope the cases for my clones will be finished within the next two months.
And painting them shouldn't take too long.

I just hope they won't use green paint for the skins :D

Speaking of cases, some good news:
4000 more cases are produced and currently being painted (hopefully, without the buttons :p )
1000 or 1500 (we still are thinking about the amount we need) will go via UPS and the rest via sea (it's cheaper. Takes about 20 - 25 days, but it will take a while until we used up the 1500 cases anyways).

As said, next week, we'll get about 400 boards that will go into the cases we still have.
I get 3200 LCD cables to solder next week (yay!)

At the moment, a lot of preparation is going on - so that we basically only need to stick the boards in once they arrive.
The last 2500 units will be built way faster than the ones before, as we can prepare everything.

And yes, the additional 1000 cases will also be used to sell you modders out there for spare :D

Best Pandora news I've heard in ages. Thanks for the update ED. Cases basically done. Board manufacturer faster and on its way. :)

EvilDragon said:
Speaking of cases, some good news:
4000 more cases are produced and currently being painted (hopefully, without the buttons :p )
1000 or 1500 (we still are thinking about the amount we need) will go via UPS and the rest via sea (it's cheaper. Takes about 20 - 25 days, but it will take a while until we used up the 1500 cases anyways).

Sounds good. :)
Shipping them with a Ship is cheaper then shipping them with an Airplane? Wow, I really thought it was the opposite situation.
I also hope that the Buttons are not painted this time. :) We will see it soon. I also hope, the New cases have a better fitting between lid and base. I guess Machine adjustments can improve some things here. We will see too.

EvilDragon said:

About the Pandora said:
However, it is not as big as a netbook. Believe it or not, it will fit in your pocket. It's a bit bigger than the Nintendo DS.
A small correction: It's a bit bigger than the Nintendo DS Lite. It is actually smaller than then the (original) Nintendo DS.

How the Pandora came to be said:
looking at the reactions from those who already have a unit!
Link reactions to 'What users say about it'

What can you do with it? -- Gaming said:
You can check out the appstore what's available already
I would change the appstore into a link.

What can you do with it? -- pc functions said:
The Pandora offers a complete desktop mode. That does mean: Windows, a start menu, multitasking.
I would not say Windows here as many might confuse this with Microsoft Windows.

What can you do with it said:
[Multimedia]
Listen to your music, view your pictures or watch movies on the go. The Pandora is equipped with two full sized SD-slots to provide you with sufficient storage and supports a wide range of multimedia codecs. No need to re-encode your media either, as the Pandora is powerful enough to handle up to 720p movies.
Add Multimedia category, above is an example.

Will any of the extra 1000 cases be reserved for starting on Batch 2, or will Batch 2 consist of parts entirely from a new component order?

Aurekana said:
Will any of the extra 1000 cases be reserved for starting on Batch 2, or will Batch 2 consist of parts entirely from a new component order?
The latter. But there should not be too much of a break between the batches, once production speeds up.

vadsamoht said:
Aurekana said:
The latter. But there should not be too much of a break between the batches, once production speeds up.

Good News. Here I was wondering if OPT would make us Batch-2-ers wait 2 years just so we could share that great Pandora experience like the rest of you folk. =P

Aurekana said:
Good News. Here I was wondering if OPT would make us Batch-2-ers wait 2 years just so we could share that great Pandora experience like the rest of you folk. =P
No, that's a batch of honour reserved for the first batchers. It makes us special :D

Do you have to post this in so many threads?

By the way, preorders started less than two years ago (september 30 2008).

jutley said:
The pandora legacy seems to suprise us once more,
The small black box we have all learned to adore,

The number of pandoras are comming thick and fast,
For all those who had preordered 3 years ago at last,

Time to saddle up and prepare theres a storm comming,
The pandora is here atlast after three years running.

By PJ.
You might need to revise your wording. September 2008 was not three years ago. ;)

EDIT: Mondo-ninja'd. I have a very laggy connection tonight. My apologies.

ah yes but you all dont know yet that you all got to wait another year yet one step ahead.

Caine said:
I would change the appstore into a link.

Thanks a lot for all your small corrections. Will do them (most likely) tomorrow.
I planned putting links there, I was just dead tired yesterday (and am today... need to get some sleep now).

I'm also planning to make more videos for newcomers as well as some tips and tweaks for users who just got their Pandora :)

Last edited:
No problem. Glad to see lots of stuff getting into motion.

I've missed your nice videos lately. The past ones were all very enjoyable.

Caine said:
What can you do with it? -- pc functions said:
The Pandora offers a complete desktop mode. That does mean: Windows, a start menu, multitasking.
I would not say Windows here as many might confuse this with Microsoft Windows.

At least not capitalized, which suggests a proper name and confuses even more (perhaps excluding Germans who are used to capitalizing every noun :) )

Adventus said:
no overclock functions built in (loading that separate app everytime you want to change speeds is a PITA.)
As was mentioned in the mupen thread, for emulators that work with X11 I'm pretty sure you can make a script which sets the CPU speed and map it to a button. I'm sure if you ask for one, some one will make it pretty easy.

If you could code you might realise:
1. IMO Making menus is possibly the most boring thing a coder can do. Any lower level programmer (AKA someone who makes an emulator) who is working for free would much prefer to spend their time using their talents.
2. It's not that easy. Most menus are based around QT/GTK (which are large libraries) and can be really messy. They also impose a standard input mechanism designed for PC, which is why you might need to use the mouse for some things. It may not even be possible to changes this without modifying GTK.

The whole point of the "linux bloat" is to give a standard interface to the programs.
Well I don't use XFCE. I hate it for loading emus, it is too mouse/touchscreen reliant and too many steps to get to the app and I wouldn't have the room for them all to clutter onto the desktop. I only use it if I need to edit a config file on the Pandora. Having to map to a button and change speed manually everytime is not good. It would be much nicer if it could be set in a config so it just does it when you load the emu then resets it back to default on exit. Then we don't have to think about it.

If I could code I probably would like to do menus because I would suck too much to do low level emu coding (and menus are sorely needed).

As you said the linux bloat QT etc is designed for a PC and may need to use the touchscreen for things. That is why those menus SUCK (well on a handheld anyway). Having to fumble around with the stylus just to load a game is retarded. It is terrible design and requires unneeded steps and fucking around for nothing. There really isn't much of a standard interface now even with the linux bloat. There is zenity which is crap and some other windowy touchscreen crap thing out there, but again why do I need to fumble with a stylus and scratch/muck up the screen to do such a trivial task? It makes no sense. All someone needs to do is make a lean and configurable front-end that could be integrated into any game app. This could then be used by anyone that needs/wants it. Then there would be no need for the PC-ish bloat menus.

I use the d-pad and the enter key just fine with the Zenity stuff, myself. :) There's no need to use the stylus if you don't want to, at least as far as those go.

Back