Rechargeable Batteries

HungryWolf

Still Fresh
Dammit, I just went out and bought 40 dollar batteries and a charger, and when I put them in the GP32, It won't turn on. What the hell? They are Energizer 2200 mAh NiMH batteries. Now I'm out 40 bucks.

Yup, and I feel like an idiot now. I thought, like regular batteries, they'd already be charged. :p

One reason you'll never find NiMHs for sale already charged, is that they self-discharge... that is they lose energy over time just sitting on a shelf.

That is NiMH's only downside... but it's pretty inconsequential because you can charge them to "top them up" anytime you want, as opposed to NiCad, which are supposed to be fully depleted before charging, or you lose capacity.

And if you use those new Rayovac IC-3 batteries it only takes 15 minutes to charge so it is no big deal.

Morwynd posted on Feb 4 2005 at 12:51 AM said:
One reason you'll never find NiMHs for sale already charged, is that they self-discharge... that is they lose energy over time just sitting on a shelf.

That is NiMH's only downside... but it's pretty inconsequential because you can charge them to "top them up" anytime you want, as opposed to NiCad, which are supposed to be fully depleted before charging, or you lose capacity.

How rapidly do they self-discharge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back