I accidentally broke the LCD screen of my Pandora

It costs money though and will take 2 months to get it back (I could be wrong though).

Can I get a new unit without having to send the broken one?
I would fix it or have ED fixes for you. I wouldn't replace this unit of yours with another unit.  The reason is your unit can go up to 1300MHz!  You've owned a rare specie of Pandora there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well great.

That component got completely disconnected, which I don't mind, but the solder cools down well before the component can squish it.

Maybe I'll try heating the bottom of the component too?

Maybe you could use a small piece of copper wire to conduct the heat. Will need to grab the copper wire with some tweezers (as it will get hot).

I think you could even get one end of copper wire under the component while you heat the other side. Then once the solder melts on the pad and the component you can pull the wire out of the way and press on the component, hopefully welding it to the pad.

Or glue it down upside down and solder two little wires. Not sure if this is a good idea but it could work.

I replaced a small surface mount fet on a circuit board recently with a heat gun as I was having little luck with a standard soldering iron. It worked great but it's a dangerous procedure, the hard part is that you will need a way of protecting the rest of the circuitry from the heat so you don't accidentally melt off any other components. All I did was ensure the pads on the board were properly tinned with solder, placed the component in the proper place and apply the heat from the heat gun wait for the solder to melt, pushed down gently with a pair of tweezers and waited for it to cool.

...wow...

I think I'll try just keeping the copper wire underneath the part and just leave it there, soldered.

Would that be bad?

Or the wires... would that work?

The copper wires didn't want to conduct the heat, so I was just going to solder on the component to copper wires that I soldered in. :p

The shoulder button for some reason doesn't want to be soldered on either, and neither does the DC plug...

And in the process of swapping the keyboard casing for a new one, I accidentally ripped the LCD cable and the LCD cable is unselectable in the replacement parts.

What do I do about that part?

If the solder doesn't want to reflow you might have an iron with a too low thermal capacity.

You can help the solder by applying some flux or new solder to the joint.

the solder used in todays manifacturing processes is lead free what makes it harder to reflow it.

Edit: Or get some better iron like Weller branded ones. They are not cheap though.

If you damaged other parts by now, it might be better to send it to ED for a proper fix than accidentally break anything vital.

It costs money though and will take 2 months to get it back (I could be wrong though).
Hey yo!  Just send it in and pray.  That's what I did!  Then I thought..."What did I put on the RMA sheet?"  I also thought...."Did the ED get it? Does he need my login which I didn't think to supply?  Is my address correct?  Can it be fixed?"  Those question will be answered in time(I hope), but it's just gonna take longer to get it repaired if you dwell on how long it will take.  It might even take more than two months.

Askarus does the repairs twice a week, so it shouldn't take long here. Longest time will be shipping, probably.

I think I'm going to send mine in for repair too...

Do I need to open a ticket, or can I just send it with the RMA sheet and wait?

Hey yo!  Got my Pandora back yesterday and I'm feelin  good.  Feel like I have excitations or something.  Thanks to The Evil Dragon and crew and whoever got my Pandora back to me!   Not two months amigo!  Not two months!!  Sorry to The Evil Dragon for worrying his nerves on a few of those days!  I feel like Pandy tonight!  Brother!!  Oh yeah!!!

I'd rather get a new one from a place located in the USA (such as Link's shop).
Are you talking about a new Pandora or a new screen?  I bought my Pandora from Link's shop.  I don't know if Link does repairs or not.  I know that he has been busy though.  That's why I started bothering The Evil Dragon.  He said to send it in.  I was like, "Ok." 

P.S.  I know The ED is super busy too.  I was just speaking as to why my communications with Link were like two shy people playing tag.

P.P.S.  That's not a slight to Link.  He hooked me up with my Pandora sooner than I was expecting.  Life happens sometimes...you know?  If you don't, disregard the P.P.S.

Back