I am unhappy with my web design assignment

Blue Protoman

So I take Web Design. It's a half-year course. My final? Make a website based on a product. Write about the Pandora, easy A. Right? Wrong. We get ASSIGNED products. We do not get to pick. Instead of writing about the best handheld in existence, what am I assigned?

Coca-Cola. I don't even like soda.

Fucking bullshit.

[/rant]

[mod edit] title changed from WWRRRRAAAAAGH to something descriptive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least theres a wealth of material to work with. They once pumped legal cocaine, gave St Nick a make over, advertised to the SS youth, created Fanta to make up for the war shortages and regularly drain the water table of third world countries whilst hiring mercenaries to kill union members. In addition their products come in brain tumor inducing varieties and their head CEO, wants a Coke tap in every house 'cos hes a megalomaniac.

Pity you couldn't choose Pandora though. Maybe in two months.

You could say that designing a website using Coca Cola as an example would be breaching their copyright and trademarks, but you believe you could get permission from those kind people at open pandora to go nuts in designing a website.

Alternatively could you politely decline on ethical grounds. http://killercoke.org. As far as I know CraigX hasn't sanctioned any murders, not for a moment would I would suggest Coca Cola have either.

Why don't you incorporate as many Pandoras into the website as you can. Although it's advertising coke there's nowt to say that you can't crowbar whatever you fancy. In fact I would make the whole site appear to be solely about the Pandora, with just a subtle, almost invisible reference to coke. You could use the 'Emperor's new clothes' argument.

I'm not writing an essay, I'm making a site, Pandio. I doubt the CEO would want the site sharing his megalomania opinions of Coke. The site doesn't even mention that real cocaine was once used. And plus, I have to sift through a load of crap to find something decent to write about.

gyp: If used for education (remember, this is a high school class), you can violate as many copyright laws as you want. At least in America. That argument is invalid. Also, I'd look like a cheap retard to her and everyone for using the Killer Coke argument, and I'd still get points off.

If I fight my teacher on this topic, I will probably get an F.

In your first post, you didn't write "a site to advertise a product", but a site based on a product". I say you could go with the suggested ideas, would be much funnier to make.

If you ask me, getting assigned a product to work with doesn't seem like a bad idea, even if you don't happen to like the one you've been assigned. At least you can give your imagination a workout.

If I had that one, and still desperately wanted to feature the Pandora, I'd dedicate a small part of the site (like, one page or less, so as not to dilute what I'm actually *supposed* to be working on) to a fictional promotion being run to win one, or something. :p

Now that I've cooled down a bit, I think I can actually get work done on this.

Oh well. Maybe Web Design II (next semester, starting on Monday) will open up the gate for me. Or should I say the box?

By the way, if I put up the sites I've made for the class, would you guys look at them? They're all done in iWeb, so make what you will of that.

By the way, if I put up the sites I've made for the class, would you guys look at them? They're all done in iWeb, so make what you will of that.
I work in web design - well not really, as it's mainly intranet websites, and my main field of dev is server-side Java and C++, but I also do some website programming, Java/JSP/Webworks and PHP mostly.

I'll definitely have a look if you want, although one of my golden rule is: if your grand-mother likes it and wants to use it, then it's good :p

I work in web design - well not really, as it's mainly intranet websites, and my main field of dev is server-side Java and C++, but I also do some website programming, Java/JSP/Webworks and PHP mostly.

I'll definitely have a look if you want, although one of my golden rule is: if your grand-mother likes it and wants to use it, then it's good :p

I'm taking a IT class, and it's my second year. We've had about Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, MySQL, and now visual developer and writing codes in C++.

Since your field is Java and C++, I just wonder.. Is this it? Writing Array codes and coding things like a quiz? Or does it get harder?

Looked through my book and it's pretty much the same like code a generator etc. :p

Heh... my Web Design teacher forbade us from using any sort of program that wasn't a text editor. He was a cool guy, but he demanded that we always knew exactly what we were typing. Everything was done by hand. By the time the semester was over and it was time to move to Advanced Web Design, I was the only one in the class because everyone else chose different electives. That was a fun class.

Heh... my Web Design teacher forbade us from using any sort of program that wasn't a text editor. He was a cool guy, but he demanded that we always knew exactly what we were typing. Everything was done by hand.
Yeah well.. I would do the same thing if I was a web design teacher ;) Everyone can play around with Dreamweaver, the important thing is to really know wtf you're doing :)

Heh... my Web Design teacher forbade us from using any sort of program that wasn't a text editor. He was a cool guy, but he demanded that we always knew exactly what we were typing. Everything was done by hand. By the time the semester was over and it was time to move to Advanced Web Design, I was the only one in the class because everyone else chose different electives. That was a fun class.

our programming lecturer/teacher has 2 rules:

1) if your phone disturbs the class, you buy everyone a mars bar

2) if 'grep "goto" foo.c' prints anything out, you get zero by default

My teacher wanted that our php websites passes successfully the W3C test for XHTML 1.0 strict (1.1 wasn't yet there) and the CSS had to be compatible with firefox, IE and safari.

It was a real pain, but the XHTML 1.0 strict gave me the rigor when coding websites and I learned a bunch of tricks to make my CSS cross browser.

We could use any webdesign software, but he forbade us to use the WYSIWIG editor.
smile.gif

I'm taking a IT class, and it's my second year. We've had about Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, MySQL, and now visual developer and writing codes in C++.

Since your field is Java and C++, I just wonder.. Is this it? Writing Array codes and coding things like a quiz? Or does it get harder?

Looked through my book and it's pretty much the same like code a generator etc. :p
Languages are really never that hard. Once you learn the syntax and get some practice on them, they become easy and intuitive. Any language.

Then the difficulties (and fun/interesting parts about the job) come later: design patterns, object-oriented design, concurrency programming (multi-threaded environments), test-driven development, and more importantly how to write simple code. It's easy to write something really complicated as you code along, but refactoring it constantly to keep it simple and kill outdated branches, making it easy to understand for your teammates is a lot harder. Basically having something that's more than a few thousands lines of code that will survive you (because it will be easier to maintain it after you're gone than rewriting it from scratch) is surprisingly difficult. You'd be surprised by the number of crappy pieces of code (that just happen to work by chance) you can find even in the more prestigious software houses. In many cases it's just, "how, I have to maintain that shit and add features to it? Will take less time to rewrite it from scratch".

Think about the knowledge of the language as any engineer tool: it's absolutely mandatory to master it to do a good work, but it's far from being enough.

Two excellent rules. You'd be surprised to hear that in my office, we still have rule #1 in effect in our team :) If one of your commits breaks the team build overnight (on our continuous integration server), then you have to buy a cake :) We call that a cakeable offense.

goto.png

Back