I-c3 Rechargeable Batteries

shinneri

Certified Guru
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
2,393
Age
31
Location
Middle of Nowhere, USA
Website
www.gpnewbie.com
Now, I realize that in general only reviews for GP32 software and games in placed here, but I think that these things deserve a mention.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...uct%5Fid=23-038

I recently went to my local RadioShack to pick up some rechargeable batteries. While looking, I came across these RadioShack I-C3 batteries that promised 15 minute charging time with 1,000 recharges and extended life compared to regular batteries. That was a pretty weighty claim, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and bought the two-battery charger and two additional batteries.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Charging Time
The package said "Revolutionary 15-minute charging technology!" and, you know what, they weren't kidding. I brought them home put them in the charger and plugged it in. 15-20 minutes later, the little green light and fan turn off. I let them cool (they were very hot) and then put them in my GP32. Worked like a charm.

Life
Well, I don't know about their claim that they last longer than regular batteries. In my experience, they last just about as long, but that's pretty good. I get about 8-9 hours per charge (in my BLU), and, once the charge runs out, I put them in the charger and I'm playing my GP again 15 minutes later. Very nice. :)

I can't really confirm the 1,000 charge claims since that would take a really long time. :p

Value
It was $30 USD for the two-battery charge and two batteries. I think the additional batteries were $12. So far, I haven't even opened the additional ones, since the two that came with the charger charge so quickly.

These batteries really have allowed me to play my GP much more since I don't have to worry about buying new batteries or enduring long charging times. Overall, very good batteries and a very good value. :D

Score:
5/5
 

p j

Walk into the Shadows, Step from the Light
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
612
Age
31
Location
bringoutthegimp's custom member name
Website
Visit site
shinneri posted on Mar 20 2005 at 07:49 PM said:
Now, I realize that in general only reviews for GP32 software and games in placed here, but I think that these things deserve a mention.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...uct%5Fid=23-038

I recently went to my local RadioShack to pick up some rechargeable batteries. While looking, I came across these RadioShack I-C3 batteries that promised 15 minute charging time with 1,000 recharges and extended life compared to regular batteries. That was a pretty weighty claim, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and bought the two-battery charger and two additional batteries.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Charging Time
The package said "Revolutionary 15-minute charging technology!" and, you know what, they weren't kidding. I brought them home put them in the charger and plugged it in. 15-20 minutes later, the little green light and fan turn off. I let them cool (they were very hot) and then put them in my GP32. Worked like a charm.

Life
Well, I don't know about their claim that they last longer than regular batteries. In my experience, they last just about as long, but that's pretty good. I get about 8-9 hours per charge (in my BLU), and, once the charge runs out, I put them in the charger and I'm playing my GP again 15 minutes later. Very nice. :)

I can't really confirm the 1,000 charge claims since that would take a really long time. :p

Value
It was $30 USD for the two-battery charge and two batteries. I think the additional batteries were $12. So far, I haven't even opened the additional ones, since the two that came with the charger charge so quickly.

These batteries really have allowed me to play my GP much more since I don't have to worry about buying new batteries or enduring long charging times. Overall, very good batteries and a very good value. :D

Score:
5/5
Cool, i might consider importing, Great review thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:

onionfrog

Sir Cheapass Gamer
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
584
Location
Battle Creek, MI, USA
Website
Visit site
sounds good. I should get some rechargable because it get annoying going out and buying a bunch of batteries every once in a while. Right now i'm out and dont have $ for some more... :(
But i have my ac adaptor :)
 

Jred

Still Fresh
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
8
I just started a post under i need help saying my screen blanked out and reset and everyone said to get rechargeable batteries so i went to rat shack.

I just got the same setup 2 days ago, the 2000 mha I-C3 batteries and man they do rock. after the initial charge my gp32 has gone at least 6 hours now on my FLU with the light on and at about 160mhz and still hasn't messed up. i'm quite impressed with these batteries.

And they really do only take 15 minutes to charge
 

DemonStar55

chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
1,889
Age
31
Location
Wrentham, MA
Website
demonstar55.phpnet.us
I have these too I usually have to charge them once a week depending on my useage

they work very well

Jred posted on Mar 20 2005 at 04:01 PM said:
I just started a post under i need help saying my screen blanked out and reset and everyone said to get rechargeable batteries so i went to rat shack.

I just got the same setup 2 days ago, the 2000 mha I-C3 batteries and man they do rock. after the initial charge my gp32 has gone at least 6 hours now on my FLU with the light on and at about 160mhz and still hasn't messed up. i'm quite impressed with these batteries.

And they really do only take 15 minutes to charge
I think that was me :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

0-bake

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Messages
537
hm..thats strange...

i always use 2000mAh NiMH rechargebles, but i could swear, they just last for max. 4 hours. i can't say it for sure, because i mostly just play for a couple of minutes.
but i sometimes travel by train and it is about 3 hours trip. and shortly after that time, they are empty.
and i have 8 rechargebles by 2 different brands and they last the same time. :blink:
 

Esn

(:";
Joined
Mar 5, 2003
Messages
3,239
Location
Toronto, Canada
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
onionfrog posted on Mar 20 2005 at 08:12 PM said:
sounds good. I should get some rechargable because it get annoying going out and buying a bunch of batteries every once in a while. Right now i'm out and dont have $ for some more... :(
But i have my ac adaptor :)
I guess you were one of those people who believed Nintendo's claim that rechargeable batteries are bad for your GBC? ;) (it isn't true, by the way. The battery companies probably pay Nintendo good money to keep saying that because they know that that's a sizeable chunk of their business)

0-bake posted on Mar 20 2005 at 10:13 PM said:
hm..thats strange...

i always use 2000mAh NiMH rechargebles, but i could swear, they just last for max. 4 hours. i can't say it for sure, because i mostly just play for a couple of minutes.
but i sometimes travel by train and it is about 3 hours trip. and shortly after that time, they are empty.
and i have 8 rechargebles by 2 different brands and they last the same time. :blink:
I know what you mean. :blink: They really don't last that long (though longer than NiCd batteries) but it's not really a problem for me because I usually have a second set charging up while I use one set. I guess it's the combination of front-light and high cpu speed that drains them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
T

TelcoLou

Guest
NiMH rechargebles lose their charge over time. I just recently found this out. :lol:
 

0-bake

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Messages
537
i think, the NiMH rechargebles have a huge lifespan.
i heard about 500 times recharging guaranteed without performance loss.
so, if you charge it 2 times a week, they will last for 5 years!
 

killbarney

Still Fresh
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
95
Age
31
Location
North Wales
Website
Visit site
0-bake posted on Mar 23 2005 at 12:56 AM said:
i think, the NiMH rechargebles have a huge lifespan.
i heard about 500 times recharging guaranteed without performance loss.
so, if you charge it 2 times a week, they will last for 5 years!
WOW, long life then! :rolleyes:
I've been thinking about getting rechargables for ages but I haven't got round to buying them. Nice review by the way, I'll have a look at these. :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

aapje89

Still here...
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
2,753
Age
30
Location
The Netherlands
Website
Visit site
killbarney posted on Mar 23 2005 at 11:00 AM said:
0-bake posted on Mar 23 2005 at 12:56 AM said:
i think, the NiMH rechargebles have a huge lifespan.
i heard about 500 times recharging guaranteed without performance loss.
so, if you charge it 2 times a week, they will last for 5 years!
WOW, long life then! :rolleyes:
I've been thinking about getting rechargables for ages but I haven't got round to buying them. Nice review by the way, I'll have a look at these. :D
A dutch magazine tested different brands of NiMH's, and the result was that some "cheap" brands only had 50 % after 50 times charging :blink:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mars

Still Fresh
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
6
I, after reading this review, went out and picked myself up some radio shack I-c3 batteries and have been very happy with them. Its important (maybe?) to note that the 15 minute charger will also charge your other, non- I-c3 batteries, but that takes hours (I believe the package simply states "overnight"). I've been getting something like 4 to 6 hours per charge on them while running NES at something like 133mhz with my BLU. But let me tell you, those things are HOT when then come out... Youchy! I cool them off before putting them in.

Thanks for the excellent review, this product is definately worth considering for everyone.
 

Fyvve

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
252
Age
37
Location
KC Mo
Website
Visit site
I didnt read this whole thread so if this has already been mentioned sorry. But right now these 15 minute batteries are on clearance. I mean the double a 4 packs are $9.97. I work at radioshack and at my store we have at least 5 packs left. But once they are gone, they are gone. They have been discontinued. Good deals here store wide actually. Lots of stuff on clearance. Anyway just so you all know!
 
Top