I assume you are all familiar with Rule 34?

Non-pr0n Pandora-tans would be cool. As with all the Linux distos.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original OS-tans were actually pretty well thought out.[...]
Well, that would be better. All tans I have yet seen are just generic anime girls with no connection whatsoever to the product besides the logos (but I allready wrote that above, no need to do it again)

But still, just color-coding them does not make them an anthropomorphisation (more like fangirls) and just adjusting their personally a bit might work very well in the comics mangas but doesn't work in the single images thrown around so much.

EDIT: Granted, Operating systems have no physical form, so a "real" anthro might not be possible (but one could at least try to make them look more software-y, like Tron did back in 1982 or like Cortana from Halo, or pixelate them slightly or anything), but many other things that got Tans DO have a physical form which just gets thrown out of the window.

You don't see women in real life wearing bits of video game consoles, so you have to ask your Internet friends to draw some, then you feel self-pity.

It's the same reason why cars on TV have women sitting on them sometimes, because people like things that are cool and things that are sexy, and if you put them together, and ignore how stupid it is, it's even twice as cool.
But they're supposed to be an anthropomorphisied versions of the products (e.g. versions of the product with some human features), not just showgirls oogling over it. I doubt Angelina was supposed to represent a car (or did people ride her? :lol: ). A real anthropomorphic car would range from K.I.T.T. (basically a car with intelligence and a voice) to the ones from the Disney movie "cars" (voice, intelligence, facial features) to full-blown bipedal ones (can't remember any example, transformers might apply, but they don't really look like cars anymore when transformed)

If the tans were just Booth Babes, I wouldn't really care

Edit: You're thinking of manga
true

Aaaanyway, I digress. I'll try to not bring up the Tan thing anymore - I do not want to get you all to hate me (yet)

PS: Sorry for derailing the thread

That was a thread derail? I thought it seemed pretty in-line with what was being talked about, since -tans do often get subject to Rule 34 quite often. :p

Anyway, to add to what was already said:

I created the race queen-like -tan from the tread WizardStan linked. My good friend created the 2nd one that used to be shown there, but he changed his Pixiv settings and locked the image from off-site viewing by accident.

I did some research over the past year or so regarding the subject, but I'm no expert, so some of my info may be inaccurate. Most -tans aren't created as pr0n, or with pr0n in mind, but rather get subjected to it later due to sexual appeal and Rule 34. Arguably, XP-tan is the subject most often taken advantage of, and with her appearance you can probably see why.

OS-tans tend to have less anthro-type features since, as you've mentioned, there isn't really any tangible form they can take advantage of other than colors and recognizable features or images from the OS. Those features tend to get worked into clothing, accessories, bodily appearance, and personality. Meanwhile console-tans tend to work in features from the console itself, including buttons, screens, colors, and so on. These tend to be more anthropomorphic. In this sense, my Pandora-tan is a failure.

You could pretty much make a -tan (or -kun, a male version) out of almost any product by taking defining features or characteristics from the product and applying it to a character. The easier it is to tell what the product being represented is, the more successful the design (generally speaking).

These are most often not officially-licensed designs, and almost always originate from the art communities. The ones that become the most popular tend to end up being thought of as the 'officially recognized' ones.

~ However, the most important aspect of a -tan is the concept of moe. ~

Pronounced "mo-eh," it's the concept of loveability or attraction, things you find likable about something. You could think of it as "that fuzzy feeling you get when you see or think about [insert noun or pronoun]." While this concept seems to be used mostly for anime and manga-styled girls, one can have moe for cute animals (or anthros), or even, in some cases, products. Fairly recently it also seems to have become a sound effect in anime, and possibly even among otaku in Japan, something you say when you get that feeling or see someone getting that feeling.

And after that ridiculously long essay, I conclude this post. :lol:

<snip>There's also a running joke in the series that the size of their breasts are related to how much RAM they need: concept sketches of Vista were pretty much all boob.</snip>
Wouldn't it make sense that total size would correspond to total RAM? Excuse me for shrewdness, but I don't think I know anyone who wants an operating system that takes up a large amount of RAM, but rather tolerates it.

Wouldn't it make sense that total size would correspond to total RAM? Excuse me for shrewdness, but I don't think I know anyone who wants an operating system that takes up a large amount of RAM, but rather tolerates it.
Well it's probably not practical in real life to have large amounts of "RAM", but it allows for better eye candy and more features (in computers). At some point the impracticality would definitely outweigh anything else.

Basically, they mixed "RAM usage", "eye candy", and "featurefulness" into one visual scalar.

Massive amounts of RAM usage is overrated. I'm just saying.

Well it's probably not practical in real life to have large amounts of "RAM", but it allows for better eye candy and more features (in computers). At some point the impracticality would definitely outweigh anything else.

Basically, they mixed "RAM usage", "eye candy", and "featurefulness" into one visual scalar.
Well, an operating system that uses very little RAM is called "light weight" and an operating system can have plenty of eye candy without using too much RAM, and vise-versa. Also, there is a very large amount of RAM that is not eye candy, but eye candy does add to it. Also, many prefer very little eye candy, and many prefer a whole lot of eye candy in their operating system.

I'm trying to remember properly (will do research later), but I believe the breast size was more related to minimum specs than to how much it used. XP-tan, for example, has large breasts, but because XP "eats" a lot of RAM, XP-tan is portrayed as a constant eater, often shown carrying around a rice cooker.

I think that whole concept is something the -tan creators just adopted as a generality as opposed to a rule tho. :p

As far as Rule 34, someone posted a picture they drew of the Pandora and someone mentioned the nubs looked like unmentionables. I think that's the closest the Pandora has come to prawn.

Edit: It's the gift that keeps on giving!

pepe1.jpg

</offtopic>

This thread cannot die without the acknowledgement of EvilDragon or cragix.

i dont think they wonna touch this one with a Two Months pole

Back