I Bought An Atari 2600

xbox85

Still Fresh
When i turn it on i get the light on the atari but get no signal on the tv. I bought one of those rf adapters so it would work i dont think i have the right kind of adapter. Anyone no anything about these things. I want to play some old school games. I think its the atari 2600 jr thow.

I can't see it being a case of the TV being "too new". To a TV an RF signal is an RF signal. The only thing it cares about is if it is PAL, NTSC or SECAM lol.

Are the contacts dirty or rusty on the Atari?
Does the RF convertor have any switches?
The Atari itself might be busted in some way...
Do you get any picture (even a shimmer) at all?

NO. Is the atari suppost to make a noise because it doesnt? I didnt have an rf adpater so i had to go buy one. I then read something about a certain kind of rf adapter the one i got plugs into an outlet for power and has a 3 and 4 channel swich. There is a light on the rf adapter that goes on when it gets the signal from the system. No light came on so i tried it with my xbox and it worked.

xbox85 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 04:21 PM said:
NO. Is the atari suppost to make a noise because it doesnt? I didnt have an rf adpater so i had to go buy one. I then read something about a certain kind of rf adapter the one i got plugs into an outlet for power and has a 3 and 4 channel swich. There is a light on the rf adapter that goes on when it gets the signal from the system. No light came on so i tried it with my xbox and it worked.

Are you saying you got it to work? If not RadioShack (if youre in the US) sells the thing you need. Its discontinued now so you might have trouble finding it but as them to call the other stores in the area for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyvve posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:17 PM said:
xbox85 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 04:21 PM said:

Are you saying you got it to work? If not RadioShack (if youre in the US) sells the thing you need. Its discontinued now so you might have trouble finding it but as them to call the other stores in the area for it.

No i never got picture out of it. The light on the atari always turned on but that is all i have right now to tell me if its working or not. I still believe my problem is getting the signal to my tv. The doesnt have sound does it? this is my first old school video game system other then nintendo.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 15 2006 at 04:26 AM said:
Yes they have sound.
Sorry to ask a silly question (I'm just trying to cover all bases here) did you tune in the Atari on your TV?
Otherwise maybe the RF out on the Atari is busted...

I dont no what u mean by tune the rf but if your talking about have them adjusted to the right channel then yes. Where does the sound come from? Inside the system? If thats the case is there suppost to be a startup sound because i dont have one.

Have you got an automatic tuning function on your tv?

If so, put it to an empty channel, turn on your atari thing and start up automatic tuning

Dunno whether that'll work, but it did for my dvd.

Nova posted on Sep 15 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
Have you got an automatic tuning function on your tv?

If so, put it to an empty channel, turn on your atari thing and start up automatic tuning

Dunno whether that'll work, but it did for my dvd.
I dont think it will because the rca inputs i have are basically video1 video2 so i cant plug it in one of those because the atari is looking for channel 3. So i had to buy an rf adapter but i think i bought the wrong type. I read i need a mechanical one not a automatic one. I really dont no wich one i have but mine is from sears and plugs into an outlet for power and has a 3 and 4 channel switch on it in the rca inputs with the coax connectioins. So the sound goes threw the signal and will make a sound even though there is no left and right audio connection?

UPDATE: I found an old nintendo rf adapter. I get a staticy pic i can cleary see a game but behind static and there is no sound. Im sure its not the right rf adapter but its all i could find at the moment.

sam fisher posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:10 PM said:
Tune your TV god dammit! TUNE IT!

Tune my tv how. the atari is set too channel 3 and so is the tv. the rf doesnt have a switch.

Depends on the make of the TV, but to tune in a channel you usually do something like this:
Press preset.
Use the volume controls or similar on the TV to change the frequency
When you have the picture of the the Channel that you want (in this case the atari)
Press preset again to save the tuning.

Of course this is a just an general explanation, and if you don't know how to tune a channel on your TV, I suggest you either ask someone that does... or find your TV instruction manual.

TelcoLou posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:12 PM said:
Could any of these help you?

Ebay Listings
Actually i tried that silver one ethat says for atari at my cuzs house same simptoms. He pulled it off of a atari 400.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Depends on the make of the TV, but to tune in a channel you usually do something like this:
Press preset.
Use the volume controls or similar on the TV to change the frequency
When you have the picture of the the Channel that you want (in this case the atari)
Press preset again to save the tuning.

Of course this is a just an general explanation, and if you don't know how to tune a channel on your TV, I suggest you either ask someone that does... or find your TV instruction manual.
I ever really new you could tune it. ill give it a try.

nope cant find any option too tune. I have a crappy apex tv.(if that helps)

xbox85 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
nope cant find any option too tune. I have a crappy apex tv.(if that helps)

Got a model number?

Also, is there a setup or menu button on the remote?

EDIT:

Look here:

http://support.apexdigitalinc.com/manualdownload.asp

It's every manual for every apex TV, just find the one you have

Model number is AT861071669. tryin to get pics soon oh u mean the tv its pf2725

Back